PDA

View Full Version : Tank Damaged by Hydro Tester

ArmyEngineer
02-18-2010, 09:01 PM
Hey guys,
First of all, I will only use a paintball hydro tester from now on.

I needed a test performed by next weekend, so rather than send it off, I took my tank to a local certified high pressure tester. I walked in and told the techs what I needed, and went so far as to tell them how to remove the reg (with a conformable vise and strap wrench on the bottle.) They listened and assured me that everything would be fine. They told me in plain terms, "Don't worry, man; we won't damage your tank."

So I got the call today, left work, and walked into the shop. First thing I noticed was a damaged neck and some minor damage to the reg. I asked the guy, apparently the head of the service dept, what the deal was. He told me it was fine, so I pressed a little and he ran his finger over it as if that would assure me of anything. He says, "Ouch," and pulls a fiberglass shard from his finger. So I asked if he was sure it was safe, and he told me it was fine but that he would put a little epoxy over it, which he did. Now, the cylinder did pass the hydro test, but I am concerned that the broken strands will now unravel and I'll die. I called the guys at hydrotester.com and explained what happened and they told me not to worry about it. However, they did not see the following pictures:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/firewalker877/IMG_0963.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/firewalker877/IMG_0962.jpg

I am also concerned that the people who fill my tank will see the damage and deny me. They wouldn't know that the damage was sustained before a hydro test. (I am in a better position now because I have a receipt dated today, but that will mean less and less as time goes by.) I hear kruger is manning the air station next weekend, so I would especially love to hear his thoughts. lol

bojangles1983
02-18-2010, 09:10 PM
I personally would not have a problem at all in using that tank. The most likely problem may be with sealing the reg to the tank without it leaking but since it didnt actually damage the aluminum inner tank I dont think you will have a problem.

gremlin75
02-18-2010, 09:13 PM
As long as they put some epoxy over it so that it doesn't unravel it will be fine.

later
gremlin

MANN
02-18-2010, 09:13 PM
same here. that looks like no big deal. if it passed hydro, and there is epoxy on it you will be fine.

ArmyEngineer
02-18-2010, 09:14 PM
Thats good news bojangles. I hope the rest of AO agrees. I was worried about that too, but both my arm and the old reg seem to barely miss the damage. I took some 900 grit sandpaper to the epoxy just to be sure. I will take it to the dive shop tomorrow to see if it leaks.

robo1
02-18-2010, 09:15 PM
Ouch, that just looks painful. If they busted it, they should replace it.

ArmyEngineer
02-18-2010, 09:15 PM
Wow, lots of feedback. Thanks guys, I will rest a little easier. :cheers: Although I completely agree with you Robo. I don't know that I could actually convince them to.

Sweet Tooth
02-18-2010, 10:36 PM
I saw the thread title, and though "sucks to be you" then i saw the poster, and was like "dang it!"

Kruger informed me he won't be there. I think it will be fine. As long as we don't tip Twisted Metal over. You would snap your spine, and the tank (the one that's chipped, not my tank) would explode on your paralyzed corpse.

I'll be driving nice and slow..

ArmyEngineer
02-18-2010, 11:06 PM
I saw the thread title, and though "sucks to be you" then i saw the poster, and was like "dang it!"

Kruger informed me he won't be there. I think it will be fine. As long as we don't tip Twisted Metal over. You would snap your spine, and the tank (the one that's chipped, not my tank) would explode on your paralyzed corpse.

I'll be driving nice and slow..

I'm thinking I may go up there and complain tomorrow. I took a closer look at the reg, and they really did a number on it. This tank was spotless before I took it up there. Anyway, I would rather not die and subsequently suffer cremation on a paintball field. So yes, slow would be nice. :)

RehKal
02-19-2010, 12:24 AM
I had the same exact thing happen to me. In fact. A friend of mine took the tank to a scuba shop to send off to the local testing place. I got the tank back WITH A DIFFERENT REG. This, of course, was rather disturbing. I think the only reason I got my original reg back was because I had a low pressure reg on it and I'm sure the person that ended up with it couldn't USE it due to the low pressure. But after getting the correct reg back I found the Oring seal on the reg had been damaged, part of it was actually missing. Looked like it had been dropped and part snapped off. And the bottle had a long, narrow scar in the neck similar to that one. The reg repair was a easy fix, called the manufactorer and they sent me a new top for the reg. The bottle was sent back for repair.

Ever since then I simple drive my tanks over to the place that does the testing and get it done while I wait. Makes life much easier.

Thespis
02-19-2010, 12:33 AM
I would recommend sending it to Ninja Paintball. You pay for a new reg and get the tank hydro'd and thoroughly checked out for free. Great guys to just give a call to and ask a question about your tank as well.

Ravenneon
02-19-2010, 04:37 AM
We'll the reg they might not have been able to avoid. The place I took mine to came right out and said that in all likely hood the reg would recieve some marks due to the fact that they are hard to remove. Sure enough it had a couple but wasnt to bad. The tank however didnt recieve any and was perfect.

FA22RaptorF22
02-19-2010, 12:09 PM
Honestly that tank is perfectly fine. Its probably that was just a tool mark or they banged it on something accientally. But that is what hydro is for!

Also, I would look up brass anchor scuba and send your tanks there. I have had nothing but good dealing with them and good turn around times.