PDA

View Full Version : X-Valve is driving me nuts

jrod
02-22-2010, 10:29 PM
Ok, here's another leaking down the barrel post. ULE body, tac one rail, xvalve, ult (new pin and o-rings), and, of course, a level 10 w/ no shims, gold spring, two 68ci tanks w/ 850 psi output (and yes, they were full - I've gone through four fills trying to make this work).

What I've done so far:
Went down to carrier 0. Got sporadic leaking and bolt stick. Leaking would slow, then stop when holding the trigger. For fun, I tried the red spring and cranked up the pressure. Didn't help. Completely disassembled the valve, and cleaned and re-lubed everything. No significant changes. Throughout the process, I've used lots of oil.

Ordered new o-rings (thanks Tuna). Carrier 2, too loose. Carrier 1, leaking, holding trigger would slow then stop the leak. Carrier zero, got bolt stick, would shoot, then slowly re-cock. For fun, I switched out the ULT with a RT on/off. No help. I've also tried combinations of loosening and tightening the frame screw and field strip screw. The leaking certainly changes pitch, and I can get it to stop leaking, but only temporarily.

I give up. What else can I try? My rail bushing is in place. But could it be damaged, or too loose? As far as I can tell, the trigger rod is the standard length. What am I missing?

Tuna, if you're reading this, I may be sending you the marker to fix.

kcombs9
02-22-2010, 10:43 PM
I had same problems with one of my xvalve, ended up being the powertube was loss.

AGD can fix this. AGD is 90 + parts + shipping both ways. I think Tuna can too but Id wait for him to say so :)

Ando
02-22-2010, 10:43 PM
Stupid question but did you try using a dif lvl 10 oring?

FA22RaptorF22
02-22-2010, 10:51 PM
use a NEW gold spring. fixed that issue for me.

jrod
02-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Stupid question but did you try using a dif lvl 10 oring?

Yep, got brand new o-rings from Tuna.

use a NEW gold spring. fixed that issue for me.

I don't have a new gold spring. But I did try two different new red springs and another used gold spring. Didn't help.

I had same problems with one of my xvalve, ended up being the powertube was loss.

AGD can fix this. AGD is 90 + parts + shipping both ways. I think Tuna can too but Id wait for him to say so :)

That's good to know. I'll keep that in mind.

Jim2752
02-22-2010, 11:09 PM
A leak from the on/off can sound just like a barrel leak and the air can actually vent down the barrel . Listen and find out exactly where the leak is. It could be a scratch where the on/off goes in the valve.

Ando
02-23-2010, 09:28 AM
Do you have the plastic washer inside the PT? Black oring around the carrier? Maybe try a different bolt if you have one. If you have any friends in the area with a mag see if you can borrow theirs. Better yet. Install a lvl 7 and see if it's still leaking.

Ck your sear and bolt. Make sure neither one is FUBAR'ed. If the lip on your bolt looks chewed up. I"m willing to bet your sear has taken a dirt nap.

It very well might be your PT leaking but I would exhaust ever other avenue before sending it off. This is how you really get to know your mag :D

jrod
02-23-2010, 09:38 AM
Do you have the plastic washer inside the PT? Black oring around the carrier? Maybe try a different bolt if you have one. If you have any friends in the area with a mag see if you can borrow theirs. Better yet. Install a lvl 7 and see if it's still leaking.

Ck your sear and bolt. Make sure neither one is FUBAR'ed. If the lip on your bolt looks chewed up. I"m willing to bet your sear has taken a dirt nap.

It very well might be your PT leaking but I would exhaust ever other avenue before sending it off. This is how you really get to know your mag :D

Backing washer is in place, and the black o-ring is there. I've got three other mags, so I'm gonna swap some parts tonight to see if it helps. I don't recall any wear on the sear or bolt lip, but I'll take another look.

If it is the power tube, what can go wrong? Out of round? Scratches?

Ando
02-23-2010, 09:43 AM
Oring inside just poop'ed the bed is all.

Co2 will def cause this but most of the time it's just oldness. Expanding/contracting over the years. It's a normal thing.

Talking dirty to it sometimes helps :rolleyes:

Bigwooly1013
02-23-2010, 03:05 PM
A leak from the on/off can sound just like a barrel leak and the air can actually vent down the barrel . Listen and find out exactly where the leak is. It could be a scratch where the on/off goes in the valve.
^^this. Just built a mag for my wife from the ground up and it had all kinds of crazy issues with the valve. mine was a classic valve but as crazy as this may sound it didn't have enough lube on the on/off pin / o-rings after i had replaced them all. I just worked the on/off back and forth while adding lube till it moved fairly free on it's own and this issue went away.

jrod
02-23-2010, 03:18 PM
^^this. Just built a mag for my wife from the ground up and it had all kinds of crazy issues with the valve. mine was a classic valve but as crazy as this may sound it didn't have enough lube on the on/off pin / o-rings after i had replaced them all. I just worked the on/off back and forth while adding lube till it moved fairly free on it's own and this issue went away.

Easy enough solution, I'll definitely give it a try.

Tunaman
02-23-2010, 03:21 PM
Send it here and I'll take care of it. ;)

jrod
02-23-2010, 07:29 PM
Well, I gave my best shot, but still won't work. I'm sending it to Tuna. I'll report back after he fixes it.

Thanks for all the advice.

fierymartel
02-23-2010, 08:00 PM
I got the same exact issues. LOL. Waiting, I'll be sending mine in this week too!