PDA

View Full Version : Question on Carrier in Level 10

Almon
02-17-2010, 10:05 PM
I'm been changing my carrier around because I think that is what is causing a leak down the barrel. (I am hearing the loudest hissing from the hole the barrel goes in and the hole of the feedneck) A question came to my mind. Is it possible to push the carrier too far into the tube when putting it in? If it is possible to push it in too far, what are the symptoms that occur when you gas the gun up?

ArmyEngineer
02-17-2010, 10:26 PM
I'm been changing my carrier around because I think that is what is causing a leak down the barrel. (I am hearing the loudest hissing from the hole the barrel goes in and the hole of the feedneck) A question came to my mind. Is it possible to push the carrier too far into the tube when putting it in? If it is possible to push it in too far, what are the symptoms that occur when you gas the gun up?

Hey Almon, I don't think that is possible, but I could be wrong. Are you certain the powertube o-ring that you have been using is in good condition and lubricated? Carrier o-rings look okay? The piston of your bolt isn't damaged, is it? Those are just a few other ideas. I'm no expert on this, yet!

See this link:
http://www.automagsuk.com/level10.html

Jacobd
02-17-2010, 10:56 PM
Since you think it might be pushed in too far I want to ask, do you have the white powertube washer that goes in before the carrier?

secretweaponevan
02-17-2010, 10:57 PM
Did you install your backing washer?

edit: drat! beaten!

FA22RaptorF22
02-17-2010, 10:58 PM
1) Fire a shot and hold the trigger back.
-->If you have a leak while holding the trigger the problem is with the on/off or regulator sections.

..If you have no leak then the powertube is your problem area.

Pick a carrier that fits tight enough that it doesn't leak and try it first with NO SHIMS.

No shims helps distinguish a carrier leak from a shim leak.

Make sure the carrier with an oring in it slides pretty snug on the bolt stem. If it still leaks...drop a carrier size.

Almon
02-17-2010, 11:03 PM
Hey Almon, I don't think that is possible, but I could be wrong. Are you certain the powertube o-ring that you have been using is in good condition and lubricated? Carrier o-rings look okay? You haven't lost the backing washer, have you? I don't think you would just have a leak if you had. The piston of your bolt isn't damaged, is it? Those are just a few other ideas. I'm no expert on this, yet!

Hey ArmyEngineer. I have all the pieces in. I was just curious if it was possible. I just got a Tac One brand new, but I have been having leaking issues with it during the two paintball outings I have used it on. It was fairly cold so I don't know if that contributes at all. I would start the day ok, no leaks. But a couple hours later I hear hissing down the barrel. I usually hear it during a game and I fire a shot or two to stop it, or lessen it so that I can't really hear it with my mask on. The first time this happened I put the o-ring I was using on the next carrier down which was the size 0 and removed one of the two shims in it. In my room it was dry firing fine and I setup a mini shooting range in my attic to shoot some paint to test it. It was firing fine with no hissing what so ever. So I was confident that the next outing I would run into any leaks at all during the day. Of course I got a repeat on the second time I took the gun out to play. The same thing happened, after a couple hours of play in the cold it started hissing again. It wasn't as bad as the first day, but it was hissing. When were done with that round I went to the table and thought maybe taking out that last shim would fix the problem. However, when I did that and put everything back together and gassed it up it wouldn't fire at all. The trigger pin was coming out when I turned the gas on, but when I pulled the trigger it didn't fire. I thought maybe it doesn't have enough air so I filled the tank, but the problem persisted. I kept putzing with it at the field and I got to the point where it would fire, but every so often it wouldn't fire on a trigger pull. So we ended up calling it a day. Once I got home I was trying various combinations of shims and carriers. Eventually it started to fire all the time, but it was with the same setup I had put it to at the field where this not firing situation occurred. Now that it was firing again I started to try figuring out the leaking problem. I found when I gassed it up it was hiss, but then I would pull the trigger with the safety on and it seemed that small amount of trigger travel would stop that leak. Then there was also a hiss when I held down the trigger when firing it, but after a couple seconds of holding down the trigger the hissing would go away. I wasn't sure if this was normal or not so I tried using one spare new o-rings and started from the size 1 carrier with it. When it leaked I decided to go back to the old o-ring on size 0, but when I gassed it up it wouldn't fire most of the time like it was doing at the field. So I am now with the new o-ring I was testing out with a size 0.5 carrier and it doesn't leak currently when I gas it up and it fires all the time and it doesn't leak at all when I hold down trigger. The question came up because during this final configuration I don't think I pushed the carrier as far as I think I did before, but this could be my mind playing tricks on me. lol Sorry for the long storry. It ended up being my life story with my first mag. :P I'm just confused as to what I am doing wrong because from what I am reading on the forum the Tac One is proven reliable, so that just means I am messing something up.

Almon
02-17-2010, 11:04 PM
Since you think it might be pushed in too far I want to ask, do you have the white powertube washer that goes in before the carrier?

Yep that white plastic washer is back there.

Almon
02-17-2010, 11:11 PM
1) Fire a shot and hold the trigger back.
-->If you have a leak while holding the trigger the problem is with the on/off or regulator sections.

..If you have no leak then the powertube is your problem area.

Pick a carrier that fits tight enough that it doesn't leak and try it first with NO SHIMS.

No shims helps distinguish a carrier leak from a shim leak.

Make sure the carrier with an oring in it slides pretty snug on the bolt stem. If it still leaks...drop a carrier size.

Thank you Raptor. I currently have it at a point where it doesn't leak for now. It has no shims and size 0.5 carrier with a brand new o-ring. Your hold trigger leak bring me to a question I wanted to ask about that type of leak. If when you hold the trigger and it leaks, but after a few seconds it goes away. What does that mean?

Ando
02-18-2010, 12:32 AM
Your on/off orings are probably done. Replace your 2 top on/off orings. If it continues to do it, replace the one inside the on/off (small balck one)

Almon
02-18-2010, 01:01 AM
Your on/off orings are probably done. Replace your 2 top on/off orings. If it continues to do it, replace the one inside the on/off (small balck one)

Thank you Ando for the information. I will have to order some of these o-rings from Tuna. I don't think I have spares for them. Also could you point me to instructions to how to get to the on/off? I'm assuming this is the Reactive Trigger On/Off?

Tunaman
02-18-2010, 06:18 AM
I think you should send it here and let me have a look at it. Something is still not right.

FA22RaptorF22
02-18-2010, 09:58 AM
Thank you Raptor. I currently have it at a point where it doesn't leak for now. It has no shims and size 0.5 carrier with a brand new o-ring. Your hold trigger leak bring me to a question I wanted to ask about that type of leak. If when you hold the trigger and it leaks, but after a few seconds it goes away. What does that mean?

If it sputters...that requires a bottom on/off ring to be replaced.

If it sounds like a regulator leak rather than a barrel one while holding the trigger, check the reg seat.

Almon
02-18-2010, 12:14 PM
Thank you everyone for your help. I sent Tunaman a pm this morning. I am going to follow his recommendation of sending it to him to take a look at. Everyone was very helpful, thanks again. Though I am having leaking issues I still love my Tac One and hope to someday build a mag with my own two hands.