PDA

View Full Version : Back after too long! A M98Punk Novel

M98Punk
03-29-2010, 08:28 PM
So I finally gassed up and went game on Saturday after over 4 years without playing. That pesky grad school ruins everything. For the most part I had almost given up on playing, all the people I use to play with stopped playing and the good fields around went under or pvt parties only (I live in the Rochester, NY area so for awhile all that I knew of that was still live was NVP which isn't a place where I want to spend my hard earned green).
But a few weeks back some of the students at one of the school I sub at came in with the all telling paintball pocks and I found out about the Jello Factory in LeRoy (which I should have know about years ago according to my brother). Later I was telling my little cousin (she's in middle school) was talking about how she wants to play. And after I heard about the mischief that she was getting into I figured she could use a hobby/ mostly healthy addiction. So I came up with a excuse to justify driving the hour out of the way to my parents house, hiked up to the attic and pulled down the paintball gear. Three 50 gallon tubs on 200 gallon tub and a how the heck with all this fit in a Yaris moment I was on my way home for some serious week long tech-fest. Along the way I invited my wife to play, had to postpone paintball for a week (my Wife's uncle died a few hours before we were suppose to play) we were on our way to the Jello Factory Paintball. On the car trip over the two girls managed to psych each other out and severely annoy me. I think what finally made them not want to play was seeing someone wearing a do-rag *shrug*. Thinking they would get over the jitters (and because I wanted to play) I purchased three admonitions and one case of paint. When the marco-line blew out as my old bushmaster was getting filled I was informed that neither girl was playing. I thought that they would change their minds so I plugged on. As I was trying unsuccessfully to get my wifes sear tripper Piranha and the M98 that my cousin was going to use to chrono up I was losing hope. One was too hot the other was too low (then spiking from 180 to 305 on HPA). Finally I gave up on those two and tried my MicroMag, three shots over the chrony 280, 281, 280. A twist of the allen wrench and we were at 236, 238,238. I put on my back (which use to fit perfect but four years later it was QUITE snug, and put on a Apache loader (the springs on my q-pods were SOL after sitting for so long.
Finally loaded up I had 10 seconds before the first game started, I went out to find a giant course I knew nothing about, first game I make a run on the break late (couldn't hear the call) hopper shot 15 seconds into the game. After some less then school appropriate language I was cleaning my gun and wanting to either go back or make a giant paper weight. In between game one and two I snuck out on the field and walked around a bit, I found the course was set up in three main corridors, far side opening into a open range called big ball (where all the action goes down). the center corridor that offers all the angles but leaves you looking front, left, right and later on back as side is open if you get unlucky. And the near side which to be honest I never went into.
At the start of the second game I found out that I started out on the weak side and was now playing strong side. I also found a more experienced player of the Army era who was there with his 4 sons (the refs split the 5 up to even the field). Now that I had the lay of the land and a buddy I wanted to throw some paint. I sprinted over to Big ball and then got reminded to keep my head down.

Four games later I remembered little things like proper stance, snap shooting and I found my spot in the back dorito of Big Ball (which is really a giant snake with a few standing bunkers. on the near side and back. I got in the habit of laying down a lane at the start of the game then as my side moved up I would wait and light up the lane when the campers in the back field started moving up because they thought it was safe.

Two hours into it and the night was going great I was working really well with one of the sons of the guy I met in the first few games, he would play front while I laided it down and called them out. He even showed me how not to die when on the weak side, and we made a push in one game that gave our team the first weak side win (and me an impressive 4 eliminations in as many seconds). And the refs showed the girls a viewing area in the middle of the field where they got to watch as I actually got me some. At this point the games were floating from 10v10 to 20v20 or so.

At the end of the night I played some top gun with the loud mouth hangers on of the group of guys I was playing with. He was really a good kid just young. The first game I won but had a hit on my pad (which I still think was old [it was LATE in the day]) But the second game I out smarted him as he was running to a bunker I waited in the back field then lit up his bunker (he went to the X at the fifty which is a big bunker with lots of blind spots. He snapped up to shoot at me but I had sprinted strait across the field to the far side mirror of where he thought I was then hooked around to get him in the back he started running to my back field. I dropped to one knee and aimed where I knew he was going heard the lovely sound of paint on someone elses mask and saw his hand stick up behind the bunker and that was that.

I played one game after that and ended up racking up 7 kills which ended my night on a very high note.

I just want to end this by saying I have nothing but good things to say about the Jello factory. They were professional, did a great job reffing, were very friendly and even refunded the two entry fees for my wife and cousin when I told them that they didn't play at all. Now to break out the q-tips for cleaning the mag and the parts kits for the other guns. Cause when the land dries its time for woods-ball at the Ventura Plantation 15 acres of mayhem (and the girls will finally play for the first time)

68calsportz
03-30-2010, 07:56 AM
Glad you could make it back...i really enjoy reading stories like these. Eventhough these stories are always the same... ten different guns in the gear bag,and guess what? The automag is the only one that works :headbang: That is awesome. Oh im glad you had fun too.

later

M98Punk
03-30-2010, 12:52 PM
I had tons of fun though I have to say I forgot to mention that at the end of the night I was having to do a few valve whacks in the middle of games because it was leaking out of the rear adjuster.....

athomas
03-31-2010, 04:12 PM
Good read on the story.

If the velocity wasn't spiking, then it probably just needs the back section of the regulator cleaned (may have gotten some dirt it it), or the regulator piston assembly oring replaced.

M98Punk
03-31-2010, 05:46 PM
Yeah I really should break it down and clean it.... The valve hasn't had dick done to it it almost a decade..... Speaking of which I need to find me two more micromags so I don't have to mess with guns.... unless it's to make them faster or prettier