PDA

View Full Version : What I hate about using my mag at my local field..

Konigballer
04-12-2010, 07:40 AM
Played all day yesterday with my old work crew and had a blast with my Retro Valved Minimag. The thing shot darts all day and scored me several headshots, inlcuding my old boss as he sprinted up the middle of the hyperball field! I winged his his shoulder as I was leading him, which made him turn to look at who was shooting at him mid-sprint. Then he caught one in the grill. :cool:

However, my field NEVER fills above 2500psi for some reason, and I run this baby at 850-900psi.. So being the gas-hog that it is, I was making frequent trips to the fill station, which unfortunately is not self service. I also ran out of air on the field twice, one time I tried the old school method of actually throwing paintballs at my opponent until he put two in my chest. I kept telling these young refs that this thing was high-pressure, and not an electro, but I don't think they understood. It was kind of like, "Oh, thanks for my 2000psi fill, see you in 10 minutes..." Thats the lamest thing about using my mag there, that and no-body knows what the hell it is. :ninja:

Konigballer
04-12-2010, 07:42 AM
Actually, move this! I have no idea why I put this in the tech forum! :p

Loneassassin
04-12-2010, 07:58 AM
I kind of have the same problem in that I play a lot of woodsball and have to rely on my Scuba for fills. Problem is, the local dive shop almost never fills to 3000psi, only around 2500. So I only get about 2-3 good fills before I'm working off 2000psi.

I haven't run out of air yet with my Mag though, but I've only played woodsball with it so far. I was using Marbalizer paint though, which went EXACTLY where I wanted it, lol.

If push comes to shove I've got my E-cocker which gets 2000 shots on a 68/4500. :cheers:

BigEvil
04-12-2010, 08:44 AM
2000psi fills ? Might as well be filling off of scuba tanks, You sound like a prime candidate for one of TK's new compressors.

paint magnet
04-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Doesn't the new compressor take several hours to fill a tank? I mean, it would be good for the first initial fill but I think I'd rather have a few scuba tanks for $400. That way you can at least get some quick, consistent 2800 psi fills.

Frizzle Fry
04-12-2010, 10:39 AM
That's why I hate my 950psi output Ninja... Most people don't fill to 4500, more like 4000. Every time you take it off one marker and put it on another (provided they don't have a "pin" on off) you lose a good portion of your air anyway. It's only worth it at the field where there's plenty of air available and you can just leave in on your marker all day.

Loneassassin
04-12-2010, 10:49 AM
2000psi fills ? Might as well be filling off of scuba tanks, You sound like a prime candidate for one of TK's new compressors.

Not to derail the thread, but do those work for filling a scuba? How much $$$ we talking? Might have to get one.

om3n
04-12-2010, 10:49 AM
Doesn't the new compressor take several hours to fill a tank? I mean, it would be good for the first initial fill but I think I'd rather have a few scuba tanks for $400. That way you can at least get some quick, consistent 2800 psi fills.

My plan is to get a few scuba tanks and a TK compressor (which should totally be the name of it) and then just fill those tanks before I go play, and then have them available to me when I need them. I'm gonna put my TK compressor to work

chafnerjr
04-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Check with your local fire department to see if they can fill 4500. If they can fill SCBA's (their breathing gear for fighting fires) they can fill your tank! One tank might not get you that far, but it will do the trick. :cheers:

vf-xx
04-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Yes, I have that same problem, Running at 900 PSI, on a field with only 3k fills.

Just recently though I penued my mag and now it works just fine at 750 input... It's amazing how much that helps.

BenoitOWN
04-12-2010, 02:54 PM
I bought a 90/4500tank ... shoud last a while ... even at 4k fill

Frizzle Fry
04-12-2010, 03:14 PM
I bought a 90/4500tank ... shoud last a while ... even at 4k fill

88ci is big enough (that's why you don't see them so much), but that doesn't solve the problem.

om3n
04-12-2010, 03:24 PM
88ci is big enough (that's why you don't see them so much), but that doesn't solve the problem.

yeah, I use 90ci as well- do either of you guys have to use a drop with your tank?

vf-xx
04-12-2010, 03:33 PM
yeah, I use 90ci as well- do either of you guys have to use a drop with your tank?

114 Geddon On marker.

Use a NDZ Dropkick and that works very nicely.

Sweet Tooth
04-12-2010, 04:04 PM
110/45 on my back. I usually tell the guys filling my tank that I'm playing pump.

paint magnet
04-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Not to derail the thread, but do those work for filling a scuba? How much $$$ we talking? Might have to get one. Scuba tanks can usually be found used for $100 or so; that varies, of course, depending on size, material, and condition. You may be able to find one for cheap that passes hydro inspection but is not up to SCUBA specs (still safe to fill, you just wouldn't want to breathe the air out of it).

Aslan
04-12-2010, 04:33 PM
I have the same problem. I played 2 weekends ago and I have the same set-up, Minimag with Retro Valve. The guy there could only fill my 3000psi tank to 2000. It would last me 1-2 games before being empty. I went through 4 fills and ran out of air twice on the field while playing.

That's why I am now actively in the market for a 68/4500 with a max flo. That 3000psi just ain't gonna cut it. And I'm gonna need to go to a field where I can get a full 4500 fill for a change rather than 2000-2200.

M98Punk
04-12-2010, 04:35 PM
I remember back when I was still shooting my M98 as my main and my bro was shooting a mag that he use to have this problem... He ended up buying an 88ci nitroduck..... Luckily the field by me fills up to 4500 and I mean like 4350-4490 so I'm pretty good

Frizzle Fry
04-12-2010, 05:47 PM
114 Geddon On marker.

Use a NDZ Dropkick and that works very nicely.

:eek:

Is that in any way like playing with a frozen baby seal resting on your shoulder? That's just what I'm picturing.

I too use a Dropkick from time to time... Love it with markers with no foregrip, and markers with warpfeeds.

Konigballer
04-12-2010, 06:03 PM
Check with your local fire department to see if they can fill 4500. If they can fill SCBA's (their breathing gear for fighting fires) they can fill your tank! One tank might not get you that far, but it will do the trick. :cheers:

Thats a great idea! I've never thought of that and there's a fire department just down the road.

M98Punk
04-12-2010, 06:13 PM
Sometimes you may need to come baring gifts for local Fire departments to be kind and generous. Which usually means food or booze :-P

GoatBoy
04-12-2010, 07:25 PM
https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/FX%20Super%20Stroke%20Pump.html

Not good for filling a whole tank, but might be useful for topping off crappy fills.

Frizzle Fry
04-12-2010, 07:26 PM
https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/FX%20Super%20Stroke%20Pump.html

Not good for filling a whole tank, but might be useful for topping off crappy fills.

Don't go down this road. That thing is NOT an option.

GoatBoy
04-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Don't go down this road. That thing is NOT an option.

Oh really? Have you tried one out? I've always been curious about them.

paint magnet
04-12-2010, 09:55 PM

I think what he means is that you'll be too tired from pumping the thing to actually play paintball! The airgun pumps are designed to supply air to pellet guns, which have much lower volume than, say, a 68 ci paintball tank.

Personally, I have never used one of the hand pumps, or gadgets of the type Mr. Kaye is designing. I have no doubt that Tom's product is top notch though, and if IT takes several hours to fill a tank with the aid of a primary compressor, I don't want to know how long a hand pump takes :(

Plus, the hand pump costs nearly $300! For that, you can buy 5 cheap HPA tanks, and get them filled in advance, and play to your heart's content!

Frizzle Fry
04-12-2010, 10:04 PM

Me and a few others. About 5-6 years ago these started popping up on the forums and a few people bought them to test... I bought one to fill my T4 bullpup (a PCP airgun) figuring I could test it for paintball use. It takes FOREVER to fill even a 45/45, and it's got some issues with moisture. Overall it's not safe or usable, and it wouldn't be cost effective anyway.

GoatBoy
04-13-2010, 03:38 AM
Plus, the hand pump costs nearly $300! For that, you can buy 5 cheap HPA tanks, and get them filled in advance, and play to your heart's content!

Well, the point was that it was difficult to get 1 good fill; what good is it to have 5 bottles filled up to 2000psi? I'm talking about topping off a crappy fill, not filling completely from scratch, which would probably take forever.

Me and a few others. About 5-6 years ago these started popping up on the forums and a few people bought them to test... I bought one to fill my T4 bullpup (a PCP airgun) figuring I could test it for paintball use. It takes FOREVER to fill even a 45/45, and it's got some issues with moisture. Overall it's not safe or usable, and it wouldn't be cost effective anyway.

Interesting. That's ironic that they don't even work well for the intended audience. I had concerns about moisture as well.

Did you try a 3 or 4 stage pump? In 4-stage mode, that pump apparently pushes 200cc of air per full stroke? I guess I could sit down and calculate how many pumps it would take to move, say, a 45ci tank from 2000psi to 3000psi...

Oh Hell now that I'm thinking about it... Comes out to about 250 strokes @ 4 stage, 165 @ 3 stage.

OK probably not the best idea then. Makes TK's gizmo look better, although the moisture/filtering thing still concerns me.

Ms54Coupe
04-13-2010, 11:14 AM
That's why I am now actively in the market for a 68/4500 with a max flo. That 3000psi just ain't gonna cut it. And I'm gonna need to go to a field where I can get a full 4500 fill for a change rather than 2000-2200.

PM me if your interested I have a 68/4500 tank and a max flow micro on/off rail mount reg (thing is in MINT condition).

I bought a max flow adjustable reg so I am selling my micro reg but the thing is in very very good condition.

:cheers: