PDA

View Full Version : Elbows, ugh!

theGOLDENchild
03-26-2010, 08:38 AM
I wish the standard nickel-plated airline elbow for paintball had just a couple/few more threads on it. Not being able to use a standard quick disconnect seems like a semi-serious design oversight. Here's a pic of the elbow I'm talking about.

http://images.actionvillage.com/inc/images/large/039-0020.jpg?qlt=100&cell=244,300&cvt=jpg

Is this kind any better?

http://images.hustlepaintball.com/eBay/BlackthorneProductPictures/32470230-1.jpg

I may just have to go to macro line if I don't get something worked out.

reckid1986
03-26-2010, 08:46 AM
i just wrapped mine with a lot of thread tape and only screwed it in just far enough so the qd would clear the body,

shives007
03-26-2010, 01:13 PM
Pull out the Dremel and flatten one side of the QD. That should buy you a little space.

Shives

athomas
03-26-2010, 02:11 PM
That one pictured is not built for paintball. We just use it for that. It is meant for tight 90 degree bends but not a bulky quick disconnect. You can buy ones that are a bit longer on the threaded side. They will give you the clearance you need.

theGOLDENchild
03-26-2010, 02:59 PM
That one pictured is not built for paintball. We just use it for that. It is meant for tight 90 degree bends but not a bulky quick disconnect. You can buy ones that are a bit longer on the threaded side. They will give you the clearance you need.

Have a link by any chance?

robertsr1811
03-26-2010, 03:57 PM
Go to your local hardware store. You're looking for a 1/8th NPT elbow. Cost you about half as much as the same thing at a paintball shop, and is far more likely to have longer threads. It's rated for the same pressures too, so no sweat there. You might have to be happy with straight brass instead of nickle plate, but you're sure to have enough threads.

Sumthinwicked
03-26-2010, 04:26 PM
:rolleyes: dude ty for that info

athomas
03-26-2010, 04:41 PM
Have a link by any chance?No link, but they are general purpose high pressure fittings. Just make sure that they aren't cheap aluminum ones that can't handle the pressure that will be used. Steel or brass ones are usually good. They can usually be purchased at a hydraulic shop/store.

Chrome
03-26-2010, 06:38 PM
If that (the bottom pic) is the same thing you can get from action village, it is what I use at the QD on my valve - no clearance problem.

punkncat
03-26-2010, 09:21 PM
Or, just put the QD on the other end of the hose.....

Watcher
03-26-2010, 09:22 PM
Try to find a male/female coupler to extend the fitting out a little more for extra room.

I ended up going to the hardware store and finding a male/male coupler and mated it to a female/female 90 elbow, then ran the QD off of that and I've had no problems since. That was a few months ago and I've played with my mag tons of times and I've even fed it over 2K of air.

theGOLDENchild
03-26-2010, 09:50 PM
If that (the bottom pic) is the same thing you can get from action village, it is what I use at the QD on my valve - no clearance problem.

That is the part I order from Action Village. What I received was a the top elbow in a bag with the bottom elbow part number on it. They claimed I received the correct part and that their website pic must not have been updated. I sent back both incorrect elbows (ordered two). Maybe I'll buy some off ebay.