PDA

View Full Version : Z-pin necessary?

sslecyk03
01-25-2010, 08:18 PM
I've searched around and must not be that good at it because I can't find a straight answer. Is it necessary to have a groove to lock the z-pin down? I'm considering hacking off the back inch or so of my rt pro rail which would eliminate the groove. Is this a safety hazard or will I be ok?

SSP REAPER
01-25-2010, 08:28 PM
you should be fine. The only reason the Z pin is there is to keep the back half of the valve from unscrewing with you change the velocity. Just be careful and I'm sure you'd be fine without it.

sslecyk03
01-25-2010, 08:31 PM
you should be fine. The only reason the Z pin is there is to keep the back half of the valve from unscrewing with you change the velocity. Just be careful and I'm sure you'd be fine without it.

Thank you Sir.

kcombs9
01-25-2010, 08:35 PM
can also help with keeping the valve from shooting out of the body when you take the field strip screw out. Just think of it like TK was making it idiot proof. Just be smart and careful and you will be fine IMO. Iv never removed mine.

SSP REAPER
01-25-2010, 08:37 PM
If you look at the SFL Emag's they kept a very small sliver in the rear for the Z pin. I have seen some custom mags with the slot left and some without. Your choice but remember to keep safe when changing your velocity or taking the valve out of the body.

Tunaman
01-25-2010, 09:04 PM
I would never install a valve without one. It is a safety issue and someone alot smarter than us thought it should be there so i am going with that...

sslecyk03
01-25-2010, 09:06 PM
Well I don't mind living on the wild side so I'm chopping off the rail. Just to be safe though, could I loctite the threads of the reg without problem? And if so, blue or red? And another question, can the z-pin be removed from the valve? Unscrew or pull out?

Tunaman
01-25-2010, 10:08 PM
One drop of blue should hold it just fine. Dont get any on the oring or it will eat it. The Zlock pins are very soft and a biotch to get out. They are knurled on one end so unscrewing it wont work. Drilling it or grinding it is the best way. ;)

sslecyk03
01-25-2010, 11:17 PM
Thanks Tuna, you da man.

Tao
01-26-2010, 01:10 AM
Its hard to line up the valve with the field strip scre (especially banjo bolt) without the z pin.