PDA

View Full Version : Steel HPA Tanks Bad?

Walking Stick
02-22-2010, 10:55 PM
Since I've hopped back into the game after a 1-3 year paintball furlough I've seen some posts/replies implying that steel HPA tanks, typically of the Pure Energy variety, are illegal/no longer condoned for paintball use. Is this true--fully or partially? What've I missed regarding these steelies? Thanks!

Frizzle Fry
02-22-2010, 11:14 PM
Steelies illegal? Not that I've heard. Every field I know of allows them...

Now, steelies with automags is a different story. They're heavy and bulky, besides which 3k tanks just don't hold enough air for a gas hogs like the Automag.

xero28
02-22-2010, 11:19 PM
I've never heard anything about that. The only issue I've ever heard of with tanks made by Global Composite Industries and with a DOT #E-12695. If your tank has this on it, then yes, you shouldn't use it. Otherwise, it should be fine. All steel tanks are 3 year hydros and will say 3HT stamped around the neck. All aluminum tanks (which is probably what the Pure Energy is, people just call the "steelies") will say 3AL. Don't be fooled by the "3" on aluminum tanks though, they are good for 5 years. Steel and aluminum tanks are basically good forever, or until they don't pass hydro. Carbon fiber wrapped tanks are only good for 15 years from their born-on dates. Hope that helps. Check out hydrotester.com too for more info. They are also a really good place to send your tanks for hydro testing.

ta2maki
02-23-2010, 12:23 AM
3HT tanks are allowed for aviation use only, but I haven't heard of any fields not allowing thier use.

Hydrotester has more info on this.

http://www.hydrotester.com/3HT.htm

xero28
02-23-2010, 12:27 AM
3HT tanks are allowed for aviation use only, but I haven't heard of any fields not allowing thier use.

Hydrotester has more info on this.

http://www.hydrotester.com/3HT.htm

Ah, didn't even see that. You learn something new every day. So, I guess to answer the original question, yes, actual steel tanks are not used in paintball. But all of the metal tanks used nowadays that people call "steelies" are, in fact, aluminum.

BiNumber3
02-23-2010, 02:46 AM
both of the steelies I had were 3HT and sold by pure energy and crossfire
they're listed as non paintball use but none of the fields/proshops i've been to seem to care, as long as it's in hydro and in good condition

as for the aluminum ones, they're pretty heavy, a 48 ci is about the same weight as a 68 ci steel tank, and ive never seen an aluminum tank larger than 48 ci (aside from wrapped tanks)

Hobbez
02-23-2010, 07:35 AM
I have 2 aluminum 3k tanks that are 62 ci and they are HEAVY. Heavy enough that Im thinking of going remote to use them. :p

Ratt
02-23-2010, 10:49 AM
3 weekends ago, I spent Saturday at one field, and Sunday at another field. Both fields rented out 'steelies'. They were pretty decent fields, i.e. they were not ghetto fields that merely used what they could afford/get their hands on. I really hated using them. I had to, though, b/c all my tanks were out of hydro. The thing about using rental tanks is that all the regs were crap. I am sure none of them were above 500-600 psi. I couldn't use my Emag b/c it was being starved of air. I had one (out of 4 mags I had that day) that would work right. The other thing about those tanks: They were beat to hell. I was even issued a tank that had a busted up gauge, and the rest of the tank looked like it had been dropped from a B-29 bomber. I would definitely try to NOT use field rental steelies. I am sure they are tough, but everything has it's limits...

Walking Stick
02-23-2010, 12:12 PM
If these aluminum "steelies" can survive rental use I think I'll be fine. Weight isn't an issue either as I mainly tote around chrome-moly 16-24oz CO2 tanks (with anti-siphons and Stabilizers).

I just wanted to get some screw-in 3000psi tanks (actually looking at Pure Energy's 72 cubic inchers) for whenever I need some air in a jiffy and don't want to play around with my 4500psi tanks and their mounting systems. I liked the overall longer life of "steelies" compared to conventional CF wrapped tanks.

Thanks for all your input and links!