PDA

View Full Version : Leaky fill nipple.

FIST2CUFF
04-23-2010, 09:58 AM
Hey everyone, I have an old nitroduck hpa tank that has a leaky fill nipple. The regulator is adjustable and the actual tank is a luxfer 4500/91 or 92 c.i. with a 6/04 date. I pulled the fill nipple off and looked at the valve and am sure that there must have been a small o-ring that has worn out. I feel that it may be a problem to get it fixed because the tank is way out of hydro (I never had it hydroed because I have not played in a long time and am getting back into it). I called my local pb shop and described it to the guy but he seemed to be worried about the hydro date. I am guessing that he may not work on it because of course to test the valve it has to be filled and he may not fill it because of the hydro date. Any suggestions or ideas to get this fixed? I do understand that it will need to be hydroed. Can the leaky fill nipple simply be replaced with a new fill nipple? Should I replace the regulater? Thanks for your help!

Sweet Tooth
04-23-2010, 10:26 AM
You can buy a new fill nipple, that would be fine. Heck, you might be able to just buy a new o ring. Whatever you do,

DO NOT PUT OIL INTO THE FILL NIPPLE

om3n
04-23-2010, 10:30 AM
You can buy a new fill nipple, that would be fine. Heck, you might be able to just buy a new o ring. Whatever you do,

DO NOT PUT OIL INTO THE FILL NIPPLE

^^This. It will explode next time you get an air fill. Literally, explode.

Ando
04-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Lies!!!

Statment worthless with out pics! :dance:

FIST2CUFF
04-23-2010, 12:08 PM
Oh yea do not worry, I have never worked on a tank much but I do know about that! I have seen plenty of pics showing the result! Is a fill nipple a fill nipple? What I mean is are there differences between companies or does everyone use the same thing? Any suggestions about where to look to order one? Thanks.

bbotts77
04-23-2010, 01:23 PM
Is a fill nipple a fill nipple?
If you've seen one nipple, you've seen them all. Some are smaller than others and a different color. They all serve the same function and fit the same, though.
http://www.ninjapaintball.com/images/Products/Thumbs/11_12_2008_12_17_9.jpg http://www.ninjapaintball.com/images/Products/Thumbs/1_15_2009_9_42_1.jpg

SeeK
04-23-2010, 01:53 PM
The fill nipples are the same threading and are a standard connector. I'm pretty sure they are all rated for over 5000psi but double check just to be sure.

There are 2 types of fill nipples that I've seen:

1. Piston type that looks like a slug of metal with a groove for the oring. It looks like an engine piston head. The wear occurs along the sides of the oring as it brushes against the inside of the nipple.

2. Plunger type with a piece of metal that looks like a T. The Top of the T holds the oring in place when pressure exists and presses it against the rim of the inside of the nipple. I think this was on a PE 45/68.

I like the #2 style better because when I had a small leak I just degassed the tank, removed the nipple, flipped the oring over and greased it with a little silicone grease.

FIST2CUFF
04-23-2010, 01:59 PM
I did some online homework and found a few places that sell fill nipples. Doropaintball offers 2 different types: a flat style and a triangle style. Mine looks very similar to the flat style. Other then that the other online stores offered the flat variety. Thanks fellas for the info! It helped alot. As always AGD gets it done!

:clap: :hail: :cheers:

I have to admit though that I could not find fill nipples on the AGD online store???

bbotts77
04-23-2010, 04:03 PM
If you want to get it all done at the same time, Ninja should be able to help you out. They do hydro testing and they have fill nipples and all that other CA-related stuff. They also have a reg-swap program in case you want a new reg.
Ninja Paintball (http://www.ninjapaintball.com/)

Sumthinwicked
04-23-2010, 04:11 PM
hydro it its 25 dollas and it saves lives ...... they dont need the reg to hydro it and tephlon tape does wonders around nipples unlessits internal then buy a new nipple

Sumthinwicked
04-23-2010, 04:18 PM
http://www.docsmachine.com/tech/fillstation.html hes using a mag as an example!

smeek
04-23-2010, 06:59 PM
While you wait on the nipple to ship to you, go ahead and find a local hydrotester and have the tank tested. It's illegal to fill an out of hydro tank, so if the field/store actually checks the tank, they won't fill it since it's out of hydro.

athomas
04-23-2010, 08:44 PM
Most fill nipples can be repaired, just by replacing the oring. One thing I have noticed, is that some of the pistons get cracked from the high pressure air driving the piston against the bottom of the hole. The groove provides a weak point in the bottom of the piston and causes it to bend at that point. It then pushes the oring out of position where it gets pinched, and the next thing you know, its leaking.