PDA

View Full Version : MicroMag Question

OPBN
04-20-2010, 11:05 AM
I have a MM with the lever type detent, Gen 2/3. Had it for about a year and never got a chance to put paint through it. I am currently looking to sell it, but figured I would take a few minutes to gas it up and see how it shoots. Had a hard time getting it dialed in, especially since it kept double feeding. Is this common with this generation of MM? Honestly, I really like the way it feels and was second guessing selling it, but the double feeding is ridiculous. At some points, it would literally start just streaming balls out of the barrel. I know the barrel is a big bore, it's my backup and I was using it because my barrel kit is out getting anodized. I could understand something like a Halo pushing past the detent, but all I was using was a VL Revy.. Is there a way to put a stronger spring to put more pressure on the detent?

Ms54Coupe
04-20-2010, 11:51 AM
I hate to say it (as a micromag owner) but the ball retainer design on the micro is pathetic!

On to addressing your double feeding issue...

I have found that the lever is retained by a main mounting bracket which is fastened to the body of the marker with two bolts. Check to make sure that your bolts are not too tight or too loose. Also I noticed that you can move the detent lever up/down and if it is too snug on the top or bottom of the slot it goes through into the chamber it can hang up on the body of the gun and not allow the lever to move in/out when balls are fired.

I took my entire ball detent/retainer setup off of the side of my micro and looked it over very thoroughly I leaned it and replaced the slotted spring pin which acts as a pivot pin between the mounting bracket and the retainer arm, with a light duty stainless steel coiled pin (benefit of working for the largest spring pin manufacturing company in the world).

I replaced the spring pin for a multitude of reasons and the major reason is the plastic host that the pin is used in...anyone who is interested can check out this white paper we published on our website pointing out the many advantages of using a coiled pin in plastic (and any host really).

http://www.spirol.com/library/whitepapers/How_To_Improve_Prod_Des_us.pdf

Nate

OPBN
04-29-2010, 07:05 AM
The screws are tight, but I don't think overtightened. I don't see how that would affect the detent other than possibly stipping the holes? I don't have access to the springs you're talking about and honestly, I don't see how to remove the one thats in there. Any other suggestions? I see some beautiful MicroMags out there and can't imagine they are all double feeding like this. Could it just be that the detent is worn out? Any other ideas?

I currently have the body at Lukes and am looking at having him tap for a regular type detent. As it sits, it's useless to me unless I run with a gravity fed hopper which wasn't really my plans for this thing.

Coralis
04-29-2010, 06:01 PM
You can try to see if Pro team has some new detent arms , perhaps yours is damaged or someone tried to modify it . there is some contact information in the dealer section for pro team products under the micromag 2009 thread I believe.

OPBN
04-29-2010, 06:50 PM
I've spoken to Forest a couple of times, but not on this subject. I guess it couldnt hurt to email him. Thanks.

athomas
04-30-2010, 04:45 PM
How small is the paint you are using? Small paint pushes past loose detents quite easily. Hold the detent with your finger to see if it makes a difference. If it does, then you may need to put a stiffer or longer spring on.

OPBN
04-30-2010, 06:02 PM
If I hold the detent down, the balls dont slip past. I ordered a new detent from PTP and will get the marker back next week to do some more testing. Hopefully, the new detent fixes it.

Frizzle Fry
04-30-2010, 08:33 PM
Almost everything Ms54Coupe said is inaccurate. I'm guessing that being new to mags and having had Micro trouble recently has been bittering for him.

Like any detent, tuning is needed. First thing I do when I encounter paint that's on the small side, is switch springs. Stiffer is better for smaller paint, lighter for bigger. Sometimes when your detent arm is worn down and a little on the old side (because the marker is 8 years old, minimum) you need to shave a tiny bit off the inside of the arm where it rests against the "body" (mounting bracket) of the detent assembly. Then you smooth the tip of the arm accordingly. This works for the milled-style built-in detents as well.

You've got a Gen2 on your hands; that means it's probably 15+ years old. Ever had a screw-in ball detent that lasted 15 years? How about 15 cases? This is totally normal over time. Thankfully, these things are easily rebuilt and modified, and last pretty much forever (or as long as you'll be playing). I've got functional PTP detents dating back to '95.

*edit:

If I hold the detent down, the balls dont slip past. I ordered a new detent from PTP and will get the marker back next week to do some more testing. Hopefully, the new detent fixes it.
I hadn't refreshed this in an hour, missed this... Anyway, you just need a new spring. Happens every 20 cases or so with a classic / lvl7.

OPBN
04-30-2010, 09:14 PM
How exactly do you change the spring? I haven't seen any way to remove the arm from the mount.

athomas
05-01-2010, 07:20 AM
The detent is held in place with a roll pin. Just punch it out.

Frizzle Fry
05-02-2010, 10:36 AM
The detent is held in place with a roll pin. Just punch it out.

Right on.

I usually use a small allen key rather than a pointed punch, though the pointed punch is good for getting it back in (it expands the end so it grabs). Stick in a small allen key, give it a few light taps with a tack hammer, and you should be all set. It can take a little searching for that perfect pen spring but it's worth it in the long run. Just be careful to get the spring in the hole properly when you re-install.

Ms54Coupe
05-04-2010, 08:10 PM
Almost everything Ms54Coupe said is inaccurate.

Please be more specific because I solved my ball retainer problem and am very curious about the misleading or inaccurate information I gave the OP.