PDA

View Full Version : Lvl 10 identification

leloup
03-07-2010, 01:16 PM
I just picked up a classic mag yesterday from craigslist. I usually check them over, see what on-off is in it, but this one had a bolt that I am not familiar with. It looks like it needs a foamie (never seen one in real life, only head of them) on the bolt tip. My first thoughts were, oh great a lvl 7 foamy (all my previous were foamy less). Then I pulled off the bolt to see a hex head on the powertube. Is this lvl 10? I noticed one metel ring inside, I assume it is a shim. So, how does one go about gettting more shims to tune it, and how do I find a foamy for it?

Ando
03-07-2010, 01:31 PM
Is there a ss tube sticking out on the bottom side of your bolt? That's a lvl 10.

Tunaman
03-07-2010, 01:33 PM
I just picked up a classic mag yesterday from craigslist. I usually check them over, see what on-off is in it, but this one had a bolt that I am not familiar with. It looks like it needs a foamie (never seen one in real life, only head of them) on the bolt tip. My first thoughts were, oh great a lvl 7 foamy (all my previous were foamy less). Then I pulled off the bolt to see a hex head on the powertube. Is this lvl 10? I noticed one metel ring inside, I assume it is a shim. So, how does one go about gettting more shims to tune it, and how do I find a foamy for it?
Looks like you have the L10. Do you have the rest of the carriers? Which carrier is in the gun now?

flyingpootang
03-07-2010, 02:16 PM
You can get all your parts from Tunaman

leloup
03-14-2010, 05:03 PM
Looks like you have the L10. Do you have the rest of the carriers? Which carrier is in the gun now?

Tuna, I have no idea what carrier I have on it, and I don't know where to look. I would have assumed it was on the side, like a lvl 7. There is only one shim in it though.

Tunaman
03-14-2010, 05:06 PM
On the side of the carrier...there are dots and lines...get it out by screwing the field strip screw into the carrier and pull. Let me know.

leloup
03-15-2010, 12:58 PM
The carrier I have has one groove. I just got an x-valve also in a trade, and of course, it did not include anything extra, though it has a carrier with no grooves. (and just one shim)

Edit: neither came with extra springs, does that matter much either?

athomas
03-15-2010, 01:42 PM
Springs help tune the amount of force the bolt hits the ball in the breach with. Most people find that the red spring (sometimes its a cut grey spring) is the best all round spring to use. The longest one won't work in all setups depending on barrel configuration. The longest grey spring requires a high chamber pressure to work properly so a lot of setups can't use it due to the higher pressure causing a velocity that is too high.

If you have a red spring or a gold one, you will be fine but you should get a spare. They are a consumable item and will wear out.

You should have an assortment of carrier sizes. That is how you tune your level 10 setup. Even if it works now, if you change the carrier oring, it may not work. The carriers have different size inner diameters which alters the inner size of the carrier oring that it contains. Unless you have an assortment, you will not know which one you will need for your gun in the event you need to make a repair/adjustment.

leloup
03-16-2010, 02:22 PM
I only have grey springs for both. The guy I got the x valve from "assured" me it was tuned...however, he said it had ult, but it doesn't. Soon as I go play next (hopefully spring break) I will be able to test it all out.

athomas
03-16-2010, 03:19 PM
Do the grey springs have the coils cut on one end? If so, then they are the same as the red springs. Before the red springs were available, we used grey springs with a coil cut off them. We made minor adjustments by cutting more of the coil off. If you have full length grey springs and the gun won't start firing until the velocity is above the field limit, then you can cut a coil off one end. You keep cutting a bit off at a time until you can adjust the gun down to reach the operating velocity range that you want.

If you use the cut springs, make sure that only one end is cut and that the finished flat end is facing the bolt.

leloup
03-18-2010, 02:34 PM
nope, no sniping off either end.

athomas
03-18-2010, 03:06 PM
Sounds like the longest grey spring. You can cut the coil from one end if it requires a velocity setting that is too high. Try it full length first.

You should get an oring up kit for the valve and a few level 10 carriers. Pick up a couple of red bolt springs at that time. Every mag owner should have spare orings on hand, and the ability to tune the level 10 bolt. Without the proper tuning of the bolt, the mag will not function properly.