PDA

View Full Version : MicroMag - Distance, accuracy ??

DimSum
02-06-2002, 09:46 AM
I just went to play yesterday with my micromag fx, and i noticed that my shots are not all going into the same place. Some a little to left or right and maybe 1 or 2 strate. And the drop on the ball was really sharp. The gun wasn't getting the distance that it should.

I checked the paint, it was new and unbroken.

I checked the pressure in the gun and it was shotting with 800 pci in to to my remote. (I have compressed air)
I was playing with 32 degree's team colors i think.

Anyone know what i can do to help me get better range and accuracy.

a_malfunction
02-06-2002, 03:41 PM
Well, as far as accuracy, you should get a high quality barrel that matches the pain you are shooting. And for Distance, you can only do one thing to get more distance.... turn up the velocity. Or buy a cocker :) j/k

soilent green
02-06-2002, 04:16 PM
mags have a poor tregectory any way but I think it was your velocity or just the barrel I believe the stock barrel on your micro is probly that wicked short one so your velocity must be very High to accelerat that ball to 280fps in that short effective length and your accuracy will be pretty bad with that barrel especialy if it is smaller then the inside diameter I suggest you try a 10-12 in. barrel if you got freinds with micros with aftermarket barrels ask to try them or people with cockers even thier stock barrel try it I'm sure you will notice a difference I'm pretty sure micros have cocker threads

CRiZO
02-06-2002, 04:41 PM
yea they take cocker threading. But also, if the barrel is the stock barrel... (armson stealth) its basically crap. I can literally drop balls thru it.

Butterfingers
02-06-2002, 05:27 PM
Wrong...

All paintguns will have the same distance and trajectory given the same velocity and angle of departure. Its basic physics.

If you want range chrono close to the limit.

Otherwise all guns at the same FPS will produce the same results.

If you like reading, this is real physics.

http://home.surewest.net/hoelkers/dyrgcmn/pballIntro.html

I basicly says what I am saying in about a few thousand more words.

If you are lazy and need more info:

http://www.paintballzone.com/sniper_math_physics.htm

Its alot shorter.

In paintball I have learned not to listen to anybody who is trying to sell me somthing. Its the most overhped overmarketed sport in the world.

There should be a sticky post about this. I hate retyping this BS.

soilent green
02-07-2002, 01:24 PM
While I must agree with you on range I find it hard to beleive that my mags trejectory is Identicle to my brothers cocker at 280fps while in the end they have to come down at about the same distence I argue that their desent is different through out I will now have to do not so scientific real world experiments to see if you are right and if you are then the same is true for accurracy the only thing that effects it is velocity which is also determined by paint and the barrel am I right or not

Army
02-07-2002, 03:25 PM
soilent green; I'll use a simple formula that is easy to understand and remember:

This+that+this=same

This=barrel
that=ball
this=speed
same=result

My formula can be used for any gun, regardless of bolt type, operating type, air tank type, barrel type, squeegee type, or what jersey you are wearing. That formula is simple physics, tried and true, proven beyond a doubt.

Water will seek equalibrium, 120mph is top speed of a falling object, toast will fall on the buttered side, are all factual physics. So is the trajectory of any object, at equal speed to another. Range is determined by speed alone, measured at the muzzle, PERIOD! (I am not counting Flatline barrels or Z bodies, which are another formula and set of physics).

Butterfingers
02-07-2002, 05:12 PM
If you ever get a chance to study physics you will understand. Range is directly related to trajectory. No iffs ands or buts at the same velocity the arc will be identical.

Want to test? Slap a block of wood on top of your mag. this will give you the aiming perspective of a cocker... voila the trajectories look the same.

This is what we call distance perception. Depending on your refernce point things going ths same range will appear to follow diffrent paths.

DimSum
02-07-2002, 06:42 PM
Totaly true what u said. if you have 2 guns that shoot at the same Rate (FPS) in a perfect situation they will shoot the same distence no matter the type of the gun, the price of the gun the type of ball parrel or bolt. BUT: ur forgetting BALL SPIN!

When you play you might notice that maybe one out of 10 shots that exit ur barrel with what looks like the exact same speed but it drops dramticly or goes farther then any other ball u shot. this is caused by ball spin. (The whole flat line idea ) runs off this consept.

To make a good paintball gun you need to have this in mind. Barrels need to be consistent. Some bore jobs that companys do are bad because they might cause the ball to spin left or right up or down. This can also be cause by ur bolt or ur reg, there are may things in your gun that can cause it to shoot with bad range! NOW thats a FACT JACK.

soilent green
02-07-2002, 07:28 PM
so I understand you can't argue with science and range is related to trejectory duh I didn't understand that the trejectory had to be a constant arc but I geuss it makes sense with gravity always applying a constant pressure so all those "experts" at the local stores I've been listening to for years are morans not so knowing "air smiths" I love this site you learn so much and you learn that all these high end guns are for nothing more than rof, reliability and braggin rights I geuss I won't buy an sfl emag

Butterfingers
02-08-2002, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by DimSum
Totaly true what u said. if you have 2 guns that shoot at the same Rate (FPS) in a perfect situation they will shoot the same distence no matter the type of the gun, the price of the gun the type of ball parrel or bolt. BUT: ur forgetting BALL SPIN!

When you play you might notice that maybe one out of 10 shots that exit ur barrel with what looks like the exact same speed but it drops dramticly or goes farther then any other ball u shot. this is caused by ball spin. (The whole flat line idea ) runs off this consept.

To make a good paintball gun you need to have this in mind. Barrels need to be consistent. Some bore jobs that companys do are bad because they might cause the ball to spin left or right up or down. This can also be cause by ur bolt or ur reg, there are may things in your gun that can cause it to shoot with bad range! NOW thats a FACT JACK.

No thats not fact jack... Thats speculation...

This is fact...

Youve been listening to too many people trying to sell you stuff. Simply the magnus effect (spin) needs to be delibrately induced and the ball spun several thousand RPM's in order to make a lick of diffence. It also has to be done in the upward vertical plane. This is why the flatline shape is so extreme.

There have been tests on this using diffrent guns the result ended up being the exact same range.

The only thing in your gun that could cause decreased range is shootdown or the regulator not being able to recharge fast enough to support the desired velocity.

In fact inconsitencies in low end non regulated guns will cause the phenomenon you are talking about. This is because the velocity fluctuates so much.

If you ever see high speed video of a ball shot through a smoothbore barrel it is pretty much stationary. In fact this video is in the begining of every automag RT video. The ball rides along the 2 widest points and exits.

The only thing that matters providing you have the same barrel is velocity. If you must relate it to the gun, velocity consistency. Not bolts, not anything else the gun can control other than velocity consistency.

DimSum
02-08-2002, 04:08 PM
What ur saying is true and im not disagreing with u. Im simply trying to push my point that ball spin is a KEY player in paintball range and accuracy. Air pressure and rechare is the most importent part but if you neglect to keep spin in mind when constructing a GOOD paintball marker u might experiance some problems.

Sorry about the bad spelling im not from america i was born in russia.

DimSum
02-08-2002, 04:18 PM
When you brake a ball in your gun, why are your shoots hooking? left right UP DOWN. its cause theres to much SPIN on the balls. if ur barrel or ur gun was inconsistent in giving the ball spin this will cause you to be in accurate.
By in accurate i mean both range and side to side .

Butterfingers
02-08-2002, 04:28 PM
You make a cogent arguement. What you say is valid.

But, it has been proven that the key factor is velocity. High speed video shows almost no spin on a ball when it leaves the barrel.

Tests show that the normal magnatude spin has very little to do with anything, except when delibrately induced to create magnus induced lift.

Consider this.

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4142&highlight=paintball+spin

Don't worry about your spelling :).