PDA

View Full Version : Inconsistent X Valve chrono speed

Slider30250
02-16-2010, 11:10 AM
Is it normal for the X valve to be inconsistent over the chrono for the first 5 to7 shots before it settles down to +/- 1 to 2 fps. My valve acts like it needs some heat in it first before the shot to shot consistency settles down.

vf-xx
02-16-2010, 11:24 AM
Are you chronoing properly?

X-valves you should fire one shot, then hold the trigger back, then quickly cycle the trigger (again holding the trigger back).

Slider30250
02-16-2010, 11:33 AM
Are you chronoing properly?

X-valves you should fire one shot, then hold the trigger back, then quickly cycle the trigger (again holding the trigger back).

I am, I have used the RT method as well as just pulling the trigger and releasing before firing the next shot and both methods showed the same result.

FA22RaptorF22
02-16-2010, 12:27 PM
Simple fix. Problems with velocity have to do with the regulator section.

To be safe, replace the two reg seat orings and lube the reg piston in the back of the regulator.

Run oil through the asa and you are good to go

Slider30250
02-16-2010, 12:37 PM
Simple fix. Problems with velocity have to do with the regulator section.

To be safe, replace the two reg seat orings and lube the reg piston in the back of the regulator.

Run oil through the asa and you are good to go

Would regulator problems explain why it takes 5 to 7 shots for the FPS to settle down?

FA22RaptorF22
02-16-2010, 01:15 PM
Would regulator problems explain why it takes 5 to 7 shots for the FPS to settle down?

Yes. A poor reg seat would take a few shots to seal properly which would explain more psi getting into the dump chamber and screwing with your shot consistency.

Watcher
02-16-2010, 06:57 PM
OIL :clap:

If that doesn't do it, as was said: The reg-seat o-ring or the reg-piston o-ring.

Try the reg seat first before opening up the reg half to get to the piston.

Slider30250
02-16-2010, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, I have ordered a rebuild kit for my X valve. The frustrating thing about this problem is that the valve has been doing this since it was new, I thought it was normal for the X valve to be +/- 25 FPS for the first few shots before shooting good. I just want my X valve to shoot cold as good as it does hot (temp wise).

FA22RaptorF22
02-16-2010, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, I have ordered a rebuild kit for my X valve. The frustrating thing about this problem is that the valve has been doing this since it was new, I thought it was normal for the X valve to be +/- 25 FPS for the first few shots before shooting good. I just want my X valve to shoot cold as good as it does hot (temp wise).

hmm maybe your carrier is a tad tight and takes a few shots to break it in.

Slider30250
02-16-2010, 08:08 PM
I don't think so, I have shot 6 cases through the valve and have adjusted the carrier O ring tension to the point that the bolt will almost fall off the end of the powertube when the valve is tipped down. I just hope that the O ring kit will fix it.

Ando
02-16-2010, 09:20 PM
I'm assuming you been using the same air tank with those 6 cases?

I wouldn't worry about it. If it's only your fist 7 shots doing it, I don't see that as a issue.

athomas
02-17-2010, 11:59 AM
Take the velocity adjuster off the back and clean the back section of the valve out and inspect the oring. Dirt here could affect the ability of the regulator to react properly.

FA22RaptorF22
02-17-2010, 12:07 PM
Take the velocity adjuster off the back and clean the back section of the valve out and inspect the oring. Dirt here could affect the ability of the regulator to react properly.

Well the regulator nut doesn't have to be clean; its rather that the piston can seal good yet move freely and easily so the reg can react quickly!

Slider30250
02-17-2010, 01:03 PM

ATHOMAS, am I correct in assuming that the X valve should be as consistent shot to shot as the classic valve, just faster.

athomas
02-17-2010, 02:20 PM
The X-valve should be as consistent as the classic valve if you fire consistently. It won't be as consistent, just because you can't have exactly the same time between each successive pull. X-valves have to deal with heating due to their recharge rate. That does affect their shot to shot consistency, although it is only by a couple of fps usually.

Slider30250
02-17-2010, 03:41 PM
The X-valve should be as consistent as the classic valve if you fire consistently. It won't be as consistent, just because you can't have exactly the same time between each successive pull. X-valves have to deal with heating due to their recharge rate. That does affect their shot to shot consistency, although it is only by a couple of fps usually.

Ok that's what I figured. I was seeing +/- 15 to 25 FPS until the valve started heating before the FPS settled down to +/- 1 to 2 FPS. Now I know AGD recommends automotive grease on the reg springs, I tried that on my classic valve and got inconsistent velocity out of it, I cleaned out the grease and used oil instead and that fixed the velocity fluctuations. Should I try the same thing with the X valve when I install the o ring kit?

athomas
02-17-2010, 07:11 PM
A coating of grease is recommended just to keep the springs from rusting. The best thing to maintain consistence is to keep the valve clean. Periodically take it apart and clean the internals, including the regulator piston area. A tiny grit of sand can cause havoc with velocity.