PDA

View Full Version : Tech thoughts

Drix
04-13-2010, 11:38 AM
This part has really bugged me for quite some time so I figured I'd ask about it:

On an Xvalve, what keeps air from blowing around the power tube tip and the bolt and out? It seems to me you could squeeze some efficiency out by riding an x/o-ring right here.

kcombs9
04-13-2010, 11:46 AM
http://www.zdspb.com/media/tech/animations/level10real.gif

what oring would you remove?

Drix
04-13-2010, 11:59 AM
I would add one on the power tube tip to seal between the tip and the interrior of the bolt.

kcombs9
04-13-2010, 01:10 PM
http://www.zdspb.com/media/tech/animations/level10_6fps.gif

this one makes a better point, if you add another oring the bolt system cant bleed the air out and wont reset.

Edit you mean on the outside of the power tube tip? Mmmm /scratches head....

BigEvil
04-13-2010, 02:05 PM
I've thought about his one for a long time... there are a few things that I have come up with;

-A lot of effort for almost zero gain
-What you would theoretically hope to gain by adding orings you would probably loose by increasing the drag of the bolt on them.
-The power tube looks like it would be too thin to cut oring groove in.

I know, im a party pooper :p

SSP REAPER
04-13-2010, 02:10 PM
I've thought about his one for a long time... there are a few things that I have come up with;

-A lot of effort for almost zero gain
-What you would theoretically hope to gain by adding orings you would probably loose by increasing the drag of the bolt on them.
-The power tube looks like it would be too thin to cut oring groove in.

I know, im a party pooper :p
I have thought much of the same. There is zero to gain from something like Drix is suggesting and as you mention, the powettube is not thick enough to successfully seat an o-ring. If it were needed it would be there to begin with :D

Drix
04-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Not on the tip?

SSP REAPER
04-13-2010, 03:44 PM
Not on the tip?
And increse your chances of bolt stick? Chances are if there were an o-ring there it would get ripped off within a few shots anyhow...

BigEvil
04-14-2010, 06:43 AM
Not on the tip?

The PT tip is actually a wearable item. Not sure, might have to try it sometime.