PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of Dual Detents?

OPBN
02-11-2010, 02:40 PM
I see that some newer aftermarket bodies have dual detents as well as the service being offered by Lukes to drill a second detent. What are the benefits? Is it worth it? Pros/cons?

russc
02-11-2010, 02:45 PM
I'm pretty sure dual detents are staggered so that the ball is held in place directly below the feed port. This stops rollback and ball clipping as the bolt passes the feedneck.

OPBN
02-11-2010, 02:57 PM
I'm pretty sure dual detents are staggered so that the ball is held in place directly below the feed port. This stops rollback and ball clipping as the bolt passes the feedneck.
Not from what I have seen. I have an RPG exile body and the detents are directly across from one another. Haven't had a chance to put paint through it yet, so I haven't been able to see any difference between it and a single detent body. My guess was that the dual detents would keep the ball from getting any type of directional spin from pushing past a single contact detent, but wasnt sure.

Lohman446
02-11-2010, 02:59 PM
I always felt a single detent could place some spin on the ball, causing it to curve towards one side at the end of its flight path. Might be my mind playing tricks on me of course.

TwilightG
02-11-2010, 03:01 PM
I'm sure it helps with some of the really small bore paint.

I've also read (not experienced myself) where some loaders will push paint past a single detent if the tension is set too high.

Aside from that, purely cosmetic? slightly overkill? ;)

SSP REAPER
02-11-2010, 03:04 PM
The only advantage is if you blow one, you have an active failsafe :D

OPBN
02-11-2010, 03:07 PM
I always felt a single detent could place some spin on the ball, causing it to curve towards one side at the end of its flight path. Might be my mind playing tricks on me of course.
This was kind of what I was thinking. I used my single detent ULE body last November for the first time and could have sworn balls were consistently curving to the right towards the end of the flight path. However, I was using a new marker and barrel system, so I couldnt be sure. Haven't gotten a chance to use it again... Might have to do some bench testing once it warms up.

teufelhunden
02-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Dual detents started becoming more common when force feed loaders became more common. They provided some extra support to prevent double feeds from the stronger loaders. Also useful because if one goes you still have a detent.

snoopay700
02-11-2010, 03:13 PM
I've never noticed that with one detent. The only thing i have noticed is a scratch in the barrel will do that. That's another thing entirely though.

That being said, having it balanced is still better, and that way there's no possibility of a roll out. Plus sometimes q-loaders will push past 1 detent.

kcombs9
02-11-2010, 05:48 PM
The only advantage is if you blow one, you have an active failsafe :D

My single failed one day, took half the day to figure out why I was getting what I though was shoot down...

SSP REAPER
02-11-2010, 05:54 PM
My single failed one day, took half the day to figure out why I was getting what I though was shoot down...
yeah I was shooting my wife's mag one day with a rotor on it and wondered why my first shot was a rollout (first shot drop off). I was pushing balls past the single detent (and it needed to be replaced). I fixed it with a new detent and a revvy LOL

kwood
02-11-2010, 08:12 PM

I don't believe that a single detent will put a spin on a ball
with a good bore to paint match it won't be a problem at all
and even if you overbore, the ball isn't going to fly straight down the barrel without touching the sides
it is going to bounce around inside the barrel
a single detent should not effect the spin of a ball
if it was possible the apex barrel would have never been invented
there would have been an apex breech

Drix
02-11-2010, 09:21 PM
I don't believe that a single detent will put a spin on a ball
with a good bore to paint match it won't be a problem at all

I thought you were going to answer in a poem :cry:

kwood
02-11-2010, 09:26 PM
I thought you were going to answer in a poem :cry:

:cool: (cool jazzy bass line in the background)

it may not spin the ball
when it hits the wall
but if you use the proper bore
then you might be a paint whore

Zone Drifter
02-12-2010, 12:17 AM
I've also read (not experienced myself) where some loaders will push paint past a single detent if the tension is set too high.
I believe that's the main reason for them. Most loaders now are force fed so to gain a higher ROF you need to have something to keep the balls pushing in. However, any spring tension loader can push the balls past one detent. This is why nearly all Tiberius markers use a dual detent, to keep the balls from rolling out due to a spring fed clip. There is always tension so you don't want the balls just getting pushed through.

Of course, like most people have said, it's a nice backup as well, and maybe can keep the ball from spinning from the detent, but I suppose that depends on what type of detent is used. :)

MoeMag
02-12-2010, 12:29 AM
Force fed hoppers.

smeek
02-12-2010, 04:55 AM
a single detent should not effect the spin of a ball
if it was possible the apex barrel would have never been invented
there would have been an apex breech

Z body mag? Those could be considered an "Apex Breech" and from what I've heard they do affect the flight path, but no where near what the Apex and flatlines do.

Edit: I think there's probably too much friction between the bolt foamie and the ball plus the fact the pulse of air hits the ball after passing the detent for it to spin much.

Ando
02-12-2010, 07:43 AM
Z body mag? Those could be considered an "Apex Breech" and from what I've heard they do affect the flight path, but no where near what the Apex and flatlines do.

Edit: I think there's probably too much friction between the bolt foamie and the ball plus the fact the pulse of air hits the ball after passing the detent for it to spin much.

If you have a proper Z-Body setup and a good working adj assembly, they'll fly just as good as the flat line or apex.