View Full Version : Macdev tactical drone

axpkai
04-20-2010, 10:47 PM
What do people think of this marker?

going_home
04-21-2010, 03:20 PM
What do people think of this marker?

I'd like to have one.
Didnt MacDev stop selling them until they could figure out the bug issue ?

http://www.undergroundmodshop.com/forums/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=19176

Below 50 degrees the noid seems to stop working.

Posted Jan.10 2010 on UMS:

I feel I owe any readers of this forum an explaination and want to give an update on this gun after 4 months of using it. I stand behind everything I said earlier, but I have to give this gun a thumbs down for anyone who plays in temperatures below 50 degrees.

Basically, this gun doesn't work well in cold weather. It has a problem with first shot drop off starting at about 55 degrees F, and gets progressively worse the colder it gets. Near freezing, the noid doesn't click until the trigger is pulled about 5 times. Myself and our team tech have played with these things for weeks now, and haven't been able to cure the problem with any of the guns we have. Macdev knows about the problem, but they don't have sub freezing temperatures, and it is summer there right now. We believe it is a problem with binding in the noid, but have not received a definate answer from Macdev yet.

I am confidant they will come up with a solution soon, but I didn't want readers here to take this review and buy one and be disapointed. There really aren't a lot of them out there, but they are getting some publicity now before the new season. Other than the cold issue, they are great. I used one of mine yesterday and put about a case through it. Accurate, and very consistant now that it is broken in. I just had to pull the trigger about 5 times to get it to fire after it had been sitting for a while.

I have done some nice "voided warranty mods" to one, and will post pics shortly.

The only thing I will add is like any spool valve gun, it doesn't shoot through breaks near the bolt area very well. I was using some very brittle paint yesterday, and one broke in the hopper. I had to leave the game to change hoppers and wipe out the bolt area. Once I did that, it did great for the rest of the day.

So, if you don't play in temperatures below 50 degrees F or so, it is still a great paintball gun. If you play in sub freezing temperatures like some of us, wait for a fix from Macdev or have another gun to use in the cold.

I'm in Florida so if anyone in snow country cant take it anymore send me your Drone plz.

;)

axpkai
04-21-2010, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the info, I'm in California, so below 50 weather shouldn't be too big of an issue. I was thinking of letting go either my tac or etac to try and get one of these drones.

axpkai
04-21-2010, 10:38 PM
Seems like they might have fixed the problem

"My Drone has very bad first shot drop off (FSDO). What do I do? First, make sure you have a fresh battery. Then check the drive train for cleanliness and proper lubrication. Any buildup, piece of shell or a glob of paint on the bolt tip or on the bolt body can make it stick. There is also a bumper o-ring on the power tube at the back of the bolt that should be dry and clean. As a last resort, you can adjust the anti-bolt stick setting in the board if the drop is consistent and predictable.

If the problem only happens in colder weather (less than 60 degrees F), you may have a first generation solenoid. For serial numbers at least as high as 0127, the solenoid starts to bind as it gets colder, eventually refusing to work at about freezing temperatures and below. Contact your Macdev authorized service center for a solution."

Toll
04-21-2010, 10:49 PM
As I recall they are just less expensive droid copies with rails. Droids are good. Cheap is good. Together it can't be that bad.

insixdays777
04-22-2010, 09:06 AM
1) Yes the issue with cold weather has been corrected. All new Drones are good to go. If you do get a older one it can be updated as well. No worries. I email a macdev tech about this a few weeks ago.

2) The Drone is not like the Droid. To keep it simple: The Droid(and Clone) has a valve that mechanically cuts off the air flow during the bolt cycle to achieve its amazing efficiency.
The Drone does not have the valve. However it still gets great efficiency.

3) I am a huge MacDev fanboy. I own a Droid, Clone and Cyborg RX. I am going to pick up a Drone soon. MacDev makes absolutely amazing markers. Their tolerences and build quality are unsurpassed by any large high-end marker mfgs.

I also believe they are the only marker mfg still in business that makes their markers in house.(Not farming the work out to independent machine shops). They are a family run operation that runs, mills and anno's their own products in their own building/shop.

BigEvil
04-22-2010, 10:30 AM
1) Yes the issue with cold weather has been corrected. All new Drones are good to go. If you do get a older one it can be updated as well. No worries. I email a macdev tech about this a few weeks ago.

2) The Drone is not like the Droid. To keep it simple: The Droid(and Clone) has a valve that mechanically cuts off the air flow during the bolt cycle to achieve its amazing efficiency.
The Drone does not have the valve. However it still gets great efficiency.

3) I am a huge MacDev fanboy. I own a Droid, Clone and Cyborg RX. I am going to pick up a Drone soon. MacDev makes absolutely amazing markers. Their tolerences and build quality are unsurpassed by any large high-end marker mfgs.

I also believe they are the only marker mfg still in business that makes their markers in house.(Not farming the work out to independent machine shops). They are a family run operation that runs, mills and anno's their own products in their own building/shop.

Where are you going for parts and service? Any good dealers other than PBKingdom? I know Kai is out of MacDev now so im not sure what is up.

insixdays777
04-22-2010, 10:44 AM
Service in the states is handled by Jerry - MacDev USA. He is in FL. Email: "yeee108 AT gmail"

I received literally one of the first clones off the line number 007. It had a strange an isolated bolt wear issue. The only Clone to date to have this. I emailed MacDev they first over nighted from AUS a new drive train. That did not correct the issue. They had me send the marker into Jerry in FL. They could not resolve the issue to there satisfaction and MacDev AUS overnight-ed me a BRAND new clone! I have never has such an awesome customer service experience.

I order my parts/guns from MacDev AUS - "info AT macdev.net" OR Commander Mo's Paintball out of FL. They have a huge EBAY store - just search Macdev - all of those new parts that come up are from Mos. They can get/have everything and anything. Mo's email is : "mospaintball AT gmail"

oringmonkey also carries all MacDev oring kits as well.

Outshined
04-22-2010, 03:50 PM
Now take this as a grain of salt because I have never held a Drone...

I've read in a few places that the battery connections are very weak on this marker. Couple that with many people complaining about poor connections and wiring on the Droid. That really scares me. In fact it scared me away.

axpkai
05-27-2010, 04:57 PM
So I got my Drone yesterday and I have looked at the battery connection and must say that it shouldn't have any issues. The connection isn't like the one for the warpfeed with a wires and a tab that goes on the 9v that can tear and seperate. It is literally 2 metal prongs that uses tension to touch the battery like what you see with AA batteries. So there is not way you could rip out the battery and tear the connectors. Overall my first impression of the Drone is that it shoots great, however what I do not like is the trigger. It feels a little "limp" I think I like the reactivity of the mag and emag better. I have ordered the violent products upgrade trigger for the Drone so that will hopefully solve the problem.

zondo
05-27-2010, 05:22 PM
I think there have been some issues lately with customer support, but I haven't experienced any. Jerry at MacDev USA gave me a great deal on the RX2 Gladiator reg and I had it in my hands within days of my email inquiry.

I love my RX :argh:

going_home
05-27-2010, 05:40 PM
I traded for one last week. I've yet to play with it but dry firing it screams. I'll play with it in a couple weeks but so far I love it. ;)

Mercenario
05-27-2010, 09:10 PM
Nice going home, now we have 2 drones in the area. I love mine, I played with it at orbital this past weekend and absolutely love it.

going_home
05-31-2010, 08:40 PM
Nice going home, now we have 2 drones in the area. I love mine, I played with it at orbital this past weekend and absolutely love it.

Wow Orbital huh ?
I haven't played there in probably 5 years.

Finally was able put some paint thru the Drone this afternoon.
Oh my goshness ! The thing screams.
I do need to tweak the settings though.
Used a thousand PSI in a 45/4500 tank for one hopper.
Guess the dwell needs tweaked.
I was reading Boomers thread over on PBN and it was helpful.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3310016

Going to try and play once or twice with it next month at least a couple games.
Its getting almost to hot to play now.

:(

Mercenario
06-01-2010, 10:02 AM
Let me know when you're heading out and I see if I can join you. Like that I won't be the only one asked, what marker is that?

I will be playing at CFP the 26th most likely for a MCB pump get together.