PDA

View Full Version : Cutting down the feedneck on a classic body

Hobbez
04-13-2010, 10:30 AM
Just curious before I go cutting away. For those of you who have shortened the feedneck on a MM/AM body, how did you do it and how much did you cut?

I built a mount system for my q-loader as shown in this pic and want to cut off as much of the upper part of the feedtube as I can.
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s242/psovivian/DSC01930.jpg

Just looking for some tips before I start. Thanks :cool:

xero28
04-13-2010, 11:14 AM
To be honest, I'd leave it how you've got it. The powerfeed plug is a specific length. If you cut down the feedneck, you'll have to use the shorter plug and get the length of the feedneck just right so that it works correctly. I'm sure you'd be able to do it, but it might be more work than you really want. That being said, I've cut down a neck before and just used a hacksaw then a file to smooth out the edges and I cut down about 3/4" or so, but that was on a classic body, not a powerfeed.

OPBN
04-13-2010, 11:17 AM
I think how much you cut off depends on the hopper/feed system you are using and the feed tube style. For your application, you need to be sure that the feed plug still fits/works. If you cut too much, the plug can block the feed hole. Too little and it can cause a lip that can catch balls and jam or break.

MANN
04-13-2010, 05:09 PM
use a pipe cutter as it will cut it straight. Smooth out the inside when finished with some sand paper. measure the hole in the powertube to the bottom of the feedtube, and use the same length on the other side.

doc_Zox
04-13-2010, 09:11 PM
i wrap it with electrical tape on both sides of the cut
and use a sharp hack saw

http://premium1.uploadit.org/docZox/M1AGD/lbm09.jpg

Konigballer
04-14-2010, 12:06 PM
or you could be lazy like me and just have Luke do it for you. He did a good job, bevelled the edges and everything.

Ando
04-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Will a pipe cutter cut through SS?

MANN
04-14-2010, 04:02 PM
Will a pipe cutter cut through SS?

yep. I used the ~ 13.00$ Rigid one from home depot, and it works great.

kit352
04-18-2010, 09:20 PM
yup, rigid pipe cutter for me. it ruined one blade but cut perfect. cut about 3/4in off and its perfect. little dremel to clean up the edges.