PDA

View Full Version : removing anno?

chaz69
01-18-2010, 11:16 AM
Is there a way that is safe to the aluminum for removing anno?
I know you can use oven cleaner but not sure how safe that is.

Would simple wet sanding do the trick followed by some polishing?

DevilMan
01-18-2010, 11:21 AM
Yes you can sand the anno off, but those hard to reach spots are just that... hard to reach.

I used the Lye method with good results. Just like anything else, paying attention and being careful will yield better results than haphazardly doing it ever will.

DM

OPBN
01-18-2010, 12:17 PM
I have used Easy Off to remove the anno from several parts. It must be the original yellow can, not the environmentally friendly blue can. I would avoid sanding on parts where tolerances are critical. Also on any parts that have crisp edges, you will lose that with sanding.

sslecyk03
01-18-2010, 01:00 PM
I have used Easy Off to remove the anno from several parts. It must be the original yellow can, not the environmentally friendly blue can. I would avoid sanding on parts where tolerances are critical. Also on any parts that have crisp edges, you will lose that with sanding.

How long do you leave the easy off on the part before you wipe it off. I've heard people say to be careful not to "pit" the aluminum. Do you know what this means and how it can be prevented? Thanks.

OPBN
01-18-2010, 01:10 PM
I really haven't run into pitting. Normally, I put it on and leave it for 4-5 minutes and see how that does. You may need to do it for longer. It often takes more than one application. I use a toothbrush to scrub it down. Be sure to wash it well in water when you are done and wear gloves or some sort of protection as the oven cleaner can burn a little. Honestly, I usually just use a paper towel to hold it or move it around, but I'm a little stupid like that. Just be sure to really wash your hands well after and don't rub or scratch your eyes or tender spots if you have oven cleaner on them.

sslecyk03
01-18-2010, 01:11 PM
I really haven't run into pitting. Normally, I put it on and leave it for 4-5 minutes and see how that does. You may need to do it for longer. I use a toothbrush to scrub it down. Be sure to wash it well in water when you are done and wear gloves or some sort of protection as the oven cleaner can burn a little. Honestly, I usually just use a paper towel to hold it or move it around, but I'm a little stupid like that. Just be sure to really wash your hands well after and don't rub or scratch your eyes or tender spots if you have oven cleaner on them.

Cool, so you spray it on then scrub and then wait? Or spray wait and then scrub?

DevilMan
01-18-2010, 01:21 PM
Spray, wait, scrub... Basically in laymans terms the EO dissolves the anno. So the type of anno and the strength of the EO are factors on the time. You can spray it on, wait a few and then hit it with a toothbrush to see if any of the anno smears with it. It'd be like holding M&M's in your damp hand. It will start melting into the shell. Same for the anno. You get the process started and the brush helps it along. You can spray on, wait, brush and wash off and re apply if need be. I would keep a pan of water handy so that you can just dunk the whole part in when you are ready to clean it. That will prevent you from having uneven spots as some will be on longer than other spots if you are wiping it off, or just washing off a bit at a time. If you can dunk the whole part in then it should give you more even results. Just put it in and agitate. As stated wear gloves or some sort of skin protection and eye protection won't hurt either. Tis easier to put on a pair of glasses or even PB goggles then it is to try to get to the ER driving blind!

Good luck,

DM

OPBN
01-18-2010, 01:21 PM
Spray, wait, scrub. Essentially you are using the oven cleaner similiar to how you would paint remover. You have to spray it on, wait for it to attack the ano and then scrub it off. Sometimes if you spray it on, wait for a few minutes, then rub it around, you can see how effective it is. Pretty much a trial and error thing. Just don't leave it on so long that it dries out. Out of curiousity, what part are you removing the ano from?

sslecyk03
01-18-2010, 01:22 PM
Spray, wait, scrub. Essentially you are using the oven cleaner similiar to how you would paint remover. You have to spray it on, wait for it to attack the ano and then scrub it off. Sometimes if you spray it on, wait for a few minutes, then rub it around, you can see how effective it is. Pretty much a trial and error thing. Just don't leave it on so long that it dries out. Out of curiousity, what part are you removing the ano from?

Body and rail

DevilMan
01-18-2010, 01:23 PM
Oh and for the record... I'm not responsible if you take my advice and screw something up...

Just putting that in there...

DM

OPBN
01-18-2010, 01:25 PM
Hmm. Not sure, but I know on a ULE body, you have to take out the inner steel bumper ring before you get it stripped. I've never stripped a ULE body, so you may want to see if anyone knows if you need to remove it or not. At the very least, I would pack the insides of the body with papertowels or something to keep the EO from hitting the steel. I guess it can damage it.

sslecyk03
01-18-2010, 01:27 PM
Hmm. Not sure, but I know on a ULE body, you have to take out the inner steel bumper ring before you get it stripped. I've never stripped a ULE body, so you may want to see if anyone knows if you need to remove it or not. At the very least, I would pack the insides of the body with papertowels or something to keep the EO from hitting the steel. I guess it can damage it.

Yea good call, I saw that and was going to ask about it too. Anyone know if this will get damaged? Or if I have to remove it how can I do that?

DevilMan
01-18-2010, 01:27 PM
No the EO is fine for the steel ring on the inside. It's only the anno stripping process that anno places use that will dissolve the steel.

The EO should NOT affect the the internal steel at all. After all, what's an oven made of??

The chemical bath that anno shops use is NOT Easy Off!!!!

DM

sslecyk03
01-18-2010, 01:32 PM
No the EO is fine for the steel ring on the inside. It's only the anno stripping process that anno places use that will dissolve the steel.

The EO should NOT affect the the internal steel at all. After all, what's an oven made of??

The chemical bath that anno shops use is NOT Easy Off!!!!

DM

That makes sense with the oven example, didn't think about that lol. Doesn't hurt to be too careful though. Looks like I'm off to walgreens to get some oven cleaner with lye.....I'll check back when I'm done. Thanks for the quick responses guys, if I don't post back by tonight then I am probably laying on my driveway with parts of my skin eaten away! :clap:

OPBN
01-18-2010, 01:32 PM
Another thought, if the ano is black and in good condition, you may want to see if anyone wants to trade a clear polixhed one for your black on. Black seems to be more in demand..

Good luck either way.

sslecyk03
01-18-2010, 01:40 PM
Another thought, if the ano is black and in good condition, you may want to see if anyone wants to trade a clear polixhed one for your black on. Black seems to be more in demand..

Good luck either way.

Thanks but my rail has already been chopped up, I took about an inch off the front and I don't feel like doing it again on a new rail.

OPBN
01-18-2010, 01:45 PM
Thanks but my rail has already been chopped up, I took about an inch off the front and I don't feel like doing it again on a new rail.

I was thinking more along the lines of the body, but either way.. Be sure to post pics up when you are done.

bojangles1983
01-18-2010, 02:18 PM
I have just used a tub of lye in the past and just submerged the piece. At room temp it took just a few minutes.

sslecyk03
01-18-2010, 03:35 PM
Body is chopped up too lol, but either way it worked well and I'm just finishing up some wet sanding now. Posting pics soon...

sslecyk03
01-18-2010, 03:49 PM
Still needs a bit more sanding in some parts but here it is:

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/4173/magq.jpg (http://img43.imageshack.us/i/magq.jpg/)

OPBN
01-18-2010, 04:00 PM
Use higher grit such as 800/1000 to get it really smooth. You can use buffing compound and a polishing wheel to get it really shiny.

sslecyk03
01-18-2010, 04:32 PM
Use higher grit such as 800/1000 to get it really smooth. You can use buffing compound and a polishing wheel to get it really shiny.

I'll see what other kind of sand paper I have, I do have a buffing wheel with compound though too so I'll hit it with that after. Trigger frame is next, and they will all be ano'ed blue eventually, with everything else kept black

OPBN
01-18-2010, 04:34 PM
Personally, I would let the anodizing shop do the frame. I stripped a Chimera and it is a pain in the rear. I still need to do a better job on it.

sslecyk03
01-18-2010, 04:39 PM
Personally, I would let the anodizing shop do the frame. I stripped a Chimera and it is a pain in the rear. I still need to do a better job on it.

Yea, that is why I held off for now, I might take your advice...or my impatience might get the best of me :tard:

sslecyk03
01-19-2010, 11:33 PM
Yea, that is why I held off for now, I might take your advice...or my impatience might get the best of me :tard:

Curiosity got the best of me, just did the trigger frame too. Needed a lot more sanding and it was a pain but it looks nice now. I'll get pics up tomorrow.

sslecyk03
01-20-2010, 07:09 PM
Here's the gun with the trigger frame ano removed. Still needs sanding as well.

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/1304/mag2e.jpg (http://img94.imageshack.us/i/mag2e.jpg/)