PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Advice Needed

MFM-70
04-13-2010, 07:25 AM
All,
I would like some advice on which barrel to buy.
My number one priority is accuracy.
Budget is $100.

I currently have an Armson 14" rifled and ported barrel that has served faithfully for 10+ years.
As I am now getting back into the sport, I assume that tech has changed and I need to catch up.

Please give reasons for your suggestions if possible.

Thanks
Matt

Ando
04-13-2010, 08:54 AM
If your looking for a twistlock...not much in advancement has come out for that type of system. They now have a twistlock to cocker adapter you can purchase. Allows you to use any Autococker barrel on a Automag.

There's one for sale here for $25...

http://automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=250159

It's the small green one. You could also go with a ULE body but that willl put you way out of your budget.

As for a barrel. Best to go with a kit. Either a Freak system or something like a Kaner barrel setup. They were being sold for $80 a few months ago but are back to regular price. I love my Kaner set. Can't say enough good things about it.

Here's one on sale for $70. Ck to see if it's sold.
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3328552

If it is sold, I'm sure it won't be hard finding another. A ton of those were snagged up.

If your into the tactical seen...
http://www.paintballgateway.com/autabakitbld.html

Same performance as the regular Kaner set.

MFM-70
04-13-2010, 10:10 AM
OK Great info here!
Now the loaded question:
How much better will a Kaner or Freak system really be than my Armson?

Thanks

rawbutter
04-13-2010, 10:24 AM
OK Great info here!
Now the loaded question:

Thanks

Armson barrels are pretty good. I used to have one, and it always shot well for me.

A barrel kit is generally better because you can match your barrel to the bore of the paintball, and that helps with accuracy and self-cleaning, but in all honesty, the paint itself is the biggest factor when it comes to accuracy. Cheap paint always shoots like crap, even in a good barrel.

For example, I play woodsball with a bunch of friends locally, and for paint we usually go in together and buy bulk paintballs online. We usually buy mid-line stuff, like DXS or RPS or something like that. I shoot a scepter kit, but most of my friends shoot stock barrels. Since we're all using the same paint, however, I see very little different between my barrel kit and their stock barrels.

So, personally I would stick with your Armson and just spend your money on better paint. Maybe you could find a twistlock Dye Ultalite or Boomstick... or maybe another good barrel that's not rifled (rifled barrels seem to be a little harder on paint in my opinion), but there's really not a huge reason to get a barrel kit... not unless you're planning on going pro.

fhawkeye
04-13-2010, 10:26 AM
OK Great info here!
Now the loaded question:

Thanks

Well the advantage that barrels like the freak system (or hammer heads barrels which I'm partial too) have over the armson is the ability to utilize inserts or fins to the correct bore size of your paint in order to get the most consistency in your shots and most efficiency out of your air.

If the rifling in your armson has done you justice so far I recommend you check out hammerhead http://www.hammerheadpaintball.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8&Itemid=8

only issue is that it's going to put you a little over your budget. If that's the case then freak works just fine.

MANN
04-13-2010, 05:07 PM
don't buy a hammerhead barrel.

Sumthinwicked
04-13-2010, 05:24 PM
i went from the old half carbonfiber half stainless i think it was a jt barrel twistlock no longer in production to armson (great barrels btw) to cocker freaks (all i have is tacone bodies now ) i have never gone back only stock barrel i like is the 6in micromag barrel if i came across a cocker armson cheap enough id scoop it up for s**ts and giggles but yea the freak system has done well for me (deadly wind with freak or justice with freak from wwa)

athomas
04-13-2010, 09:39 PM
A barrel is just a guide to shoot the ball in the right general direction. That being said, odd shaped balls seem to be less accurate from a tight barrel than a loose barrel. Any barrel that is close to the size of the paint you are shooting will be fine. Err on the large size, to compensate for misshaped balls. The kits allow more flexibility to choose the inner diameter size to fit any paint, which will maximize your efficiency and reduce breakage in the barrel.

chafnerjr
04-14-2010, 07:24 AM
I swear by my DW Fibur barrel (which uses freak inserts). Totally personal preference but my snap shooting has improved greatly with the cf barrel and the freak inserts take care of the variety of paint that's out there :cheers:

Seth1784
04-16-2010, 04:39 PM
currently on the rt pro i picked up i'm running some redz pepper sticks i picked up used for 50 bucks with 4 backs and a 14 and 16" tip... honestly not bad not bad at all. i tried out my ooooooold 2000 model smart parts all american (i own a 99 cocker from way back when) and it didn't seem to do as well on the rt as it does on my cocker (why i have no idea) but the pepper sticks to alright i'm not complaining. i would like to try out the kaners that someone mentioned either that or a freak kit since i love my old all american.