PDA

View Full Version : de-volumize my valve??

autumnsscope
02-07-2010, 01:15 PM
I am planning ato run a 12 gram bucket changed on my pumpmag, and have read of people de volumizing their valves so they run better on co2. Is this necessary? What does it do? And how do you do it?

kwood
02-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Not to thread steal but would this also make a semi mag more efficient?

BigEvil
02-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Not to thread steal but would this also make a semi mag more efficient?

Nope, you would suffer terrible drop off.

autumnsscope - RRFireblade was doing this a while back. I think he used a small ring that used to be part of a Smart Parts gun - which offered these rings in three sizes that allowed you to do the same thing.. I cant think of the name of the gun.. maybe the Epiphany?

**Edit - not the ones from the Epiphany, they are too long, unless he cut them down which is possible.

FA22RaptorF22
02-07-2010, 02:12 PM
I don't see why you would De volumize.

I almost would suggest the opposite by having an expansion chamber for the co2

Ando
02-07-2010, 03:13 PM
I don't see why you would De volumize.

I almost would suggest the opposite by having an expansion chamber for the co2
:confused:

FA22RaptorF22
02-07-2010, 03:47 PM
:confused:

Let co2 expand? So you dont get liquid? No comprendo?

Fred
02-07-2010, 04:15 PM
the idea is to reduce as much system volume as possible so you waste as little CO2 as you can... 12grams are good for maybe 20 rounds TOPS if you are conservative in your rate of fire.
(with a Mag valve, I've tuned Phantoms to get 40-50... gogo nelson!)

BigEvil
02-07-2010, 05:08 PM
On Rudz's gun he was getting 6-8 shots per 12 gram.. after RRFireblade was done IIRC he gets 12ish. Nice improvement if you are running 12ies.

Smoothice
02-07-2010, 10:01 PM

you'd get 10 shots or so with an expansion chamber. All the air in the expansion chamber would go unused.

You are dealing with a pump mag. pump mag = slow rate of fire. Which means you don't really have to worry as much about liquid.

If this was a semi on a 20 oz then you would be correct.

Smoothice
02-07-2010, 10:02 PM
On Rudz's gun he was getting 6-8 shots per 12 gram.. after RRFireblade was done IIRC he gets 12ish. Nice improvement if you are running 12ies.

I get 10-12 shots with a regular valve on 12'ies. I think rudz is pushing 20!

Ando
02-07-2010, 10:06 PM
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Autumnsscope,

What I read many moons ago (never tested it myself for reasons I’m going to explain). The part you want to de-volumize is your power tube area. If you have a pre level 5 valve (classic), you’re SOL. On the other hand, if you can find a valve made in the level 5 era (which is the reason I never tested it). The power tube on those valves can be removed and washers can be added to the PT area to de-volumize the valve. Shoot down, IIRC was the only down side. On a pump, you should be fine but if you’re looking at going over 5-8 BPS (I'm guessing on that), then it's not going to be feasible. Smaller the dump chamber, the more shots you’re going to get out of a 12g but your recharge rate is going to suffer. I think someone had said they were getting 16+ shot from a 12g.

Again this was something I read about 2-3 yrs ago so I’m sure I got part of it wrong. Look over on MCB, you’ll find what your needing.

FA22RaptorF22
02-07-2010, 10:10 PM
you'd get 10 shots or so with an expansion chamber. All the air in the expansion chamber would go unused.

You are dealing with a pump mag. pump mag = slow rate of fire. Which means you don't really have to worry as much about liquid.

If this was a semi on a 20 oz then you would be correct.

Ahhh I understand. I forgot this is a pump.

Smoothice
02-07-2010, 10:11 PM
Ando is correct.

Filling the powertube is where you need to do the work. Xvalves have threaded powertubes. Some automag valves do as well. Pre "classic's" I believe. And some, maybe all, emag valves. Not sure on rt valves. The newer "classic" and minimag valves are lazer welded from what I hear.

By filling the power tube you will have a much slower recharge rate. But for a pumpmag, who cares.

Watcher
02-07-2010, 11:33 PM
the idea is to reduce as much system volume as possible so you waste as little CO2 as you can... 12grams are good for maybe 20 rounds TOPS if you are conservative in your rate of fire.
(with a Mag valve, I've tuned Phantoms to get 40-50... gogo nelson!)

50 on my Ghost, at least. gogo nelson!

Seriously? Getting 10-12 shots off of a 12gram is terrible! My friends stock A-5 even got 24 or so, I can't believe that a mag valve is that bad.

Not sure how reducing the powertube volume would have an effect, but I can understand reducing the dump-chamber size. Only thing is that if you reduce the volume too much then you'd need a higher pressure. That would also have a negative effect on the efficiency.

On the whole, I wouldn't think it is worth it if you can only max out around 20 shots. But if you really want to run a mag on 12ies, all the power to you :cheers:

BigEvil
02-08-2010, 04:59 AM
With the pump set up, you barely need any mainspring, so there is that much less force needed to overcome it. The spring has to be just short enough to almost return the bolt. You can still have adequate pressure in the dump chamber, you are just decreasing the volume of air in there. If you used the set up for semi it would drop off.

chafnerjr
02-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Seriously? Getting 10-12 shots off of a 12gram is terrible! My friends stock A-5 even got 24 or so, I can't believe that a mag valve is that bad.

Now now, we all know how big an air hog a mag is :rolleyes:

SSP REAPER
02-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Now now, we all know how big an air hog a mag is :rolleyes:
no more so than a tippmann... LOL :D

Ando
02-08-2010, 10:56 AM
no more so than a tippmann... LOL :D
...and I believe was the reason Tom came out with the 6 pack :p

SSP REAPER
02-08-2010, 11:44 AM
...and I believe was the reason Tom came out with the 6 pack :p
hehe 6 pack.... mmmmm what flavor? :p

You want to devolumize or devalue your valve? Send it over to FA22RaptorF22 for service. He'll make sure he tunes it for "temperature dependancy" :tard:

autumnsscope
02-08-2010, 12:50 PM
LThanks for all your input, I may just run a 3.5 oz vertically and not bother with trying to de volumize instead of doing 12 grams. You guys have been a big help though

autumnsscope
02-08-2010, 02:05 PM
here's a pic of my what my pumpmag looks like now, my original plan was to chop off the feed neck and run a phantom stock class feed and a 12 gram bucket changer vertically. I'm not totally sure where Im going with it now. its one of Jay's kits, and I had the milling done by warpedmephisto.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w133/autumnsscope/pumpmag.jpg

Ando
02-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Chop your feedneck down about a inch.

Install this...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Ego-paintball-Clamping-Feedneck-Dust-Aluminum-Black_W0QQitemZ250496209178QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item3a52bcd11a

And get yourself this...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Stock-Pump-Straight-10-shot-Stick-Feed-Tube-paintball_W0QQitemZ170443169609QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ LH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27af345f49

I'm gearing up one of my pump mags with the same setup. I have the clamping feed neck and the feedtube which work great with each other. The bottom of the feedneck you'll have to shim to your bodies feedtube. The feedneck is a little large at the bottom but works with a little O-ring love or tape :rolleyes:

Looper
02-08-2010, 08:30 PM
You may want to check out Lukes work... [scroll to the bottom] (http://www.lukescustoms.com/page0003.htm)

I had a right feed converted to a feed tube then bead blasted. It looks like it came from straight from AGD.

autumnsscope
02-08-2010, 09:37 PM
You may want to check out Lukes work... [scroll to the bottom] (http://www.lukescustoms.com/page0003.htm)

I had a right feed converted to a feed tube then bead blasted. It looks like it came from straight from AGD.

Yeah of seen his work around, it looks great. I had thought about doing this because it would deff. look better than a cci feed, but also more expensive.

flyingpootang
02-08-2010, 10:39 PM
I devolumized mine with nylon washers just enough to be able to shoot HP air and to get a few extra shots from a 12g. Get a magnified glass and look just below the power tube on your valve, you might get lucky and have a valve that was only laser welded in 1 spot and loctited together like mine...

http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff333/flyingpootang/StillCap0014.jpg