PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Thread

SCpoloRicker
02-04-2010, 03:47 PM
Alrighty. I am considering picking up a pistol for range use and home defense.

I'm currently leaning towards an HK USP Compact in 9mm with a stainless slide.

http://www.gun-review.com/images/uploaded/450_hk_uspcompactsts.jpg

I have put several hundred rounds through a full size USP, and I like the control setup.

I am curious to hear others opinions on pistols. Other models I have thought about are Sig and Glock, which I have some experience with, but not nearly as much as with HK.

So let's hear some thoughts.

Lohman446
02-04-2010, 04:08 PM
I lean towards carriable pistols - and to me the HK is too blocky. I tried a Sig P239 and found the accuracy was poor compared to the P229 - which I carried for a few months and found too wide.

I carried a Glock G26 for some time. Simplicity of use it works, but I don't really love the gun. I have tried a few Smith and Wesson snub revolvers and liked them well enough.. Currently on my belt I am carrying a SP101 with 3+" barrel - it fits well and is actually very concealble in a good holster.

I had my "affair" with Kimber 1911s, but the 1911 at best is a bit complex to operate under stress, and I finally quit carrying it one day when the safety was "rubbed" off in my holster.

For range use the HK is probably a splendid gun. I would lean towards 9MM. The 9MM does not lack in stopping power, but the recoil compared to a 40 will be appreciated. Truth be told all reasonable handguns (the 460 S+W, 500 S+W, 454 are likely exceptions) are all VERY anemic in stopping power (9MM, 40, 45, 380, 38, 357, 32). Those who tell you how great of stoppers some are from others have not looked closely at the comparisons when based on a scale that shows realistic stopping power.

HK, Sig, Glock, Smith, Beretta, Ruger etc all make some excellent handguns, and the one you are most comfortable with - or the one you want the most, is the one to buy. Otherwise, you will just buy it later anyways.

SCpoloRicker
02-04-2010, 05:56 PM
Ah, should have pointed out that I am in California, so CCW/carry issues are not going to be a factor.

I'm in agreement on the 9/.40/.45 issue.

Somewhat related; I've been researching grip form, and learning more about what I'll call "two thumbs forward" style. Does this shooting style tend to create problems with the slide catch/decock/mag release systems on handguns? HKs in particular, as they seem to have large controls (which is a feature I like)?

behemoth
02-04-2010, 06:24 PM
I like to rest my strong hand thumb on my safety, to make sure its off, and to keep my hand highest up on the frame possible.

Then, i extend my weak hand, and break my wrist downward, put the heel of my off-hand where my stronghand doesnt cover on the frame, and then that leaves my thumb pointing forward, and ususally rests along the frame, near the dissassembly lever, OR, if i have my pistol light on, it rests right on the toggle switch.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q243/htomeheb/TLR1.jpg?t=1265326299

sjrtk
02-04-2010, 07:20 PM
I would not suggest a pistol for in the home, personal opinion, i have a short barrel 12 ga. loaded with #7 or #8 shot. At ranges in the home brutally effective (close range shotgun wounds are often described as bloody rat holes) and will not go through double layer drywall and if it does has next no energy left. Though to each there own.

As far as tow thumbs forward try it at the range see how close your hold gets you to the controls in your situation.

SCpoloRicker
02-04-2010, 07:37 PM
sjrtk, I agree that a shotgun is a better option for true home defense. I will probably be picking one up eventually. The debate there is 20 gauge or 12.

I mainly want the pistol for the range. :)

Lohman446
02-04-2010, 09:01 PM
Ah, should have pointed out that I am in California, so CCW/carry issues are not going to be a factor.

I'm in agreement on the 9/.40/.45 issue.

Somewhat related; I've been researching grip form, and learning more about what I'll call "two thumbs forward" style. Does this shooting style tend to create problems with the slide catch/decock/mag release systems on handguns? HKs in particular, as they seem to have large controls (which is a feature I like)?

Once you are used to a handgun you will likely not have any problems with it. There are only a handful of handguns where it would be an issue. Most people will not use a revolver, so I really don't see where it would be an issue, what you are describing that is. The only handgun I have ever had an issue with control placement with is the Tomcat. I really like the gun but I have dropped the magazine twice from draw. It would have been rather inconvenient had I needed it. However, the tried and true methods of stance and grip have been developed and stayed popular in todays era of competition shooting for a reason.

What I have found in buying handguns is simple. Buy what you want. If you really like the HK its the gun to get. If you don't get it you will be looking at it next month or so and buying it anyways. If I never had an intention of carrying it I would likely not go with a compact variant. Shorter site radius will make it harder to shoot well. Compact guns tend to be chopped down variants of full size models, and full size models usually balance better when loaded (I know in the store it feels opposite, but remember the magazine is empty).

The 12/20 issue Get a 12. Field shoot comparable models and you will find the 20 gauges weight reduction causes them to recoil as much as the 12. 12 gauge ammo is easier to find too.

Frizzle Fry
02-04-2010, 09:24 PM
I love my 226 Compact... It's not as utilitarian or as durable (when it comes to SERIOUS beatings and environmental wear) as the USP but it's comfier and much easier to carry regularly. it's a lot easier to maintain (in my experience, having owned a USP-M) and though it can't take a gloved hand as well or be set up in as many styles, you really have to ask your self how important those things are for what you're doing (plinking and scaring/shooting intruders/thieves/rapists).

As much as I like the fullsize USP, I've never liked the balance of the compact. I'd also never care one concealed, as they sit well on the hip and waist but are a painful and awkward block shaped reminder of your deadliness when under the shoulder or on the lower back. As great a carry pistol as the USP is, it's just not ergonomically designed for concealed carry... It's uncomfortable to carry, and the oversized slide release, mag release and control arm make it even more uncomfortable (and sometimes dangerously difficult) to draw from standard concealment points (ankle, belt, back, underarm). There seem to be very few non hip/belt holsters that are snug enough to hold USP-Cs without restricting draw.

I'm sure many will disagree, but that's just what I've experienced.

Field shoot comparable models and you will find the 20 gauges weight reduction causes them to recoil as much as the 12. 12 gauge ammo is easier to find too.
I have a matched pair of Remington 1100s in 12 and 20, and the recoil is significantly lighter with the 20. There is slightly more even recoil with some pump models (less so with the m500 I've found) but the nature of pump shotguns when compared to semi-automatic is to have greater recoil. Obviously the same is true of break action and bolt action.

Also, the difference in availability of 20 and 12 gauge ammunition is completely negligible. If you're looking for 16, 10, or 28 gauge, you might be out of luck at many places, but 20 and 12 are stocked en-masse at almost all gun shops, sporting goods shops, WalMarts, K-Marts and Sears (those with sportinggoods/firearms departments). Do not availability be the deciding factor in your choice of a shotgun; think instead about what you're going to use it for and the advantages/disadvantages of each round.

bornl33t
02-04-2010, 10:13 PM
What's everyone think about the Taurus pt140 pro? I typically dislike taurus, but I have some friends with this gun and it's actually fun to shoot and seems reliable? That and the price is right. I don't like saftey's but it would easy my wife's mind when I take her to the range.....anyone wanna give me a good reason why not to but it and use it for carry?

TeamBob
02-05-2010, 12:01 AM
IMHO, the best carry weapon. Everybody has their opinion, this is mine.

S&W 649 "bodyguard"

First article i found on it. But alot more via google

http://www.snubnose.info/docs/bodyguard.htm

As far as Home defense goes, IMHO Mossberg, Remington or Winchester 12g pumps are the way to go. Esp. if you have kids/family on the other sides of your walls to worry about

And as far as range shooting goes. Get something ya like, get tired of it and move in. Its just for fun anyways. But id recc. something 9mm or smalll as anything bigger tends to get expensive quick, which cuts into your Mag funds :D

Lohman446
02-05-2010, 06:47 AM
What's everyone think about the Taurus pt140 pro? I typically dislike taurus, but I have some friends with this gun and it's actually fun to shoot and seems reliable? That and the price is right. I don't like saftey's but it would easy my wife's mind when I take her to the range.....anyone wanna give me a good reason why not to but it and use it for carry?

Yeh, I once had a Taurus revolver hangfire on me and cause serious burns on my off hand. After waiting awhile I laid it down in my open palm, it promptly discharged. 357 snub nose revolver, cylinder rotating, and lots of fire. Lot of pain. Got my attention right now.

MANN
02-05-2010, 07:59 AM
IMHO, the best carry weapon. Everybody has their opinion, this is mine.

S&W 649 "bodyguard"

Those are nice, but bulky. Not something you can conceal. They shoot/feel great.

Lohman446
02-05-2010, 09:43 AM
I always thought even with cylinders the 5 shot revolvers concealed well. Better than one would have guessed based on the dimensions. Then again, see above - I'm concealing a SP101 with the 3"+ barrel and a speedloader next to the holster on the belt.

Frizzle Fry
02-05-2010, 09:51 AM
I always thought even with cylinders the 5 shot revolvers concealed well. Better than one would have guessed based on the dimensions. Then again, see above - I'm concealing a SP101 with the 3"+ barrel and a speedloader next to the holster on the belt.

I've got a US Revolver in .32 S&W... 5 rounds, break top, and very easy to conceal. Granted the .32 is small and not good for much other than drawing attention and pissing off whatever you're shooting (unless it's a raccoon or a toddler) but it fits in a pocket easily. My 1903 pocket hammerless .32 is much more fun to carry.

Lohman446
02-05-2010, 10:08 AM
I've got a US Revolver in .32 S&W... 5 rounds, break top, and very easy to conceal. Granted the .32 is small and not good for much other than drawing attention and pissing off whatever you're shooting (unless it's a raccoon or a toddler) but it fits in a pocket easily. My 1903 pocket hammerless .32 is much more fun to carry.

I have an Iver Johnson similar. :P Pretty neat little gun. Shoots fairly well considering they were the saturday night specials of the day

behemoth
02-05-2010, 10:18 AM
Speaking of guns, and carrying... New holster. So Comfy.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q243/htomeheb/Holster.jpg

Lohman446
02-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Good holsters make all the difference in concealed guns.

Anyone have any experience with a true Makarov? I am thinking about picking one up. Little better than a 380, fairly cheap ammo, stainless construction, built like a tank....

Army
02-05-2010, 10:47 AM
S&W 686 8 shot, or a 1911. Anything else is silly.

Hit'em hard, or hit'em big.

behemoth
02-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Good holsters make all the difference in concealed guns.

Anyone have any experience with a true Makarov? I am thinking about picking one up. Little better than a 380, fairly cheap ammo, stainless construction, built like a tank....

LegumeofTerror (posts here, and PBN) has a FEG-63 he carries. Considering he carries it, im gonna assume he's a fan.

AIM has CZ-82s for 200 bucks, and 9x18 is almost the same price as 9x19...

S&W 686 8 shot, or a 1911. Anything else is silly.

Hit'em hard, or hit'em big.

If i was handicapped by CA's gunlaws, i'd roll a 8shot 1911, too.

But, since i'm not, i'll take my 16 rounds of .40sw JHP's

1stdeadeye
02-05-2010, 04:20 PM
I love my Glock 17 with the Pre-Ban Mags! 17 rounds of 9mm should do the job!

For home defense though I have an 18 inch coach gun (short double barrell 12 gauge shotgun).

TeamBob
02-06-2010, 12:40 AM
"Those are nice, but bulky. Not something you can conceal. They shoot/feel great." Im 5'10'' 200 pounds. It fits nicely in the small of my back on the inside of my pants. Not to sound gay...

sjrtk
02-06-2010, 02:30 PM
True Makarov pistols are are breed to be carried and used. They are not the most comfortable i've shot (personal opinion again, kind of a biting recoil impulse) but they are bred for Soviet troops and work well. The 9X18 is about even with the 9X19. Shotguns 12 with out a second thought.

As far as the 32 goes any gun is better than no gun, right? Shot placement is like real estate, location location location.

Destructo6
02-08-2010, 09:45 AM

I had a 1962 vintage East German Makarov for about 10 years. Recoil was a bit snappy, probably due to the size and the straight blowback design. It didn't like Hornandy JHP (bullet tip would get caught up on feedramp, resulting in bullet setback), but never failed. Magazines were dirt cheap, often $2-$3. Sold it recently for more than what I'd paid, being E. German and all.

A SIG, HK, or Glock would serve you well. Preferece and price would play the biggest roles in a decision between them.

After shooting and carrying them for the last few years, I've really come to like HK's P2000 line in DAO (LEM trigger). Pull, shoot, reholster: no decocking, always the same trigger pull.

going_home
08-31-2010, 06:21 PM
http://www.indygunsafety.com/PK380bl.jpg

Picked one of these up today.
Or should I say my buddy wanted a Glock 19 and almost gave this one to me.
I dont need it but.....
He bought it new about 2 months ago and sold it to me for less than half what he paid.
Along with an extra clip and about 75 rounds.

How'd I do ?

I havent shot it yet but he said its accurate as heck.

:ninja:

sjrtk
08-31-2010, 07:46 PM
@ less than half of what your friend paid and the rest you mentioned it was a steal. Just about every Walther out there is accurate out of the box, with an extra 75 rounds you can have a nice day at the range to make sure. The .380's will do just about any job you ask them to as long as you give them good directions.

Ando
08-31-2010, 08:43 PM
In my experience. If your going with a hand gun for home protect. Go with a revolver. Under a stressful situation, fail rate to clear a jam is VERY, VERY high. I don't care who you think you are. Revolvers don't jam period. Your wife can use it, your kids can use it, anyone with 1/16 of a brain can use it.

Easy-Simple-Stupid.

going_home
08-31-2010, 09:36 PM
I didnt get it because I needed it.
It was the price, and I didnt have a hand gun.
I dont need it for protection.
I will just shoot targets with it for recreation.

;)

Ando
08-31-2010, 09:59 PM
lol...That wasn't towards you bro.

It was a general statment.

I've had many gun nuts say the same thing. .38 Special Snub Nose is perfect for a woman with minimal experience. It's small, compact and easy to use. It can also be put in a small hand bag and has more then enough stopping power to take down a grown man.

Another option would be a .357 snub.

behemoth
09-01-2010, 01:26 PM
In my experience. If your going with a hand gun for home protect. Go with a revolver. Under a stressful situation, fail rate to clear a jam is VERY, VERY high. I don't care who you think you are. Revolvers don't jam period. Your wife can use it, your kids can use it, anyone with 1/16 of a brain can use it.

Easy-Simple-Stupid.

Thats why you practice with your semis, and its not a problem.

tap. rack. bacon.

Ando
09-01-2010, 03:12 PM

tap. rack. bacon.

Pfft....All I got to say about that.

Destructo6
09-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Revolvers don't jam period.
Pfft...that's all I have to say about that. Actually no.

I agree that the incident of failure is quite a bit lower for revolvers, but when revolvers do fail, an immediate action, like tap/rack, will not get them back in action.

going_home
09-01-2010, 05:03 PM

tap. rack. bacon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfyULpEhmug&feature=player_embedded

;)

Ando
09-01-2010, 08:29 PM
Pfft...that's all I have to say about that. Actually no.

I agree that the incident of failure is quite a bit lower for revolvers, but when revolvers do fail, an immediate action, like tap/rack, will not get them back in action.

Agree on a few of your points.

I've owned revolvers for about 17 yrs now. Only time I've ever had a problem was due to improper/lack of maintenance on my part and a friends shotty hand-load causing the bullet to jam in the barrel.

The lack of maintenance caused the bolt spring to snap on me. After taking it apart, the spring was pretty much rusted. That gun was given to me like 2 weeks after that happened. Never looked it over before I took it out on the range. Stupid...I know. :tard:

I've never had an issue with a revolver besides those 2 incidents which was in the beginning of my revolver days. I agree, when a revolver does fail, they fail hard and are unlikely to come up but like any gun. You take care of it, it'll take care of you.

Unless your Fallujah hardened.....

....If you have a barrel pointed at you and your gun jams. :eek:

LegumeOfTerror
09-01-2010, 09:03 PM
I didnt get it because I needed it.
It was the price, and I didnt have a hand gun.
I dont need it for protection.
I will just shoot targets with it for recreation.

;)

You ended up with a pretty pricey caliber for target shooting.

I has pistols (and a bunch of other guns)!

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a248/LegumeOfTerror/Beach%20and%20Guns/IMG_3851.jpg

going_home
09-01-2010, 09:12 PM
Yeah I've been pricing ammo and you're more than likely not going to find .380 at Walmart.

But then again I'm glad I dont have to buy ammo for 10 pistols and 17 rifles and shotguns either.

LegumeOfTerror
09-01-2010, 09:46 PM
Yeah I've been pricing ammo and you're more than likely not going to find .380 at Walmart.

But then again I'm glad I dont have to buy ammo for 10 pistols and 17 rifles and shotguns either.

Lol, only 7 of the handguns are mine, and 13 (i think? maybe more) of the long guns are mine. The calibers I have are .22 s/l/lr, 9x17mm, 9x18mm, 9x19mm, .38 Special/.357 Magnum, .45 ACP, .223/5.56x45mm, 7.62x39mm, 7.62x54r, 7.62x51mm .30-06, and 12 Guage.

Warwitch
09-02-2010, 05:54 AM
How did I miss this? Anyways, I whole heartedly support your purchase of a full size HK USP. Ive owned 3 versions (compact .45, full size .40, and .45 tactical). Personally I love the standard .40 the best. The frames had to be modified (widened) to accept the .45 ACP round. I have large hands and the .45's giant grip is far from confidence inspiring. I never liked the trigger on the Tactical either. The standard model has a much more linear trigger break.

Ive had the standard .40 below for almost 10 years now. Still the best handgun Ive ever owned.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/8407/dscf0169ra0.jpg

going_home
09-02-2010, 06:57 PM
I was looking at the manual :wow: and I notices a laser site you can get
that mounts under the barrel.

They worth messing with ... do they do anything ?
I sees one on Ebay fairly inexpensively.

:confused:

Destructo6
09-03-2010, 08:30 AM
A cheap laser will perform accordingly.

Something like a Streamlight TLR-2 should perform nicely, but at a cost ($160 or so on Ebay).

Weapon mounted lights are quite handy.

Warwitch
09-03-2010, 12:50 PM
A cheap laser will perform accordingly.

Something like a Streamlight TLR-2 should perform nicely, but at a cost ($160 or so on Ebay).

Weapon mounted lights are quite handy.

This.

If youre going to bother buying a handgun for home protection you better have night sights and a weapon light for sure. Lasers arent necessary but are indeed handy, especially at less than 20'.

But honestly you should be able to point shoot anything at that distance.

behemoth
09-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Agree on a few of your points.

I've owned revolvers for about 17 yrs now. Only time I've ever had a problem was due to improper/lack of maintenance on my part and a friends shotty hand-load causing the bullet to jam in the barrel.

The lack of maintenance caused the bolt spring to snap on me. After taking it apart, the spring was pretty much rusted. That gun was given to me like 2 weeks after that happened. Never looked it over before I took it out on the range. Stupid...I know. :tard:

I've never had an issue with a revolver besides those 2 incidents which was in the beginning of my revolver days. I agree, when a revolver does fail, they fail hard and are unlikely to come up but like any gun. You take care of it, it'll take care of you.

Unless your Fallujah hardened.....

....If you have a barrel pointed at you and your gun jams. :eek:

So, lets put your two revolver malfunctions, and lets call up Lohman, and ask about his revolver malfunction that injured him, and couldve done worse.

But hey, Revolvers dont malf.

Also, "Fallujah Hardened"? Come on. Yeah, most people, and i'd say most gun owners would **** their pants put into a situation like that.

However, I'm saying, learning how to clear a malfunction, and training with your weapons is a better way to combat that "whatif"

If you're relying on a 6-shooter because that auto pistol MIGHT FAIL, well, then good for you. Hope you dont miss, or have multiple threats, or etc. Reloading a revolver isnt exactly the quickest process - Unless of course you train for it.

teufelhunden
09-03-2010, 05:23 PM
I'm considering an XDm in .40 - any thoughts? Stuck in NJ, so the laws aren't quite as terrible as CA, but they are damn close. No carry issues.

Ando
09-03-2010, 09:52 PM
So, lets put your two revolver malfunctions, and lets call up Lohman, and ask about his revolver malfunction that injured him, and couldve done worse.

But hey, Revolvers dont malf.

Also, "Fallujah Hardened"? Come on. Yeah, most people, and i'd say most gun owners would **** their pants put into a situation like that.

However, I'm saying, learning how to clear a malfunction, and training with your weapons is a better way to combat that "whatif"

If you're relying on a 6-shooter because that auto pistol MIGHT FAIL, well, then good for you. Hope you dont miss, or have multiple threats, or etc. Reloading a revolver isnt exactly the quickest process - Unless of course you train for it.

Hey skunk bate. I'm giving my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

Only reason I mentioned a revolver is cause of the easy to shoot them by anyone in the house hold. Would that be my first go-to gun? No. Would I give it to my wife during a home invasion. Yes. And if you can't hit some 20' away with a six shooter then your not going to hit them with a 8 to 12 round magazined semi-auto.

MANN
09-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Would I give it to my wife during a home invasion. Yes.

Shotgun is the best home defense.

LK-13
09-04-2010, 10:57 PM
no claymores or toe poppers?
remote FM armed and disarmed of course.

behemoth
09-05-2010, 05:47 AM
I'm considering an XDm in .40 - any thoughts? Stuck in NJ, so the laws aren't quite as terrible as CA, but they are damn close. No carry issues.
Check out the XD, M&P, and Glock - Rent if you can, shoot them, and find which one you like better.

Also, I originally went with .40sw, and sold and rebought the same gun in 9mm. Cheaper ammo means more trigger time, means being a better shot.

Hey skunk bate. I'm giving my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

Only reason I mentioned a revolver is cause of the easy to shoot them by anyone in the house hold. Would that be my first go-to gun? No. Would I give it to my wife during a home invasion. Yes. And if you can't hit some 20' away with a six shooter then your not going to hit them with a 8 to 12 round magazined semi-auto.
umad?

YOU JUST RACK IT, AND THE INTRUDER WILL POOP THEIR PANTS, AMIRITE?

Ando
09-05-2010, 07:50 AM
100% agree.

umad?
UAD-BAG? ;)

SCpoloRicker
09-05-2010, 02:49 PM
One of the ranges near me allows you to use *any* of their rentals for a larger rental fee.

If you can find something similar, I highly recommend going and trying multiple brands. Shoot what feels best.

maxama10
09-05-2010, 10:16 PM
100% agree.

UAD-BAG? ;)

Clever clever
:rolleyes:

cabldawg
09-06-2010, 12:56 PM
Personally I shoot a Baretta PX4 Sport. 40cal

Mayvik
09-07-2010, 12:36 PM

I has pistols (and a bunch of other guns)!

MMmm...PA-63s! Are they both 9x18, or do you have one of the .380 in there? I inherited a .380 version from my father, with some new springs in there it's a nice "fullish" sized carry gun.

For a home defense/range queen only handgun, I would say a large (N) frame, "high" capacity .357 revolver is your best choice. High capacity autos have their place but unless you really intend to practice a LOT (a jam or FTE can really ruin your day if you're already stressing), a point and click revolver is safer. This is extra true if there are "non primary" users in your household who won't be practicing a LOT/at all, but understand the concept of how to pull a trigger and which direction the pointy end goes in case you are not able to get to the handgun for some reason.

A shotgun would be preferable due to intimidation and over-penetration factors. Use the handgun to get to your shotgun, or as a NY reload for the shotgun. If for some reason a handful of shotshells and 7-8 rounds of 357 is not enough to convince a home invader to rethink their life of crime, you should consider saving your money and moving to a better neighborhood.

Don't bother with a snubnose revolver for home defense. There's no reason to own one other than concealment. The short barrel nerfs your energy so you end up having to shoot +P or 357s to get decent power, which in turn gives you ridiculous muzzle blast for an indoor setting and uncomfortable recoil for practice. Same thing goes for compact or subcompact autos, especially in mousier calibers (.380 or less). You get all the hassles of an automatic, with lower power to boot.

LegumeOfTerror
09-07-2010, 08:10 PM
One is mine and one is my roommates. They are both in 9x18mm. I got mine a few years ago for $100 as my first handgun in a private sale at 19. It is still one of my favorite firearms.

Mayvik
09-08-2010, 12:57 PM
One is mine and one is my roommates. They are both in 9x18mm. I got mine a few years ago for $100 as my first handgun in a private sale at 19. It is still one of my favorite firearms.

They are nice little pistols, especially considering the price. I've thought about trying to pick up a 9x18 version but I figured I'd get them confused.

Is that an LCP or Kel-Tec underneath them in the pic? Looks like a P32/P380 but I can't tell for sure.

mpsd
09-08-2010, 05:06 PM
I don't know much about real firearms as they are so difficult to get here in Brazil (the law is VERY restrictive). I'm moving from my apartment into a house on the next months and I was thinking about getting a Glock G28 (here in Brazil the only allowed calibers are 22, 25, 32, 38 and 380 and Glock only sells the G25 and G28 here). A friend of mine has a G25 which we use at the shooting range once or twice a year and I liked it for being so light and easy to disassemble and clean. The recoil is also very tolerable for someone who doesn't shoot a lot. I like the G28 better because it's more compact (my hands are really small) and it also takes the longer magazines so it just looks right for me to have in the house.

In the other hand, I've heard that these smaller Glocks only work good on +P ammo so what do you guys can tell me about it? Is it a good, reliable gun? I could also get some Taurus guns with the same caliber for about half the price buy they are heavier, more complicated and have more recoil (at least the ones I've tried).

I'm also thinking about the internal laser sight by Lasermax: http://www.lasermax.com/product.php?id=5

Thanks.

Mayvik
09-08-2010, 05:52 PM
I don't know much about real firearms as they are so difficult to get here in Brazil (the law is VERY restrictive). I'm moving from my apartment into a house on the next months and I was thinking about getting a Glock G28 (here in Brazil the only allowed calibers are 22, 25, 32, 38 and 380 and Glock only sells the G25 and G28 here). A friend of mine has a G25 which we use at the shooting range once or twice a year and I liked it for being so light and easy to disassemble and clean. The recoil is also very tolerable for someone who doesn't shoot a lot. I like the G28 better because it's more compact (my hands are really small) and it also takes the longer magazines so it just looks right for me to have in the house.

In the other hand, I've heard that these smaller Glocks only work good on +P ammo so what do you guys can tell me about it? Is it a good, reliable gun? I could also get some Taurus guns with the same caliber for about half the price buy they are heavier, more complicated and have more recoil (at least the ones I've tried).

I'm also thinking about the internal laser sight by Lasermax: http://www.lasermax.com/product.php?id=5

Thanks.

First off...not a Glock guy so I can't help you there...but I didn't even know Glock sold anything smaller than 9x19?? :confused: EDIT: Oh. They do, it's just not for sale in the US thanks to our dumbass import restrictions.

Er..when list your allowed calibers, can you be more specific on those? For example, is .38 ANY .38 caliber gun, .38 S&W, .38 Special, etc? Makes a big difference, for example the .32 ACP is a tiny little pocket pistol round, but a .327 Federal Magnum is a heavy revolver cartridge hanging out between .38 Special+P and .357 magnum. They're both technically a "32" caliber.

Assuming .38 is .38 Special (and not inclusive of .357 mag..), I would consider a 4 or 6" medium frame (+P+ capable) revolver in that chambering. The .380 is great for an ultra-compact concealed carry cartridge, but leaves a little to be desired as an all-around gun. Not to mention ammo ranges between moderately expensive and impossible to find, although it's been getting better. In Brazil, I'd imagine it's even harder to get ammo than it is here.

mpsd
09-08-2010, 09:07 PM
First off...not a Glock guy so I can't help you there...but I didn't even know Glock sold anything smaller than 9x19?? :confused: EDIT: Oh. They do, it's just not for sale in the US thanks to our dumbass import restrictions.

Er..when list your allowed calibers, can you be more specific on those? For example, is .38 ANY .38 caliber gun, .38 S&W, .38 Special, etc? Makes a big difference, for example the .32 ACP is a tiny little pocket pistol round, but a .327 Federal Magnum is a heavy revolver cartridge hanging out between .38 Special+P and .357 magnum. They're both technically a "32" caliber.

Assuming .38 is .38 Special (and not inclusive of .357 mag..), I would consider a 4 or 6" medium frame (+P+ capable) revolver in that chambering. The .380 is great for an ultra-compact concealed carry cartridge, but leaves a little to be desired as an all-around gun. Not to mention ammo ranges between moderately expensive and impossible to find, although it's been getting better. In Brazil, I'd imagine it's even harder to get ammo than it is here.

Thanks for you reply. As I said, I really don't know much about firearms. What I do know is that 357 isn't allowed here. I believe the 38 Special is the one they allow here. The 380 is the main caliber sold here. Even so, in order to buy ammo, one have to show it's gun license and they will only sell you that specific caliber. Also, as everything here, not only the gun but also the ammo is way too expensive. The gun itself costs $2,000.00 here. Waaaaaaaaaaaaay too expensive.

LegumeOfTerror
09-09-2010, 12:00 AM
They are nice little pistols, especially considering the price. I've thought about trying to pick up a 9x18 version but I figured I'd get them confused.

Is that an LCP or Kel-Tec underneath them in the pic? Looks like a P32/P380 but I can't tell for sure.

It is a P3AT. It is probably my least favorite handgun, but it is reliable, nuch more so than my Colt Officers ACP, so I carry it in my pocket from time to time. The Colt sits at home.

going_home
09-09-2010, 05:00 PM

I picked up a couple boxes for $15 each. Everywhere else its at least $2 more. I didn't think that was pricey.
Edit : He had like 40 boxes of. 380 so I'm going to load up :D

sjrtk
09-09-2010, 05:26 PM

Thanks.
Glocks are great pistols (I prefer my 1911 colt but that isn't a factor) they are as reliable as a brick. Easy to shoot, easy to clean (my manual even says its dishwasher safe [not kidding i'll try to find it]), and easy to maintain (buy the Glock armorers tool just in case), and have a decent selection in your caliber restrictions. Starting to sound like a mag huh? The only thing i would suggest is getting one of the bigger/intermediate modles, they tend to point better than the smaller models. Skip the laser grips a good night sight front blade and the proper hold will do wonders close in a house. A revolver would be my choice though, a medium frame in .38 special rated for +P at least and a 4 inch barrel they are usually well balanced, point very well, and track smoothly. My .02.

Mayvik
09-09-2010, 07:13 PM
If that's the case, I'd stick to a medium frame 38 special with 4-6" barrel and loaded with +P hollowpoints, unless you're gonna be carrying it. Little extra barrel length will give you better velocity, and +P hollowpoints are nothing to sneeze at.

If you decide to go with an automatic, can you get a PPK or PPK/S down there for a reasonable price? You may find it more comfortable than the Glock, which I'm assuming has a "fatter" grip due to the staggering of rounds in the mag. Walthers are single-stack, so you lose a little capacity but they are thinner. Similar argument to a 1911 vs a staggered mag with more capacity.

grEnAlEins
09-12-2010, 07:39 PM
I just picked up two more pistols today at an auction. I got one for a fair price and one for an absolute steal! After that, I won $100 off of the entry raffle. Today was a good day.

LegumeOfTerror
09-12-2010, 09:13 PM
I just picked up two more pistols today at an auction. I got one for a fair price and one for an absolute steal! After that, I won $100 off of the entry raffle. Today was a good day.

What makes and models?

grEnAlEins
09-13-2010, 08:45 AM
What makes and models?
H&R 922

Ruger Single Six "Old Model/3 screw" with both cylinders.

sjrtk
09-13-2010, 03:41 PM
Ruger Single Six "Old Model/3 screw" with both cylinders.

Nice pick up, if you don't love the single six you hate cowboy movies to. Thats just plain un-American.

grEnAlEins
09-13-2010, 06:07 PM
Nice pick up, if you don't love the single six you hate cowboy movies to. Thats just plain un-American.
Yeah it is in friggin great condition too, considering it was dated at 1957. 1 tiny little scuff mark on the rear driver side of the receiver is the only flaw. Add to that that I got it for about 1/2 of the gunbroker going rate for "Old Model" RSS's and it means I did quite well.

maxama10
09-16-2010, 02:25 PM
Well, this is only semi related...

I had a 1 round in a 100ct box of WWB 9mm without a primer, the rest fired with out any trouble. It had powder, but no primer.

Had to call around to several Winchester people before finding the right number and having to leave a message. About 5 minutes went by before I got a call back from Winchester Customer Service. They're Dropping off a pre-paid UPS label so they can inspect the round. Customer service lady was very nice and said they would likely give me some sort of compensation. I saw some more severe QC issues on arfcom and compensation ranged from 5$ to a box of ammo to a case. So we'll see if I get 5$ :rolleyes: a Box of ammo or ??? :dance:

I'll probably continue to shoot WWB; 1 round out of all the boxes I've bought isn't too bad in my book, OTOH this would NOT have exploded in my gun had I not seen it, whereas some of the other QC issues I saw may very well have. At the present moment though, I have about 1000 rounds to PMC 9mm to burn through.

I had a bunch of this hungarian MFS 9mm and had about 1/5 rounds with FTFs, out of my G17, my friend had slightly fewer out of his XD9. Not sure what the deal with that was, too hard of primers I guess? Anyway, didn't bother contacting them about it but Winchester seems to be handling this well so far.

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/2325/k225726img5676.th.jpg (http://img826.imageshack.us/i/k225726img5676.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)
http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/5108/k225727img5681.th.jpg (http://img833.imageshack.us/i/k225727img5681.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)
(Ricker let me know if you'd rather I move this to a different thread)

Inb4 Ando let's me know this wouldn't have happened using a revolver. :cheers:

going_home
09-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Inb4 Ando let's me know this wouldn't have happened using a revolver. :cheers:

:rofl: