PDA

View Full Version : Classic valve - wont shoot under 330 fps

chaz69
02-17-2010, 02:31 PM
So, I go out last night with my pumpmag, gas it up and shoot a shot over the chrony.. 360!!
Umm... ok... turn it down... 350....340...330...330...330... it just doesn't want to go below 330 fps.

Is there something that might be causing this?

Tank is a crossfire(reg and bottle) 4500 HP.
running straight into the valve.

Paint to barrel match seemed ok, not tight or anything.

HELP!?

xero28
02-17-2010, 02:59 PM
There's probably something sticking inside the reg. Probably a good cleaning/lubing should do the trick. When was the last time it was shooting normal? When did you last break it down and clean the internals?

chaz69
02-17-2010, 03:19 PM
There's probably something sticking inside the reg. Probably a good cleaning/lubing should do the trick. When was the last time it was shooting normal? When did you last break it down and clean the internals?

umm... last time it was shooting normal was quite awhile ago (3-5 years).
I can strip it down and clean and lube the crap out of it tonight and see how that goes.
I will take pictures in case there are other issues other then cleaning and lube.

Thanks for the quick response!

xero28
02-17-2010, 03:36 PM
umm... last time it was shooting normal was quite awhile ago (3-5 years).
I can strip it down and clean and lube the crap out of it tonight and see how that goes.
I will take pictures in case there are other issues other then cleaning and lube.

Thanks for the quick response!

Yeah, most likely just needs a good lubing. 3-5 years will dry out the o-rings and cause things to stick, which in turn causes erratic performance. Unless you have already done so, I'd try simply putting 5 drops of oil in the asa, cycle it about 20 times without a barrel, see if that helps. If not, break it down and give it good cleaning.

:cheers:

chaz69
02-17-2010, 08:35 PM
so...ripped it apart and the spring pack was all gunked up.. cleaned that up so it was gunk free.

Ripped the rest apart and everything was "dirty". Took a clean rag and gave everything a good wipe and re-oil.
Thought something looked off so I found a diagram and it appears that (For reasons unknown) my valve was missing a Reg. Seat :wow:
Thank goodness I had a spare valve for parts that still had one.

I have yet to shoot it but based on my findings I think I am going to be ok now :clap:

Thanks everyone for the quick help!

FA22RaptorF22
02-17-2010, 10:59 PM
so...ripped it apart and the spring pack was all gunked up.. cleaned that up so it was gunk free.

Ripped the rest apart and everything was "dirty". Took a clean rag and gave everything a good wipe and re-oil.
Thought something looked off so I found a diagram and it appears that (For reasons unknown) my valve was missing a Reg. Seat :wow:
Thank goodness I had a spare valve for parts that still had one.

I have yet to shoot it but based on my findings I think I am going to be ok now :clap:

Thanks everyone for the quick help!

yeah.... no reg seat would allow just a tad too much psi into the dump chamber == high velocity.

Good find.

chaz69
02-26-2010, 02:46 PM
the reg seat seemed to do it.

I forgot how consistent mags are over the chrono!

I tested today and with crappy paint and no paint to barrel match I had the following

229 228 231 227 232