PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions on leak????

blakeer9
04-12-2010, 04:46 PM
Hello everyone

I just recieved a clasic automag I purchase on McarterBrown and I have a small leak coming from the regulator where the two halves screw together. I have replaced the regulator body o-ring and still have no luck? anyone else have the problem and have any potential fixes???

Thanks in advance!!

Blake

xero28
04-12-2010, 05:03 PM
Hello everyone

I just recieved a clasic automag I purchase on McarterBrown and I have a small leak coming from the regulator where the two halves screw together. I have replaced the regulator body o-ring and still have no luck? anyone else have the problem and have any potential fixes???

Thanks in advance!!

Blake

Is it for sure coming from between the two halves? It might be coming from the on/off or even the power tube. You can put the gun under water and see where it bubbles to pinpoint the leak. If it is from between the valve halves and you've already replaced the big o-ring there, then I'm not sure.

blakeer9
04-12-2010, 06:32 PM
It is 100% coming from the valve halves I can put my lips on it and feel the leak even when I put it under water the leak is only from the halves.

This sucks!!!

fhawkeye
04-12-2010, 07:18 PM
If your positive it's coming from where it twists apart and you replaced that o-ring. Take it back apart and inspect it for physical damage to the threads, perhaps a ding or chip in the metal around the o-ring.

Perhaps a splinter of metal or something is damaging the o-ring on the way back in?

Maybe you replaced it with a bad (most likely old) o-ring?

If you dont see anything, then with the valve halves still apart, drop 20+ drops of oil in there and when you gas it up you should see precisely on that valve where the oil pools up externally.

edit: also just noticed something interesting, that o-ring is a lot thicker on the classic style valves than on the newer ones, are you sure you pulled the o-ring from the right kit? :eek:

Jacobd
04-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Make sure the oring is from an AGD brand kit and that it's not too old, you can tell this by the color usally, it should be kinda pearly white not yellowed or brown.

Frizzle Fry
04-12-2010, 10:55 PM
Reg seat?

Ando
04-12-2010, 11:44 PM
Changing the packing between the 2 halves should work. Make sure the oring is coming out of a AGD kit. Someone here had this problem like a month ago and the kit was the issue. If I remember correctly it was an AGD kit. If you just purchased the kit you might want to give them a call and see what's up.

EDIT:
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=249014&highlight=leak+halves

blakeer9
04-13-2010, 07:40 AM
Hey thanks for the help but I am still having all the leaking although it has slowed a bit it still does leak. the oring comes from the agd kit and is new and the old o-ring has partialy disintigrated, I have contacted the member in the other post to see what his finnal findings were. I will let you know what happens I am presently soaking the new o-ring in the hopes that it fixes it.

Blake

Ando
04-13-2010, 08:29 AM
Talk with AGD. Your not the only one who's had problems with their kits.

Ravenneon
04-13-2010, 11:11 PM
My final answer was using the original oring...the new one still did not help. I did not contact AGD although I believe I will. I forgot to try to get a hold of them since something came up that week and it completely slipped my mind. I have not tried the new oring again. To be honest I'm afraid to since I have it working perfectly right now with the old oring and dont want to risk screwing that up again. I had the old oring stewing in the oil right along side the new one. This, still to this day, boggles my mind. You could see a slight difference in size and when I tested the fitment there was a difference there too. I made sure it was the right oring and to be honest its hard to confuse that one with the barrel oring. If I have sometime on my lunch tomorrow I think I will call and tell them about my issue. I would actually encourage you to do the same blakeer. Maybe the more people they hear from the more likely they'll check their inventory.

Ando
04-14-2010, 07:03 AM
If you can get your hands on some DOW 55. It works a lot better at swelling packings.

BigEvil
04-14-2010, 07:09 AM
There can be a lot of variation in the actual size of orings.. You can also try to put some white tape underneath that one to see if it helps.

blakeer9
04-16-2010, 07:36 AM
Got it fixed the entire thing seals finally!!!!! tested it today works like a dream!!!! MTHANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THE HELP!!!!!!!

athomas
04-16-2010, 12:23 PM
Got it fixed the entire thing seals finally!!!!! tested it today works like a dream!!!! MTHANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THE HELP!!!!!!!What was the fix?

blakeer9
04-16-2010, 09:20 PM
I soak all the o-rings in the new parts kit and whala!! everything works.

Ando
04-16-2010, 09:32 PM
I would still let AGD know. Your not the only one that's had to do that.

Ravenneon
04-21-2010, 11:48 AM
I did get in contact with AGD about the possibility that they could have a bad batch of orings in their parts kits. I was told the president of the company was in contact with the company that manufactures the orings for their kits and I would be kept informed if anything comes up. I am kind of disappointed that they didnt offer to send me another kit or even just the valve body oring to try again to rectify the situation....oh well. Hopefully this helps.

Ms54Coupe
04-21-2010, 12:42 PM
I am kind of disappointed that they didnt offer to send me another kit or even just the valve body oring to try again to rectify the situation....oh well. Hopefully this helps.

I bet they would have if you asked...they are helpful but not always offering up things for free unless you have an issue like yours and ask for a replacement :cheers:

Glad you are all set!

Tunaman
04-21-2010, 05:17 PM
In all of my years working with these guns I have never seen a bad oring in a parts kit. I get orings by the hundreds from AGD and I see no problems whatsoever. The L10 carrier oring has been getting a bit smaller over the years but that is why they make different size carriers. You can gouge a new oring with a pick or tool, and I have seen dry orings hang up when assembling. You should Not need oil for the oring to do its job. 20 drops would be over kill, as only 3-4 drops will do the job. ;)