PDA

View Full Version : Annodizing a barrel back

p8ntballin007
03-22-2010, 02:47 PM
After a quick search I've come up empty handed on this, so I figured I would throw the question out there.

Will annodizing a barrel back (such as a smart parts All-American) mess up the interior bore and finish? I know it can be done, but is there an extra charge, or will the annodizer automatically polish it out and return it to the stock finish for me? I don't want to get a barrel with a dust outside that also has a dust inside.

I'm working on a project Emag and want to make sure that whatever barrel I decide to go with can match the final anno correctly. If I can't anno the back I would like to go with a boomstick back, but if I can I would like to stay with the AA, because I've had good luck with them.

Thanks
Rob

StygShore
03-22-2010, 02:52 PM
If you ASK the anodizer to mask off the inside of the barrel for you Im sure they can preserve the bore. From what I have been told, most will not mask the inside, and although it wouldn't be a "dust" finish to the inside of the barrel, it will by no means be a mirror polish.

If you are using an AA with Freak inserts, no big deal really

Styg

Frizzle Fry
03-22-2010, 03:01 PM
If you *** the anodizer
Don't do anything to the anodizer that I wouldn't do!

Seriously though, don't worry about it. Ask him to mask, but even then if the interior isn't blasted it won't be any more "matte", "dust" or "satin" than it is now.

StygShore
03-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Don't do anything to the anodizer that I wouldn't do!

Seriously though, don't worry about it. Ask him to mask, but even then if the interior isn't blasted it won't be any more "matte", "dust" or "satin" than it is now.

good catch - fixed...

I know the barrel I had done had kind of a pooling liquid look on the inside and was not smooth to the touch.... but my anodizer did a lousy job... so I cant go off my experience.

OPBN
03-22-2010, 03:32 PM
I was told that backs can be done without any harm as they can be corked. Fronts on the other hand, cannot be done without changing the bore due to the venting holes.

LTHG
03-22-2010, 04:15 PM
This is our standard procedure for all 2 piece barrels that we anodize.

smeek
03-23-2010, 05:05 AM

If they don't mask the inside prior to stripping, it will affect the interior finish making it more rough than the typical mirror finish you have on good quality barrels. It won't be a bead blasted surface roughness like a dust finish but it won't be as polished as it was stock either. Stripping can also affect the bore size if left in too long.

p8ntballin007
03-23-2010, 07:18 AM
Thanks everyone.
So as long as I make sure to tell them to mask it off prior to stripping, I should be fine.

LTHG- what anno company do you work with, or is it just a side thing you do?