PDA

View Full Version : JB Weld Issue

Poon985
02-28-2010, 09:23 AM
I bought a used Eclipse Shocker off of ebay. I figured something cool to add to the collection. I knew it when I bought it, but one of the former owners of the gun decided to JB Weld the feedneck on it instead of a little clear super glue like what should have been done. I sanded a lot of it off, but it still looks like crap. I read on JB Welds website that the only way to get rid of it is to heat it to 600 degrease, or to sand it. I have it sanded about as far as I can get it, but I am worried the heat will damage the anodizing on the gun. I tried it a little with just a lighter and it got softer and started to bubble the feedneck. The finish on the feedneck looks like it isn't that great to begin with though. I was going to get a sodering torch and give that a try, but I don't want to distroy the finish on the gun, I would rather a little JB Weld than a ruined finish. Does anyone have any experience if the heat will damage the finish on the body if done carefully or not?

sslecyk03
02-28-2010, 11:38 AM
I bought a used Eclipse Shocker off of ebay. I figured something cool to add to the collection. I knew it when I bought it, but one of the former owners of the gun decided to JB Weld the feedneck on it instead of a little clear super glue like what should have been done. I sanded a lot of it off, but it still looks like crap. I read on JB Welds website that the only way to get rid of it is to heat it to 600 degrease, or to sand it. I have it sanded about as far as I can get it, but I am worried the heat will damage the anodizing on the gun. I tried it a little with just a lighter and it got softer and started to bubble the feedneck. The finish on the feedneck looks like it isn't that great to begin with though. I was going to get a sodering torch and give that a try, but I don't want to distroy the finish on the gun, I would rather a little JB Weld than a ruined finish. Does anyone have any experience if the heat will damage the finish on the body if done carefully or not?

Pretty sure any type of fire or torch is going to be WAY too hot for what you need to do. I know candles burn at almost 2000 degrees F and torches are much hotter than that. Considering aluminum melts at around 1200F that is a bad idea waiting to happen.

MANN
02-28-2010, 12:41 PM
boil it, and it will more than likely come off.

Poon985
02-28-2010, 01:12 PM
I will try and boil it, didn't think of that, but that is why I posted here! I am careful enough with a torch/tools to know enough not to melt the metal, and it would be hard to do so with a candle. Even though a candle burns at a high temp it is not a concentrated heat source. I will just have to find a way to boil it, maybe take all of the internals out and just hold the top of the gun in the water? I am at work all day today, one of my projects for tomorrow I guess!

MANN
02-28-2010, 02:41 PM
if it were me I would completely dissamble it, and let it sit in boiling water for a 10-20 minutes.

I have a parts washer at work, and it is ~200*f. We put transmissions/transfer cases in them to clean them before rebuilding. You can find where people have put jb weld tring to stop a leak (that usually was coming from somewhere else), and you can just pop it off with a knife or sharp object.

Poon985
03-01-2010, 09:31 AM
MANN gave me a good idea. I steamed it off with a tea pot. I left the burner on the stove on high and used the steam from the hole in the lid to steam the JB Weld off. It worked great. I held it on there for about 2 minuets and it came right off with a screwdriver with minimal damage to the body (one or two small scratches from the screwdriver). The steam didn;t get the body too hot to worry about he internals. Thanks again for everyones help and hopefully someone else might be able to use some of these tips if they find themselfs trying to fix someone elses crafty JB Weld work.

-Andrew