PDA

View Full Version : I think I bought a non adjustable max flow??!! Very mad

Ms54Coupe
04-05-2010, 07:08 PM
So I have been shopping for a max flow adjustable regulator so that I will be able to get 1200 to 1300 psi to my emag valve. I found a 68/4500 with a micro max flow regulator so I bought it on Ebay. Now I am finally reading the manual and I think its a pre set regulator no better than my current thread in regulator!

I am reading the service paper and it describes the valve as a smart parts max flow micro.

Am I an idiot and bought a non adjustable regulator?

: (

Ando
04-05-2010, 07:51 PM
Am I an idiot and bought a non adjustable regulator?

: (
I'm afraid so. micro regs are none adj.

Ms54Coupe
04-06-2010, 06:51 AM
Wow I suck! I guess there will be MINT tank for sale on here with a mint micro max flow reg if anyone wants it

BANG HEAD BANG HEAD

Konigballer
04-06-2010, 07:33 AM
You fool! :p

Ms54Coupe
04-06-2010, 07:43 AM
hundred dollar rookie mistake

Spider-TW
04-06-2010, 10:28 AM
They are confusing, considering they have nothing in common.

When you find a non-micro, be aware that the older max-flo's came in high and low pressure output versions. I don't know why you would really want a low pressure adjustable, but they are out there.

Ms54Coupe
04-06-2010, 12:09 PM
maybe for you but for someone without much knowledge of regulators they have a few similarities...

both smart parts
both max flows
both regulators
both have on/off's
both use macro lines
both have pressure gauges
both use quick disconnect fittings to refill
both are rail mounts

I guess the only thing they do not share is that 1 is adjustable and 1 is not

bojangles1983
04-06-2010, 01:20 PM
It would be great though if SP made an adjustable reg the size of the micro. Sadly you can only do 450 or 800 psi. No high pressure spring that I know of, and it probably isnt something you would want to tinker with to try and make one. 1000psi + bad parts = BOOM :eek:

Ms54Coupe
04-06-2010, 02:02 PM
It would be great though if SP made an adjustable reg the size of the micro. Sadly you can only do 450 or 800 psi. No high pressure spring that I know of, and it probably isnt something you would want to tinker with to try and make one. 1000psi + bad parts = BOOM :eek:

Agreed...the size is certainly ideal!

Spider-TW
04-06-2010, 03:16 PM
maybe for you but for someone without much knowledge of regulators they have a few similarities...

both smart parts
both max flows
both regulators
both have on/off's
both use macro lines
both have pressure gauges
both use quick disconnect fittings to refill
both are rail mounts

I guess the only thing they do not share is that 1 is adjustable and 1 is not
:) True. Sorry, I just meant internally and sales-wise. The selling points (iirc) that SP used were not related. The micro was the air-traveling regulator that you could remove easily from the bottle. It is a fairly standard regulator design, compared to the old max-flo balanced poppet design.

I never understood why they called the micro a max-flo.

Ms54Coupe
04-06-2010, 07:59 PM
:) True. Sorry, I just meant internally and sales-wise. The selling points (iirc) that SP used were not related. The micro was the air-traveling regulator that you could remove easily from the bottle. It is a fairly standard regulator design, compared to the old max-flo balanced poppet design.

I never understood why they called the micro a max-flo.

Ill tell you what...I wish the micro was adjustable because it is a very nice regulator IMO :dance:

Spider-TW
04-07-2010, 10:36 AM
Ill tell you what...I wish the micro was adjustable because it is a very nice regulator IMO :dance:
Here's the tech page. (http://www.zdspb.com/tech/mguide/regs/main_micro.html)

Makes you wonder if it could be shimmed.

Ms54Coupe
04-07-2010, 12:05 PM
I work at a company that makes the disc spring "belleville washers" that are used in these valves.

Wonder if changing the spring stack would effect output pressure

:shooting: :shooting: :shooting:

Spider-TW
04-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Just as a reference, the 150 psi shims in a ninja reg (with a longer coil spring) are only about 0.020" thick.

The guys at ninja said it is possible to over shim the pressure (somewhere over 900 psi), causing it to lock up and over pressure. I failed to ask if it is a repeatable operation, so that if it doesn't fail at 950 psi, it should continue to work reliably at that pressure. I'm tinkering with a 3k ninja bottle on a mag, so I would mainly have to watch the fittings.