PDA

View Full Version : RIP Free Speech

insixdays777
04-22-2010, 11:15 AM
http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/04/south-park-censorship-.html

Its a very sad day when you can no longer make fun of a child molesting rag head camel lover.

RIP Free Speech.

Ando
04-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Wow...Talk about BS. I hope Parker and Stone just walk away from CS for this.

I can't stand these radical Islamic tools. They use violence to get what they want which causes more problems for their religion. I hope Parker and Stone get the law involved.

teufelhunden
04-22-2010, 12:03 PM
That really is bogus.

They should do an episode in the mold of the *poop* episode and just replace it with mohammed. Counter and all.

leloup
04-22-2010, 02:13 PM
You are also talking about a culture that is both very strict and has lots of guidlines to live by. In many muslim coutries, you could be severly punished for posessing alcohol, killed for repeat offences. They are harsh by our standards for sure, but not without reason.

I do think that people need to be more respectful of other's religions. "We" may think it a joke, but it is a grave offence in their culture. What happened to being a good decent person? If you didn't like people making fun of your prophets (don't care if you really do or not), wouldn't you be a little upset? I am not saying I agree with their methods or being so mean about it.

Lastly, sorry for the rant, is this whole "free speech" bs. You don't have the right to say what ever you want with out any consequence. You have the right to say what you want, and then accept ALL consequences of your actions. You said something bad you are going to get into trouble. We also have the right, as Americans, to sue any one for just about any reason (not that you would win, but you can still do it). After all, some lady sued McDonalds for having hot coffee!

DevilMan
04-22-2010, 02:19 PM
It's true... and at the same time the threatening persons should be shut down and arrested and everything else for making a threat of bodily harm.. Since it is a written statement by them. They should what ever can be pushed to them by legal means.

I don't care if you make fun of any religious character, my family, me, or anyone else on this planet. That's your right. meh... bunch of sissy hosers if you ask me.

DM

Lohman446
04-22-2010, 02:24 PM
I don't see where the government was involved in the censorship? No government involvement, no free speech issues.

DevilMan
04-22-2010, 02:32 PM
You are also talking about a culture that is both very strict and has lots of guidlines to live by. In many muslim coutries, you could be severly punished for posessing alcohol, killed for repeat offences. They are harsh by our standards for sure, but not without reason.

This is NOT a muslim country.

I do think that people need to be more respectful of other's religions. "We" may think it a joke, but it is a grave offence in their culture. What happened to being a good decent person? If you didn't like people making fun of your prophets (don't care if you really do or not), wouldn't you be a little upset? I am not saying I agree with their methods or being so mean about it.

And the same people need to understand that not everyone has a religion. If you can't stand to have someone talk about your religion then maybe you should believe a bit more. Since I don't know too many that aren't about teaching tolerance.

Lastly, sorry for the rant, is this whole "free speech" bs. You don't have the right to say what ever you want with out any consequence. You have the right to say what you want, and then accept ALL consequences of your actions. You said something bad you are going to get into trouble. We also have the right, as Americans, to sue any one for just about any reason (not that you would win, but you can still do it). After all, some lady sued McDonalds for having hot coffee!

No this ^^^^ is BS.

Freedom of speech is the freedom to speak without censorship and/or limitation. The synonymous term freedom of expression is sometimes used to indicate not only freedom of verbal speech but any act of seeking, receiving and imparting information or ideas, regardless of the medium used. In practice, the right to freedom of speech is not absolute in any country and the right is commonly subject to limitations, such as on "hate speech".

The right to freedom of speech is recognized as a human right under Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and recognized in international human rights law in the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR). The ICCPR recognizes the right to freedom of speech as "the right to hold opinions without interference. Everyone shall have the right to freedom of expression".[1][2] Furthermore freedom of speech is recognized in European, inter-American and African regional human rights law.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech

The freedom extends to point of slander and defamation. It's NOT illegal to say that someone is a bank robber if they have been convicted of robbing a bank, it's not illegal to call someone a murderer if they have been convicted of the crime. It's not illegal to put out that businesses have poor customer service. They have the freedom to pick their god. And everyone else has the freedom to chose as well. What is said/done/thought about the other is of no right of theirs to control.

DM

DevilMan
04-22-2010, 02:34 PM
I don't see where the government was involved in the censorship? No government involvement, no free speech issues.

Tis true. The network chose to adjust it's programming. However I would also try and press charges of threat to cause bodily harm and see if some heat could be put onto the other party. Nothing more than a bully action on their part.

DM

DevilMan
04-22-2010, 02:36 PM
I don't recall "having the right to sue" as being something that is covered in the founding documents of this country.

DM

Lohman446
04-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Tis true. The network chose to adjust it's programming. However I would also try and press charges of threat to cause bodily harm and see if some heat could be put onto the other party. Nothing more than a bully action on their part.

DM

I would think it falls under the assault category personally, but did not see the threat. Did not look for it, read it, or anything else, not denying its existence.

insixdays777
04-22-2010, 03:21 PM

The term "Free Speech" was used in its broadest sense. An inalienable right I believe every human being on the face of the planet has.

I am sorry but that is exactly the opposite purpose of the constitution and the founding father's beliefs as to the roll of government.

The government does not exist to grant rights or take them away. It can do no such thing as rights are inalienable.

Government is here only to PROTECT and DEFEND our inalienable rights as described by the constitution.

At what point does it become it become "free speech" issue?

Comedy Central decided that the word muhammad was offensive and inappropriate, what would they do if Parker and Stone decided from this point forward to begin and end every spoken line in the the show with the word muhammad? They would likely pull the show. The episode was barely understandable with all the bleeping and black boxing as it was.

Why shouldn't/cant Comcast Cable decide that the word "constitutional" is offensive and inappropriate? All shows that say the word "constitutional" should at the very least be edited if not thrown off the air.

What if newspapers decided that they are not going to print any sentences with the presidents name or reference in them that also contain any words that have negative meanings?

Lohman446
04-22-2010, 03:35 PM
In a free market it would be the owners right. Parker and Stone (assuming they are not under contract) would be free to go elsewhere. Viewers who did not like it would be free to go elsewhere. Freedom of speech also means freedom to not speak (and if you are the broadcaster . newspaper this means you). More people need to remember that sometimes too.

SCpoloRicker
04-22-2010, 03:53 PM
A public owned corporation decided to exhibit creative control over their property.

Methinks op needs to reconsider what "free speech" means.

/ironic that there are several highly political threads going on currently?

Frizzle Fry
04-22-2010, 05:20 PM

Comedy Central isn't broadcast to those countries.

Most Muslims in the US don't care about this South Park issue, and didn't care last time they did it... It's just the handful of outspoken extremists who make violent threats.

Since when do we kowtow to violent extremists and terrorists? What ever happened to "If you don't like it, don't watch it"? I mean, people are paying to receive Comedy Central; you have the choice to not even receive it on your TV. It's not like they censored the content of the episode, either, they just bleeped out some names and words. The meaning is still there and is completely apparent, which just makes the networks actions seem more silly if they're genuinely doing this to avoid controversy.

Frizzle Fry
04-22-2010, 05:24 PM

Hey hey hey, this isn't political, it's religious! Totally different :rolleyes: :p :D

Hexis
04-22-2010, 05:59 PM
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Don't see any hint of the US Congress having anything to do with Comedy Central making a dumb decision.

It's not a free speech issue. It's a stupid corporation decision based on (IMHO) foolish reasoning.

Crying wolf about free speech won't help anything.

drg
04-23-2010, 07:07 AM
1) It's a private entity's right to do this.

2) In the pantheon of deleterious decisions corporations make, this is pretty piddly. Get over it. When you push the edge of acceptability, you occasionally get pushed back. Comes with the territory.

warbeak2099
04-23-2010, 07:39 AM
Did anyone see that the Islamic group's website got hacked lol? It's pretty funny.

DevilMan
04-23-2010, 10:18 AM
Did anyone see that the Islamic group's website got hacked lol? It's pretty funny.

I wish someone would hack it and make it ONLY play the SouthPark episode UNEDITED over and over... :D

DM

DevilMan
04-23-2010, 10:21 AM
And in a way it is about free speech.

CC played the show, CC received threats against it from extremists, CC gets no assistance from law enforcement as to the threatening nature of the whole deal.

Piddly? Sure... in the grand scheme of things. But do you think it would be just as lax if I sent a note to the local temple stating that if they didn't stop what they were doing I'd bomb the place?

DM

Soopa Villain17
04-23-2010, 11:56 AM
the censors and bleeps made the episode difficult to watch. one of these days the muslims will get what they deserve , a nuke shoved up there ***.

DevilMan
04-23-2010, 01:36 PM
the censors and bleeps made the episode difficult to watch. one of these days the extremist muslims will get what they deserve , a nuke shoved up there posterior body cavity.

FIXED!

I have plenty of friends who are muslim.... none that I know that are that extreme/stupid/arrogant/spiteful/etc.

Also I don't think there should be nukes used. I am more of a surgical strike person. I like the "Members of X group have been identified and are being eliminated with extreme prejudice by covert operations of the US military." Much more gratifying, to me at least.

DM

neppo1345
04-23-2010, 02:24 PM
A public owned corporation decided to exhibit creative control over their property.

Methinks op needs to reconsider what "free speech" means.

+1

the censors and bleeps made the episode difficult to watch. one of these days the muslims will get what they deserve , a nuke shoved up there ***.

Reported.

/it's their...not there.

drg
04-23-2010, 04:50 PM
FIXED!

I have plenty of friends who are muslim.... none that I know that are that extreme/stupid/arrogant/spiteful/etc.

Why blithely ignore the fact that he made no such distinction? That's the problem, people aren't held accountable for their ignorance and prejudice.

As someone who knows better, you should be using this as a teachable moment. Instead you gloss over it and basically agree with the jingoism.

DevilMan
04-23-2010, 08:01 PM
Why blithely ignore the fact that he made no such distinction? That's the problem, people aren't held accountable for their ignorance and prejudice.

As someone who knows better, you should be using this as a teachable moment. Instead you gloss over it and basically agree with the jingoism.

WHY??? Because my balls are actually fully formed that's why. And because my skin is thicker than a nanometer, and because I am able to discern the difference myself.

Want a teachable moment? Quit being a cry baby already. "Basically agree with the jingoism." ummmmm yeah... how do ya figure that one? Try reading ENGLISH as it's written. Not as you want to read it. Starting to sound like a woman, so you may wanna check for some sanitary napkins if you aren't supplied already.

Oh oooops... Did I say that? Yeah I did. Does that make me a womanizer? I guess it makes me whatever it is that you want me to be... In your eyes at least.

Glad to know that your mangina is blooming at least.

As for whether or not "he made no distinction" is of his own doing. I'm not his father, mother, teacher or any other person that is to be held responsible for his actions. You however want to try and say that I agree with him 100%??? PLEASE!!!! You and CP would get along well...

DM

behemoth
04-23-2010, 09:24 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/scarjo_popcorn.gif

drg
04-23-2010, 11:28 PM
WHY??? Because my balls are actually fully formed that's why. And because my skin is thicker than a nanometer, and because I am able to discern the difference myself.

Want a teachable moment? Quit being a cry baby already. "Basically agree with the jingoism." ummmmm yeah... how do ya figure that one? Try reading ENGLISH as it's written. Not as you want to read it. Starting to sound like a woman, so you may wanna check for some sanitary napkins if you aren't supplied already.

Oh oooops... Did I say that? Yeah I did. Does that make me a womanizer? I guess it makes me whatever it is that you want me to be... In your eyes at least.

Glad to know that your mangina is blooming at least.

As for whether or not "he made no distinction" is of his own doing. I'm not his father, mother, teacher or any other person that is to be held responsible for his actions. You however want to try and say that I agree with him 100%??? PLEASE!!!! You and CP would get along well...

DM

So in other words, you basically agreed with the jingoism so you were fine with letting his ignorance and prejudice go. Sputter and curse all you like, a simple "yes, you're right" would suffice.

Ask your Muslim friends whether it is okay to say things like that.

DevilMan
04-24-2010, 12:05 AM
So in other words, you basically agreed with the jingoism so you were fine with letting his ignorance and prejudice go. Sputter and curse all you like, a simple "yes, you're right" would suffice.

Ask your Muslim friends whether it is okay to say things like that.

I don't have to ask em.. this is the UNITED STATES... Not Saudi Arabia, Tibet, Korea, or any of the other places. You know there are those that find it "against their religion" to eat a cow right? So why don't you get on your little high horse and start a crusade to get beef banned from the US.

Let me know how ya come out on that one.

Again... Your reading comprehension skills are lacking. I don't know which part of any of my statements means that I'm saying you are any where close to being correct.

Try it again.. Maybe have your mom come over and read it to ya... maybe she can break it down some.

DM

And for the record... This whole topic started with the THREAT OF BODILY HARM due to the FREE SPEECH that someone chose to use. So why don't you take your little horsey... and go talk to the extremists that started this whole mess in the first place you freakin retard. Don't you get it???? THEY STARTED WITH THE PREJUDICE AND IGNORANCE and YOU ARE DEFENDING THEM! It's hard to see things for what they are sometimes... try a mirror.

drg
04-24-2010, 12:24 AM
I don't have to ask em..

So you wouldn't ask your Muslim friends what they would think of that statement? Why? Afraid to be educated?

SCpoloRicker
04-24-2010, 01:05 AM
Riker: Captain, the core is rapidly disintegrating!
Picard: Engineering! Can we insert common sense?
LaForge: Unlikely, sir. The two distinct masses have passed the event horizon.
Crusher (Acting Ensign): What if we tech the tech the tech with the tech!? That would reverse the "not going anywhere argument" field!

*Fans* WHEATON!!!!

You're both arguing over one of the dumbest comments in the thread.

drg
04-24-2010, 01:16 AM
You're both arguing over one of the dumbest comments in the thread.

I don't know if I'm arguing it ... I know it's one of the dumbest comments.

murdercrow
04-24-2010, 01:29 AM
RIP Free Speech

...threat to cause bodily harm...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/zacxxx/1263220793064.png

Its a very sad day when you can no longer make fun of a child molesting rag head camel lover.

...one of these days the muslims will get what they deserve , a nuke shoved up there ***.

I like the "Members of X group have been identified and are being eliminated with extreme prejudice by covert operations of the US military." Much more gratifying, to me at least.

...my balls...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/zacxxx/facepalm.jpg

going_home
04-24-2010, 07:55 AM
http://verydemotivational.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/129092786498235257.jpg

This thread is failing.
Is it ironic ?

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb215/icedragoon11/Irony.jpg

The facepalm police are on the way boys.

http://bum.net/pics/facepalm3.jpg

that is all//

:rolleyes:

AO Moderation Team
04-24-2010, 10:41 AM
This thread is failing.

The facepalm police are on the way boys.

http://bum.net/pics/facepalm3.jpg

Tactically locked.