PDA

View Full Version : Best Bang for the Buck Mask?

OPBN
04-18-2010, 01:42 PM
I have only been playing for a few years and had limited experience with various masks. Currently, I own a pair of Proto Switches with thermal lenses and two small fans that I rigged/mounted on top of the vents to keep from foggings. Seems to actually work great, but the noise from the fans kinda gets on my nerves at times. Without the fans, I fogged pretty bad. I have used my brothers Profilers, which seemed alright, but fogged a little in them as well. This weekend he was having issues with both the Profilers and his Save Phace mask. I have heard good reviews about I3's, but reluctant to shell out the cash if I am still going to have to rig up fans or buy a $40 fan kit to keep them clear. What masks has everyone else had great non-fogging success with?

Shirow
04-18-2010, 01:46 PM
I have only been playing for a few years and had limited experience with various masks. Currently, I own a pair of Proto Switches with thermal lenses and two small fans that I rigged/mounted on top of the vents to keep from foggings. Seems to actually work great, but the noise from the fans kinda gets on my nerves at times. Without the fans, I fogged pretty bad. I have used my brothers Profilers, which seemed alright, but fogged a little in them as well. This weekend he was having issues with both the Profilers and his Save Phace mask. I have heard good reviews about I3's, but reluctant to shell out the cash if I am still going to have to rig up fans or buy a $40 fan kit to keep them clear. What masks has everyone else had great non-fogging success with?

I've been happy with my E-Vents, I used to have a pair of older Dye Invision (same thing as I3 basically) and they used to fog until I added the fan. The foam is also horrible in them and makes sweat sheet down the inside of the lens.

maniacmechanic
04-18-2010, 03:00 PM
E Vents , been using them 3 years , only fogged 1 time & found the moisture inbetween the lens , I live in south florida , rain & humidity

Frizzle Fry
04-18-2010, 04:18 PM
Bang for your buck? I'd say JT Flex-8s.... They can be had NIB for $40 and are extremely durable with lots of accessories readily available. They're very good looking (especially for that price), and there are color schemes to match almost any gear setup you've got. Fans, soft ears, lenses and visors are easy to find and affordable.

Obviously they're not as fancy as $100+ setups, but as far as "Bang for your Buck" goes, twice as much money for I4s or E-Vents does NOT get you that much more functionality.

mpsd
04-18-2010, 05:13 PM
I have several masks but I still preffer the Flex 7 over all of them. You can buy mixed parts and build it whatever way you want and that's nice. If you preffer to have a stock mask for less money, than I would go with the Flex 8 as they are as good as the 7 and still cheaper.

Now if you're talking high end, no matter the cost, then my favorite would be the Grill.

warbeak2099
04-18-2010, 06:19 PM
I personally think Profilers are the best value on the market. I just can't stand JT masks. I can't believe the Profilers fogged on you. Maybe the lens was old.

Frizzle Fry
04-18-2010, 06:25 PM
I have to admit, I don't like any JT masks other than the newer Flex- series.... That said, I didn't like V-force either; they don't cover my jaw line and fog like a bandit.

OPBN
04-18-2010, 07:07 PM
I personally think Profilers are the best value on the market. I just can't stand JT masks. I can't believe the Profilers fogged on you. Maybe the lens was old. Lense would have only been a year old. I know because I bought it for him last year for his Bday. Only been used 8 times or so. He put anti fog on it at lunch and it cleared up. Could have been the change in weather though too.

When I say 'bang for buck", I am merely saying what mask is truly worth the money? I am willing to step up for a better mask that doesn't fog, but I'm going to be ticked if I shell out $100+ and start fogging as soon as it gets a little humid out. It's not like the ones I have are cheap, they were nearly $65-70 when I bought them new.

warbeak2099
04-18-2010, 07:41 PM
In that case my E-Vents never fog on me up here in the Northeast. They're very comfortable and changing lenses is a cinch. That's a big one for me, the fact that JT still hasn't incorporated a quick release system into their Spectra/Flex based goggles has prevented me from buying a pair for years. It's just too damn ridiculous cleaning those things. And you can't just dunk them in water because the lenses are double pane. Once you get water in between the lenses, you're screwed.

splat15k
04-18-2010, 07:53 PM
In that case my E-Vents never fog on me up here in the Northeast. They're very comfortable and changing lenses is a cinch. That's a big one for me, the fact that JT still hasn't incorporated a quick release system into their Spectra/Flex based goggles has prevented me from buying a pair for years. It's just too damn ridiculous cleaning those things. And you can't just dunk them in water because the lenses are double pane. Once you get water in between the lenses, you're screwed.

Agreed 100%. That's exactly why I replaced my flex 7 with a profiler... haven't regretted it for a second.

Frizzle Fry
04-18-2010, 08:00 PM

Haven't had water yet, but I can understand that. We're a handful of miles away from one another.

CatoRockwell
04-19-2010, 09:56 AM
Lense would have only been a year old. I know because I bought it for him last year for his Bday. Only been used 8 times or so. He put anti fog on it at lunch and it cleared up. Could have been the change in weather though too.

When I say 'bang for buck", I am merely saying what mask is truly worth the money? I am willing to step up for a better mask that doesn't fog, but I'm going to be ticked if I shell out $100+ and start fogging as soon as it gets a little humid out. It's not like the ones I have are cheap, they were nearly $65-70 when I bought them new.

That is probably why they fogged. You do not ever, want to put your own 3rd party anti-fog on Vforce lenses. They come with an antifog coating, which if you use anything but water to clean will come off quickly and cause fogging issues.

Another tip with vforce if fogging is an issue, take off the visor. My grills used to get fogged all the time, and then I took off the visor and now they vent really well, reducing the fog problem. I also put a small laptop fan in there just in case, turn it on for short periods of time if it starts getting slightly foggy.

warbeak2099
04-19-2010, 10:00 AM
Haven't had water yet, but I can understand that. We're a handful of miles away from one another.

Hey do you ever get anywhere near Worcester? I play at Fox4 in Upton on the weekends. Wait a minute didn't I meet you at a tourny in NH one time? I think it was at NH Indoor.

OPBN
04-19-2010, 10:04 AM
That is probably why they fogged. You do not ever, want to put your own 3rd party anti-fog on Vforce lenses. They come with an antifog coating, which if you use anything but water to clean will come off quickly and cause fogging issues.

Another tip with vforce if fogging is an issue, take off the visor. My grills used to get fogged all the time, and then I took off the visor and now they vent really well, reducing the fog problem. I also put a small laptop fan in there just in case, turn it on for short periods of time if it starts getting slightly foggy.
Saturday was the first time that he ever used the anti-fog spray. They were fogging prior to that. Didn't fog after putting the spray on. He also uses it without the visor. I know about the fans. As mentioned, I have two on my Switches. Looking for a mask that won't fog without the use of fans.

flyingpootang
04-19-2010, 10:22 AM
I use V-Force mask for 3 years and never had a problem fogging. Real easy to come apart and clean and can be bought for around 35 new...

Stayhuge
04-19-2010, 10:40 AM
Speaking as someone that has had so many problems with fogging, and can't see spending $100 on a mask, I have to go wtih the JT series. I currently have Spectra Thermals, that I got for $40 new with a free fan. At first they were fine. Lasted about a year. Then the lens started fogging. I have the JT magik spray. I simply spray that on the inside the morning before I play. Wait a minute, then swab it out about 90% leaving a thin film. That dries, and wala, no fog for the whole day. The spray was $7 and has lasted for years now. I am thinking about getting a set of Flexes soon and having the spectra's for backup, even though I rarely need a backup. Haven't had to use my DYE Invisions since I got eh Spectras 2 years ago. My 2 cents.

Ando
04-19-2010, 10:59 AM
I've used just about everything under the sun when it comes to masks and everything fogs up on me. Reason being, I get very, very hot :cool:

Really. Wife calls me her personal furnace. My son is the exact same way. She can't sleep in the bed with both of us in it. Only thing I've found to counter react it is...
http://www.c-clearantifog.com/
I can't vouch for the spray type but the gel is awesome. I tried it for the first time in Germany back in 98, a German friend hooked me on the stuff. I'll try to do a review on it someday. He applies it once and he's good for the whole day, wish I could say the same :rolleyes:

It's super easy to apply and comes right off with running water which is good and bad. If a drop of sweat hits the lens it's going to kill the coat but if you can keep that from happening, you'll be good for almost a full days worth of games. I have a few clear lenses for my Grills and Profiles so all I do is swap out lenses if it starts fogging up again but like I said, it take 1 min to apply and your back in business. I swap out lenses about twice during the day but I would have to say I'm an exception due to how hot I get. With out it, I'm hosed :mad:

OPBN
04-19-2010, 11:16 AM
I think most of my issues come from the fact that I sweat like a pig. I am also not exactly a marathon runner, so I am huffing and puffing pretty hard throughout the day which doesn't help. I can't even wear a pair of enclosed shop goggles without fogging them in my basement when it's 50 degrees and I'm standing still. I honestly think I must emit steam out of my eyeballs sometimes. Sounds like I might just stick with what I have and deal with the fan noise. Last thing I feel like doing is dropping more money on something that's going to give me the same basic result.

Ando
04-19-2010, 11:54 AM
I'm the same way bro. I sweat really bad and the vents up top can't keep up with the heat build up. All the heat coming off the face has no place to go and turns the mask into a sauna. If you like I can send some of this stuff to you so you can try it out. :cheers:

leloup
04-19-2010, 12:17 PM
I have the same setup as you, OPBN, I use proto switch with a thermal lense. I have never had a fogging issue. Only problem is that it is a tinted lense + bad vision + mostly indoor play = not seeing worth crap.