PDA

View Full Version : This week's disaster

BobTheCow
01-20-2010, 12:29 AM
Hey everybody,

I'm actually pretty surprised there's not already a thread here about this. It's been all over the news, all over the internet, and on the tongues of friends and family all over the world. This week has seen one of the greatest disasters of our generation, if you're to believe the media reports.

Crowds have gathered, brave souls have traveled to help out. Many have made up T-shirts or changed their Facebook pictures in support. There will be a major televised event on Friday that will be watched by millions. Unfortunately, some major media figures have taken the opportunity to spin this disaster for personal gain. We must fight back.

If you haven't already donated your time or money, I strongly encourage you to. There are any number of noble organizations that are doing what they can. Find one, and help out somebody in need.

Pop quiz: Haiti earthquake, or late-night talk show feud?

*sigh*

Frizzle Fry
01-20-2010, 12:31 AM
late-night talk show feud?

:cool:

doc_Zox
01-20-2010, 03:03 PM
http://premium1.uploadit.org/docZox//DingieDongie.jpg

sjrtk
01-20-2010, 04:29 PM
Hmmmm...
Can't figure out which one is more important here. A talk show whinning contest or, restoring a war torn 3rd world country struck by an earth quake in to just a war torn 3rd wold country. Wait a minuet don't we have homeless and starving people in our country that could benefit from 100 million of our tax dollars? Plus the TV personalities just need to quit complaining, if you or I were getting fired do they care?

Like the pic DR Z

BobTheCow
01-21-2010, 08:41 AM
Wait a minuet don't we have homeless and starving people in our country that could benefit from 100 million of our tax dollars?
This is an attitude I hear all the time and of which I can never understand the reasoning. Why does helping out the impoverished in our own country have to be mutually exclusive from helping out the impoverished somewhere struck by natural disaster? It's quite possible to lend yourself to both projects with some sense of charity.

rawbutter
01-21-2010, 11:02 AM
Why does helping out the impoverished in our own country have to be mutually exclusive from helping out the impoverished somewhere struck by natural disaster? It's quite possible to lend yourself to both projects with some sense of charity.

I totally agree. In my mind, if you're rich enough to play an expensive sport like paintball, then you're rich enough to donate a little money to charity on a regular basis. If you give money towards Haiti, it should be above and beyond "normal" because this is an emergency.

I already give money to charity every month (it's even part of my budget so I don't forget), but I'm still giving a little extra from my savings towards the relief effort in Haiti. I'm not going to miss $100... I'm just gonna spend it on paintball stuff anyway. :rolleyes: That same money will go towards feeding a lot of people for a long time in Haiti.

And I'm not trying to brag. I'm just trying to lead by example, I guess. I have a lot to be thankful, and even though I can't afford to buy my dream marker, I still have a LOT more than many others... and giving makes me feel good.

sjrtk
01-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Don't get me wrong I'm not against helping others (Haitians for example) but i really think that we should worry about whats at home be for we run all over the world. Not to mention the people need food, medical supplies/assistance, and construction assistance/supplies. not 100 million dollars.

BobTheCow
01-22-2010, 08:34 AM
Don't get me wrong I'm not against helping others (Haitians for example) but i really think that we should worry about whats at home be for we run all over the world. Not to mention the people need food, medical supplies/assistance, and construction assistance/supplies. not 100 million dollars.
It's not like we're just writing out a personal check to Haiti that they might spend on hookers and blow, that money will go toward exactly those needs.

And rawbutter, I know exactly what you mean. I haven't played paintball in years, but I've discovered the even larger money pit of photography. I was debating what my next purchase should be, a $1200 lens or an $1800 body, when I realized that yeah, I could afford to make a measly Red Cross donation.

SCpoloRicker
01-25-2010, 01:33 PM
Haiti is, and always has been, a failed state. There are so many NGOs and relief groups involved there it's silly.

rawbutter
01-25-2010, 02:26 PM
Haiti is, and always has been, a failed state. There are so many NGOs and relief groups involved there it's silly.

So... we shouldn't help the people because their government is screwed up?

punkncat
01-25-2010, 04:50 PM
It's not like we're just writing out a personal check to Haiti that they might spend on hookers and blow,.

I lol'ed hard.

Some dude in Haiti is laying back on a couch right now drooling, near od, and getting the blowski of his LIFE......on us.

:headbang: