PDA

View Full Version : How do thermal masks work?

chuey
02-05-2010, 11:42 AM
I was just wondering theres a small groove in between the thermal lenses and if I were to silicone around that groove would that stop moisture from permanently getting in between the thermal lens. I was only asking as everyone swears by the new thermo cured single lenses. I have yet to try them. I played a few hours recently in heavy rain and the thermal lens fogged which normally doesn't happen.

Mongoose
02-05-2010, 11:48 AM
I was just wondering theres a small groove in between the thermal lenses and if I were to silicone around that groove would that stop moisture from permanently getting in between the thermal lens. I was only asking as everyone swears by the new thermo cured single lenses. I have yet to try them. I played a few hours recently in heavy rain and the thermal lens fogged which normally doesn't happen.

I hate them....they are horrible just my opinion

Loneassassin
02-05-2010, 12:05 PM
I hate them....they are horrible just my opinion

Can you elaborate? This is the first time I've heard of these, and they sound like a good idea to me. I've got lenses that are perfectly good except there is paint splatter between the panes that is impossible to clean out. The silicone idea seems good - but does it not work?

psychowarden
02-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Not really a new idea on the thermo cured lense. V-Force has been using them in the Profilers for years, and I think the new Grillz as well. I absolutely loved my Profilers, and I never once had a problem with them fogging. I also like that you can just dip the whole mask in water and not worry about water or paint getting in the lense.

punkncat
02-05-2010, 12:10 PM
The biggest problem I have seen with the single thermal is the fact that the film comes off so easily.
The single lens is treated, or has a layer put on giving it the anti fogging properties. With many of them you cannot clean them with anything but water, and even then over time, just wiping them removes that layer.
Double panes are far superior in that respect.

There will come times when the temp, humidity, dew point, and your exersion will come to a level to make any mask fog, just the nature of the beast. New lenses at regular intervals, and good cleaning can help a lot.

leloup
02-05-2010, 12:36 PM
I haven't had a problem with my proto thermal lense, and I usually take it out and run it under water to clean after I play. If you do seal it with silicone, make sure that you have let it dry out completely inside, or you will trap moisture in between the panes.

snoopay700
02-05-2010, 03:57 PM
The biggest problem I have seen with the single thermal is the fact that the film comes off so easily.
The single lens is treated, or has a layer put on giving it the anti fogging properties. With many of them you cannot clean them with anything but water, and even then over time, just wiping them removes that layer.
Double panes are far superior in that respect.

There will come times when the temp, humidity, dew point, and your exersion will come to a level to make any mask fog, just the nature of the beast. New lenses at regular intervals, and good cleaning can help a lot.
The only time i've had thermals fog is when they have been put in incorrectly and the inner lens cracked, letting moisture in. Then again that my have something to do with how i breathe out through my mouth and aim it downward since i started out with a single lens mask.

I agree with Punkncat though, single lens thermals are less than ideal, but then again if you replace your lenses at a regular interval that shouldn't really matter.