Garage door opener
Carpet
Stove
Insulation
Windows
Fireplace
etc

Weeeeeeeee i bought a house!!

2 bed, 2 full bath condo, about 950 sq ft, gas fireplace with a blower, central air, sweet deck. 2nd (top) floor corner unit, 1 car (and one motorcycle :headbang: ) garage in North NJ. Nice complex, apparently a good amount of younger people, pool/clubhouse/tennis courts.

Pics coming eventually.

Which brings me to the important part:

Handgun or shotgun? Bearing in mind that no matter what, the weapon will be secure when not in use - bedside weapon. Probably a quick access safe for a handgun or a trigger lock (or breech lock?) for a shotgun. I'd put the handgun safe on the floor or a nightstand by the bed (obviously secured) and I'd find some way to mount the shotgun to a bedrail or something - don't want any firearms just hanging out in the open in plain view.

Frizzle Fry
03-06-2010, 03:15 AM
Which brings me to the important part:

Handgun or shotgun? Bearing in mind that no matter what, the weapon will be secure when not in use - bedside weapon. Probably a quick access safe for a handgun or a trigger lock (or breech lock?) for a shotgun. I'd put the handgun safe on the floor or a nightstand by the bed (obviously secured) and I'd find some way to mount the shotgun to a bedrail or something - don't want any firearms just hanging out in the open in plain view.

Mossberg J.I.C. "Cruiser" - <$300

It's a pistol grip Mossy 12g in a waterproof tube... Studies have shown time and time again that the sound of a round being cycled through a pump action shotgun scares thieves more than anything else including a barking dog. There are people interviewed who say when they hear it they'll take their chances and jump through the nearest window. Plus, if you ever have to fire it you've got 12 gauge stopping power and you don't have to worry (as much***) about what's behind your target.

It's small, compact, easy to stow, powerful and loud. At $300 how could you go wrong?

***edit: Before this gets misinterpreted and I get reamed a new one, I mean you're not going put anything through your drywall and into your neighbors house/apartment.

going_home
03-06-2010, 07:17 AM
Handgun or shotgun?

Why choose between the two ?
Why not have the best of both ?

Taurus Model 44 - .45/410 revolver :
(shoots both 45 caliber and 410 shotgun shells)

http://www.gunblast.com/images/Taurus-Judge/DSC00272.jpg

;)

teufelhunden
03-06-2010, 07:57 AM
Mossberg J.I.C. "Cruiser" - <$300

It's a pistol grip Mossy 12g in a waterproof tube... Studies have shown time and time again that the sound of a round being cycled through a pump action shotgun scares thieves more than anything else including a barking dog. There are people interviewed who say when they hear it they'll take their chances and jump through the nearest window. Plus, if you ever have to fire it you've got 12 gauge stopping power and you don't have to worry (as much***) about what's behind your target.

It's small, compact, easy to stow, powerful and loud. At $300 how could you go wrong?

***edit: Before this gets misinterpreted and I get reamed a new one, I mean you're not going put anything through your drywall and into your neighbors house/apartment.

If I go shotgun, there is a Mossberg 500 somewhere with my name on it.

Here is my worry with a shotgun:

The weapon will be locked in some manner - as noted, trigger or breech (breach?). To make this effective, I will not leave the key in the lock. That presents this situation: Wake up via some unfamiliar sound, hazy, have to find key, insert key, turn key, remove locking device. Admittedly, I have not done oodles of research, but all of the locks I have seen online have a tiny little keyhole and I haven't seen anything with a non-key unlock.

On the other hand, a handgun would go into something like this: http://www.amazon.com/GunVault-GV2000STD-Multivault-Standard-Gunvault/dp/B000M7OXEU That seems to be substantially quicker to retrieve as needed, no?

If there is a decently quick shotgun solution it may be moot; to get to my bedroom, one would have to go up a flight of stairs, walk thru the lr/dr (about a 15' would I would estimate), thru a hall way (8'), and into my room. The lr/dr combo room will have valuables (TV, xbox, laptop, etc) and there are three doors (two rooms) in the hallway before getting to mine. So unless someone is making a b line for me to make me dead, I would have some time to fortify my tacticool position and be ready to :shooting: some foos! (lawl)

teufelhunden
03-06-2010, 07:58 AM
And, going_home, that thing is for perverts lol

Frizzle Fry
03-06-2010, 09:01 AM

;)

My friend has the Taurus .45/.410 Judge and it just doesn't seem like a great pistol, especially for $600+.

It's fairly inaccurate with .45s probably due to the length of the cylinder, and it's very strangely balanced too... The frame doesn't feel right with the heft and balance of the pistol. Obviously the .410 is great for home defense, but not much else. The thing won't kill a rabbit from 15 feet. It's definitely an option but I'd consider buying something more practical and less expensive.

As for the shotgun issue, there are mid-sized safes (large pistol vaults) that will fit the Cruiser, and tuck nicely under your bed. The nice thing about a small shotgun is that it's more visible (and visibly impressive) than a pistol... The "Maringer" version of the JIC Cruiser is a nice bright silver that'll be visible even in a dark room. With home defense, shooting someone is the last option; first you want to try to scare them off.

Obviously a large pistol can do the same thing, but the ker-chunk of a 12 gauge shell being chambered will always ring farther than the slide or hammer on a pistol.

bojangles1983
03-06-2010, 09:48 AM
personally, I dont have kids or anyone in my house that has no understanding of guns so I keep a shotgun hidden in the closet with no type of lock on it. I just dont keep one in the chamber. The chook-chook sound is one of the most threatening sounds in the world, so that is part of the fear when someone breaks in in my mind.

XM15
03-06-2010, 10:51 AM
Unless you have kids or have kids in your home regularly I wouldn't put a trigger lock on it or secure a firearm that I plan to use as a home defense weapon any more than I have to. Remember more than likely your going to be awoke from sleep by a sudden noise and be disoriented because of that. If you have to fumble with trigger locks or safes your loosing time and the inturder is already inside your 900 sq ft space. He or they haven't been startled awake. In my situation its just me and my wife and I keep my 9mm M&P under the bed on my side in a soft range case wiith one full mag in it and no round in the chamber. The noise of the shot gun racking a shell is scary but try menuvering one around your house once even a pistol grip cruiser is awkward. A pistol is compact, easily concealable in your home, you can keep it close to your body, it's easy to menuver it around corners and through doorways.

Frizzle Fry
03-06-2010, 11:02 AM
but try menuvering one around your house once even a pistol grip cruiser is awkward.

Really? :tard:

teufelhunden
03-06-2010, 11:50 AM
Unless you have kids or have kids in your home regularly I wouldn't put a trigger lock on it or secure a firearm that I plan to use as a home defense weapon any more than I have to.

That's the one non-negotiable point - this weapon will be secured and concealed so that I am the only one with access to it. I'm not home more than I am, so if there is a break in, it may very well be when I'm not there - not really interested in letting someone have my firearm(s) without at least defending them.

On top of that, not too interested in seeing a drunk friend holding my gun... and there will be drunk friends around. Not really going to be holding a pre-drink safety brief so... yeah. That is a problem I am just looking to avoid. bigtime.

Edit: I'd rather it be locked and neither me nor an intruder have access to it than it be unlocked and me wake up to the sound of a 12 ga round being chambered... with the barrel pointed at me.

MANN
03-06-2010, 11:58 AM
does that gun safe read your fingerprints?

Frizzle Fry
03-06-2010, 12:29 PM
does that gun safe read your fingerprints?

Nope, but its set up so it's easier enter the combination without looking at it.

LegumeOfTerror
03-07-2010, 12:13 AM

;)

.410 shot shells are completely worthless for self defense. the judge is a joke.

all this talk about the racking of the slide scaring people off is nonsense. you take your shotgun and you shoot whoever it is that is on your house, or you don't bother with it. buy a proper, full stock shotgun so you can use it effectively, and buy the correct shells for use against a human attack. #1 Buck at minimum. "cruiser" type shotguns are difficult to use and provide poor results.

Lohman446
03-07-2010, 08:40 AM
.410 shot shells are completely worthless for self defense. the judge is a joke.

all this talk about the racking of the slide scaring people off is nonsense. you take your shotgun and you shoot whoever it is that is on your house, or you don't bother with it. buy a proper, full stock shotgun so you can use it effectively, and buy the correct shells for use against a human attack. #1 Buck at minimum. "cruiser" type shotguns are difficult to use and provide poor results.

^ I hate it when people do this but "this". There is nothing more to add to that statement aside from some recommendations on shotguns (Remington or Mossberg I prefer "mariner" grade finishes myself).

Spider-TW
03-07-2010, 12:04 PM
I prefer "mariner" grade finishes myself.
That's one want I have not given in to, yet.

MoeMag
03-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Edit: I'd rather it be locked and neither me nor an intruder have access to it

If I broke into your house... I would have a gun, thats loaded, and pointed at you already.

Your Reaction is going to have to beat my Action... good luck.

... With your mindset sounds like you shouldn't get a shotgun with a trigger lock.

They are big, and load very slowly (for the most part). So that along with... waking up, finding your shotgun (oh yeah it has a trigger lock), find your keys, unlock the trigger lock, take the trigger lock off, find shotshells, load shotgun (4-8 of them one at a time in a tube mag on most shotguns), rack one in the chamber (lots of noise, so I know your armed... but more importantly exactly where you are), disengage the safety... okay now your ready for something... and hope I didnt bring my AR and starts shooting thru walls and windows, cause if Im breaking into your house im probably pretty desperate, maybe even a little crazy. Oh and I could be one of your drunk buddies friends that knows your house really well and that you have a shotgun, so thats why I came with the semi auto rifle.

Pistol is probably what you are looking for. If you get a pistol... think about keeping it with you. look into concealed carry for your state.
http://www.gunvault.com/mini-mini-deluxe.html prob your best bet if you insist on being secure.

Smoothice
03-07-2010, 03:16 PM
Hmmm. I don't have either. But if I was that worried about a break in then which ever I chose would be unlocked and easy to grab while I'm sleeping. When I'm awake or not home THEN it would have a lock or be in a safe.

teufelhunden
03-07-2010, 03:44 PM
look into concealed carry for your state.
http://www.gunvault.com/mini-mini-deluxe.html prob your best bet if you insist on being secure.

lol, I'm in NJ - couldn't carry even if al qaida stated they are coming after me specifically in a manner that i could easily prevent by having a pistol on me.

I was looking at the gun vault line. Like them.

Thanks for the suggestions all :)

Chris
03-07-2010, 03:47 PM
A weapon for home defense should be in a safe place, and ready to go. If you are going to put a trigger lock on the shotgun; dont bother with it. You're better off keeping a louisville slugger at your bedside. At least that way you'll have something to defend yourself with.

If you are honestly looking at a firearm for home defense, you can not beat a shotgun. I have to agree with Legume above, the cruiser shotguns are worthless. Get a real shotgun with a stock. While it is true that the sound of a shotgun being racked will scare off MOST people, if your intruder is high or armed, you will likely need to call the morgue when all is said and done.

Chris
03-07-2010, 03:51 PM
If you are going the pistol route, I would suggest a Glock. I've got a Glock 17 in 9mm, and while I prefer my 1911, I know that the Glock is more reliable than the average rock.

Make sure that you keep your home defense magazine loaded with hollow points.

kumijia
03-07-2010, 10:46 PM
Bed rail problem solved

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsV50T5uEyw

sjrtk
03-07-2010, 11:13 PM
My opinion, 12 ga. shot gun for home protection and seeing as you live in a condo use bird shot. Shot gun wounds at close range are devastating regardless of what size shot you are using and the bird shot looses energy quickly so at not to pass through walls. any pistol most would consider will punch clean 9mm to 1/2 in holes through double layer drywall and still have lethal energy as will the larger shot sizes. If you intend on locking the fire arm and leave the key out buy a bat. The gun needs to be ready to go in a NOW time frame, store it in a safe when you are out and were you can reach it when you are home.

Just my opinion, i have a 12ga. Mossberg with a 20" barrel loaded with #7 bird shot in the tube and an empty chamber. I just won't have a longer shot to deal with in the house. If you have to shot an intruder make sure you kill him of your gonna get your self sued.

SCpoloRicker
03-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by

^ I hate it when people do this but "this". There is nothing more to add to that statement aside from some recommendations on shotguns (Remington or Mossberg I prefer "mariner" grade finishes myself).

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/2986/lolwutverbose.jpg

Kidding, all good points.

chafnerjr
03-08-2010, 03:05 PM
Ahhh... I can't believe that I'm going to be the one saying this... er... given your "tactical" situation you're simply not going to have the time in a 900ish sq ft house to unlock much of anything. If you can't keep a ready loaded weapon your best defence is... um, a taser :eek: Seriously... I don't own one and wouldn't because I have handguns, rifles, shotguns, blackpowder etc.... but if you need drunk proof/fun weapons then a taser is your weapon of choice...

OK now everyone can commence flaming me. :p

However, would it be me... I'd have the shotgun (unlocked) in an easy to reach place with a simple hiding spot for a handful of shells. IMHO.