PDA

View Full Version : Mini Compressor on Youtube!!

AGD
02-13-2010, 09:14 PM
All,

I have uploaded a video of the pre-production prototype compressor. You can hear and see it working.

Enjoy!

AGD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao7aZe4ZQzo

Chris
02-13-2010, 09:19 PM
It's nice to see that it is quiet enough that you could have a conversation around it.

Nice job, Tom!

SSP REAPER
02-13-2010, 09:22 PM
Looks great Tom. It's quiet and works like it should. Keep up the good work :hail:

ezcreation
02-13-2010, 09:22 PM
TOm when can I send you my money to get one?

FA22RaptorF22
02-13-2010, 09:29 PM
Awesome! Can't wait for one!

maniacmechanic
02-13-2010, 09:30 PM
I sure do like the looks of that , sure would like to be one of the testers , at this point I go through a 300 cubic foot 6K nitrogen bottle every month at a cost of about 80$ a bottle , I can use it to excess & it won't take but a few months for it to pay for itself

Jacobd
02-13-2010, 09:48 PM
AWESOME! this kind of thing excites me to no end, it's really cool how you show the guts chugging away, I want one.

sslecyk03
02-13-2010, 09:49 PM
Looks great Tom, so simple it is almost funny.

To be honest though, it does scare me now that people will probably be filling their tanks out of hydro now that they don't need a professional to fill them. Could be a possible safety issue.

Dirge
02-13-2010, 09:53 PM
:clap:

Ando
02-13-2010, 09:55 PM
SEXY TIME!!!

This thing is going to be superb. :clap:

Great job Mr. Kaye.

maniacmechanic
02-13-2010, 09:58 PM

To be honest though, it does scare me now that people will probably be filling their tanks out of hydro now that they don't need a professional to fill them. Could be a possible safety issue.

Remember ; you can't fix stupid

Looper
02-13-2010, 10:11 PM
This is my favor part of the FAQ

Q: Who is behind the design and production?
A: Tom Kaye owner of Airgun Designs is responsible for the development of the compressor. He is getting back into the paintball business after 5 years in retirement.

kwood
02-13-2010, 10:12 PM
way to cool
great work TK

DevilMan
02-13-2010, 10:21 PM
That is FREAKIN COOL!!!!!

Love it TK, so glad to see it coming alive! Gonna have to start saving my $$$ again!

DM

FA22RaptorF22
02-13-2010, 10:50 PM
Remember ; you can't fix stupid

Well...

scanf("Stupid", &Smart);

:D

WingMan13
02-13-2010, 11:10 PM
now that they don't need a professional to fill them. Could be a possible safety issue.

Define Professional. I have a pimple faced kid filling tanks @ my local field. lol

sslecyk03
02-13-2010, 11:12 PM
Define Professional. I have a pimple faced kid filling tanks @ my local field. lol

By professional I mean someone who is legally responsible for checking the hydro dates on tanks before they are filled. Obviously if nobody needs to check it people will still use it. Which is pretty dumb but like MM said, you can't fix stupid.

BigEvil
02-13-2010, 11:35 PM
Looks big, until you see the screwdriver sitting next to it :wow:

CatoRockwell
02-14-2010, 12:41 AM
^^^ Amen to that, in fact, I believe we should just allow stupid people to suffer the consequences of their actions, it would improve the gene pool.

pump
02-14-2010, 12:42 AM
uh with that gear it looks like i could peddle that thing

jade_monkey07
02-14-2010, 01:48 AM
that would be a good workout, couple hours to get to 4500 psi

gremlin75
02-14-2010, 03:52 AM
uh with that gear it looks like i could peddle that thing

That woud be awesome! Fill my tank while getting my excersize in. Greatest idea ever!!

later
gremlin

ta2maki
02-14-2010, 04:16 AM
I'm a bit surprised at the speed of the thing. I was expecting a larger diameter pump cylinder cycling at 1 or 2 times a second and most of the noise coming from the reduction gears of the motor. I was also expecting to see the 2 stages being pumped at slightly different phases.

Looks like you would be able to switch the cutoff from 4500 to 3000psi by swapping out that spring.

pump
02-14-2010, 05:26 AM
i actually like it human powered, watch tv, cycle a bit.....couple hours i get a full tank...go tech my guns.....when the tanks empty cycle again....i could actually be motivated to lose weight just so i got air to use

ezcreation
02-14-2010, 07:16 AM
That is really awesome to be frank.

I am not sure where to ask the questions so why not here:
- Are we still within the 2 months of productions?
- I am planning on getting a 3000 and a 4500 model. Pre-register? I would pay full right away.

FiXeL
02-14-2010, 08:05 AM
That just looks so awesome... And it's not that loud at all...

Two questions:

- Does it still need to be fed with compressed air from a shop compressor?
- Will there be a model available for the european market? (220volts AC @ 50Hz)

I want one! :D

LiqTenExp
02-14-2010, 08:33 AM
Sign me up! Money in hand. LOL

punkncat
02-14-2010, 10:22 AM
Totally different than what I had invisioned in my head. Really cool item

AGD
02-14-2010, 01:08 PM
I am working on getting it out as soon as possible. Probably at least 2 months but not 4.

I am working on distribution in Europe. Getting some old friends involved.

AGD

Tunaman
02-14-2010, 01:23 PM
I am working on getting it out as soon as possible. Probably at least 2 months but not 4.

AGD
Are you going to take care of your faithful Dealers so we can sell them too? ;)

manwe33
02-14-2010, 01:30 PM
That things look like something that has been much needed in the sport. Glad to see you Working your Magic and cant wait to get my hands on one. :cheers:

AGD
02-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Only dealers that smell like fish!! :)

Yes, I will take care of the dealers but it has to wait until the 2nd run when the prices come down with volume and I can give you something. I am only doing 100 in the first batch to verify the design.

AGD

BenoitOWN
02-14-2010, 02:42 PM
I have a Salmon in my freezer does that work too?

:p

splat15k
02-14-2010, 02:52 PM
Great job,Tom! It's good to hear the voice of innovation again!

paintball72
02-14-2010, 04:52 PM
WOOT :clap:
I really hope I can be in the first100

Newt
02-14-2010, 05:40 PM
Great looking little widgit! Definitely a rabbit. :D

Ando
02-14-2010, 08:23 PM
Mr. Kaye

I noticed your using a chain from the motor to the compressor. Did you try using a belt (like you would find on a car) to drive it? Might cut down on the noise lvl even more but then again you'd have to get belts specially made for it. Just a thought.

AGD
02-14-2010, 09:51 PM
Ando,

I had to use the chain to keep the cost down. I wanted to use a timing belt but it would have added about 75 bucks to the cost believe it or not.

AGD

Sweet Tooth
02-14-2010, 10:01 PM
What is the black line going to the compressor?

maniacmechanic
02-14-2010, 10:43 PM
^^^ 80 PSI input

snoopay700
02-15-2010, 12:23 AM
I'm glad i got to see inside it, it works much like i thought it did. It's now one of my favorites, and i've subscribed in case anything else gets posted. :cheers:

Ando
02-15-2010, 05:19 AM
Ando,

I had to use the chain to keep the cost down. I wanted to use a timing belt but it would have added about 75 bucks to the cost believe it or not.

AGD
Understandable and probably for the best. There would be some irate significant others looking for their good pantyhose's if the belt ever broke. :p

Gadget
02-15-2010, 07:39 AM

AGD

Glad to hear you're keeping us euro-types in mind. Should I re-add John & Jackie to my speeddial? :)

Looks great, I'm certainly interested in getting a 3000psi model for home tinkering.

ezcreation
02-15-2010, 05:53 PM
Only dealers that smell like fish!! :)

Yes, I will take care of the dealers but it has to wait until the 2nd run when the prices come down with volume and I can give you something. I am only doing 100 in the first batch to verify the design.

AGD

Sounds fair Tom.

Since there will be only 100 made first run, can you please let us know how you will proceed to select them?

Flatliner333
02-15-2010, 06:09 PM
I am glad I was here to see this happen...great work...and his first Youtube video was a doozy.

Sweet Tooth
02-15-2010, 07:38 PM
^^^ 80 PSI input

No, I know the large one on top is 80 psi, but the black one on the left hand side is what I'm referring to. It looks like a high pressure line of some sort...

AGD
02-15-2010, 09:35 PM
The black hose on the left is shrink tube on a braided stainless hose. Its all sticking out because I have quick disconnects on it so I can splice in a gauge when I need to see the pressure out of that piston. The production unit will have a steel tube like the one below the braided.

AO members are going to get first shot at the first batch so HANG OUT HERE!! :)

AGD

Zone Drifter
02-16-2010, 12:57 AM
AO members are going to get first shot at the first batch so HANG OUT HERE!! :)
Happy days for us! :D

FA22RaptorF22
02-16-2010, 01:21 AM
Is there going to be some sort of dump valve / bleed device for disconnecting the tank included with this?

AGD
02-16-2010, 02:28 AM
YES! (glad you asked because it took some effort to design it in)

The degas knob is directly above the output port in the pictures. You screw it in to degass the line.

AGD

mostpeople
02-16-2010, 02:32 AM
Awesome Tom!

I will buy one to show my support!

Are you considering stepping back into the paintball marker business for good?

AGD
02-16-2010, 02:41 AM
The marker business is pretty tough right now. I am talking with different people since things are in such upheaval. Can't tell what the future holds.

AGD

snoopay700
02-16-2010, 11:40 AM
The marker business is pretty tough right now. I am talking with different people since things are in such upheaval. Can't tell what the future holds.

AGD
That sounds like a maybe to me. Well if you do come back i'd be glad to see you back, and i have a feeling that if you came out with a new marker it would be the next one i buy since i'm probably done for a while what with trying to get a prototype made for my design.

ezcreation
02-16-2010, 01:30 PM

AGD

Market is tough but you do have a strong core of fans who trust you and will consider changing their equipment.

Personally I love my automag xvalve and the only thingI would work on would be efficiency. I am not sure how it is doable but it would be a niche-market imo.

going_home
02-16-2010, 08:18 PM
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs158.snc3/18560_303441261129_216287806129_3505512_5581244_n. jpg

You really get an idea of just how small it is when you see that picture.

Wow :wow:

:bounce:

FA22RaptorF22
02-17-2010, 12:01 AM
YES! (glad you asked because it took some effort to design it in)

The degas knob is directly above the output port in the pictures. You screw it in to degass the line.

AGD

Awesome! This is looking great. Love the stylish pose Tom :D

Voltar1
02-17-2010, 04:17 PM
Tom, just joined up yesterday due to the compressor info posted on Talon Airguns Group.

I am curious about the suction and discharge checks for each stage. Are they user serviceable or are replacements available? How about the piston rings?

I may have need of one of these compressors as a backup to my Walter Kidde compressor.
So is the pressure determined by the pressure cutout arrangment? by spring selection or placement on the guide? For most uses 3,000psi would be fine but occasional 4500 would be needed. For airgunning the 3,000 works but for filling my 68/4500 is requiired.

Cheers,
keep up the good work
Walter
Canada

oh yes.... how about stripped down sans motor?

AGD
02-17-2010, 09:08 PM
Hi Walter,

Welcome to AO. I am glad you came because I have been monitoring the conversation over at Talon.

All the parts are user serviceable. I made it so you can break it down without special tools. For instance, disconnecting a hose and one snap ring is all that is needed to remove the cylinders. There are no piston rings. The "piston" is a chrome plated steel rod no more or less. There are only orings making all the seals and they are stationary in the cylinder.

There is a back-check that uses an oring at the ends of the cylinders. No in and out valves like in a standard compressor. The cylinder pulls a slight vacuum on the back stroke until the rod pulls out of the stationary oring letting in the next charge.

The spring holds back an over-center arrangement on the lever arm. When the pressure against the pistons gets high enough, the over-center allows the arm to snap forward and hit the on-off switch as you surmised. The spring pressure controls the final cutoff with a small amount of adjustment by sliding the anchor along the piston shaft. Because there is a rated burst disk in the compressor, and its different for 3k and 4.5, I will not be selling a convertible model. What you do is your business but when your dead I need to say I didn't sell it to you that way. :)

Tell the guys over at Talon that there are many, many ways to make it better but only a few, that keeps it in this price category, with low volume production, and made in this country.

I would sell them without the motor but at the rpm its running, the cylinders are hitting 160 deg and not likely to handle more RPM's without melting the orings.

Hope that answers your questions.

AGD

Sweet Tooth
02-17-2010, 10:18 PM
Hi Walter,

Welcome to AO. I am glad you came because I have been monitoring the conversation over at Talon.

All the parts are user serviceable. I made it so you can break it down without special tools. For instance, disconnecting a hose and one snap ring is all that is needed to remove the cylinders. There are no piston rings. The "piston" is a chrome plated steel rod no more or less. There are only orings making all the seals and they are stationary in the cylinder.

There is a back-check that uses an oring at the ends of the cylinders. No in and out valves like in a standard compressor. The cylinder pulls a slight vacuum on the back stroke until the rod pulls out of the stationary oring letting in the next charge.

The spring holds back an over-center arrangement on the lever arm. When the pressure against the pistons gets high enough, the over-center allows the arm to snap forward and hit the on-off switch as you surmised. The spring pressure controls the final cutoff with a small amount of adjustment by sliding the anchor along the piston shaft. Because there is a rated burst disk in the compressor, and its different for 3k and 4.5, I will not be selling a convertible model. What you do is your business but when your dead I need to say I didn't sell it to you that way. :)

Tell the guys over at Talon that there are many, many ways to make it better but only a few, that keeps it in this price category, with low volume production, and made in this country.

I would sell them without the motor but at the rpm its running, the cylinders are hitting 160 deg and not likely to handle more RPM's without melting the orings.

AGD

That's some VERY useful information there, Tom. :D

Voltar1
02-18-2010, 12:52 AM
Hi Walter,

AGD

Tom, thank you.
I guess what i was getting at with the no motor thing was to reduce cost and weight for shipping. Speed of motor is most likely 1750rpm or 1140rpm?
cool method to do the inlet check and stages! I like that. Do you lubricate the orings?
Does the compressor need the burst disk? how about a spring controlled relief adjustable even?
Please advise if you would sell the housing stripped of motor and pressure cutout ( I would use a pair of pressure switchs calibrated for the 3,000psi and one at 4500psi.

Watching with admiration as I was one of the naysayers :)
Walter....

AGD
02-18-2010, 01:28 AM
Walter,

You had every right to question it since no one had been able to do it before. People who can change their minds in the face of new data are tops in my book. Thanks for the kind comments :)

The motor speed is 1140 with 5-1 reduction so your talking about 200rpm. It would have been much easier to find a 1700 motor but the reduction to 200 rpm was too costly and over sized.

You put high temp lithium grease on the outside of the shafts and it migrates in to the orings when its pumping. There are delrin sleeves in the cylinders guiding the shafts that are pretty much self lubricating (and a replaceable part). The back check orings don't do much so don't require consistent lube.

Burst disk is a safety feature. They are industry standard and less expensive than a 4500 psi relief.

I will sell it without a motor but not without the cutoff. It wouldn't reduce the price anyway. If you find an inexpensive 4500 pressure switch please let me know. Lowest price I found was 70 bucks. I am sure you will find it easily meets all your needs (cryptic comment to avoid liability).

Thanks,

AGD

Mr. Mouse
02-18-2010, 02:15 PM
the man is still in the sport.... sporadically ;)

ezcreation
03-11-2010, 08:50 PM
Any update Tom?

ProblemKinder
03-12-2010, 12:48 AM
AWESOME! this kind of thing excites me to no end, it's really cool how you show the guts chugging away, I want one.

I think the case should be clear :headbang:

b-cuzz
03-12-2010, 08:35 AM
Very cool! I'd like to get one for my local field so I can get air there instead of co2.

Has this marvel been dubbed?

AGD
03-12-2010, 11:07 AM
I had to switch to a 1700 rpm motor because the original overheated. That required more gear reduction and a redesign. I am now finalizing everything and starting to send suppliers orders for the parts. I will be in Chicago in about 4 weeks to produce the first 100 units.

Nothing final on the name yet. Too busy...

AGD

ezcreation
03-12-2010, 11:42 AM
I had to switch to a 1700 rpm motor because the original overheated. That required more gear reduction and a redesign. I am now finalizing everything and starting to send suppliers orders for the parts. I will be in Chicago in about 4 weeks to produce the first 100 units.

AGD

Cool! Do you need $$ via pre-orders?

PaintballEngineer
03-12-2010, 05:32 PM

It would be a good idea to include a pamphlet that outlines safety guidelines, teaches people how to actually read tank labels, and what to watch out for as far as damage goes. :)

skipdogg
03-12-2010, 05:42 PM

AGD

Sounds like its on track to debut at LL3!!! :clap: :headbang: :dance:

kenjay
03-12-2010, 06:06 PM
I am anxiously, anxiously waiting to have one of these in my garage. Hopefully the testing for those first 100 units doesn't drag on too long. :D