PDA

View Full Version : Input pressure questions

DoubleDutch
04-26-2010, 02:39 PM
I have an E-Mag with a tank with a Ninja regulator. It is currently set to approximately 950 PSI. Is that necessary for an E-Mag? Does it offer any advantages, such as faster recharge? Are there disadvantages at having it that high? The only one I can think of is that you "run out" of air a bit sooner.

Will you get shootdown sooner too if the tank is running low? i.e. you set your velocity with an input pressure of 950. When your tank is between say 800 and 950, will your velocity drop significantly? If your reg was set to 800, you shouldn't get any lower velocities until you actually hit 800. I guess I am asking how the A.I.R. valve works, does the input pressure affect what it regulates to, or does it just regulate relative to ambient?

The reason I am asking is that I am considering setting the pressure back down to 800 PSI so that I can draw deeper into the tank and have more consistent velocity at the end (if my assumptions are correct).

Last question: How do I reliably check the output pressure of my reg? My two microgauges show vastly different pressures when I screw the same tank in, one is definitely incorrect (it shows 600 PSI) but can I believe the other one (shows 950 PSI)? Do I need to get a super gauge or something, or is this something I need to take to my local shop to test?

Ms54Coupe
04-26-2010, 02:57 PM
I have not heard very much positive feedback on the ninja regs : /

I believe the EMag is similar/the same to the rt or x valve in that the higher the input pressure the happier the valve is. The Valve has a built in reg but the internals of the mag valve seem to enjoy higher pressure.

I don't think that running your reg at lower PSI will really help you get much deeper into the tank but I could be mistaken.

Nate

athomas
04-26-2010, 04:44 PM
I have an E-Mag with a tank with a Ninja regulator. It is currently set to approximately 950 PSI. Is that necessary for an E-Mag? Does it offer any advantages, such as faster recharge? Are there disadvantages at having it that high? The only one I can think of is that you "run out" of air a bit sooner.The advantages of a higher tank output pressure will be increased flow and recharge rate.

Will you get shootdown sooner too if the tank is running low? i.e. you set your velocity with an input pressure of 950. When your tank is between say 800 and 950, will your velocity drop significantly? If your reg was set to 800, you shouldn't get any lower velocities until you actually hit 800. I guess I am asking how the A.I.R. valve works, does the input pressure affect what it regulates to, or does it just regulate relative to ambient?

The reason I am asking is that I am considering setting the pressure back down to 800 PSI so that I can draw deeper into the tank and have more consistent velocity at the end (if my assumptions are correct).The regulator on the valve determines the velocity. The output from the tank will only determine the pressure going into the valve. The shootdown is ultimately determined by how fast the valve can recharge and it is more often a result of tank pressure vs valve chamber pressure. Since there are two regulators no matter what pressures are used, the recharge rates will essentially be the same.

You have to have at least 200psi above the output pressure of the regulator to maintain good flow rate. That is why they recommend a high tank regulator pressure feeding the valve regulator. Once the tank pressure gets low or lower than the tank regulator pressure, it essentially just outputs the pressure in the tank. As long as the pressure differential of 200 psi is there, a reasonable flow rate should be achieved.

Last question: How do I reliably check the output pressure of my reg? My two microgauges show vastly different pressures when I screw the same tank in, one is definitely incorrect (it shows 600 PSI) but can I believe the other one (shows 950 PSI)? Do I need to get a super gauge or something, or is this something I need to take to my local shop to test?The cheap gauges are often not very accurate. Sometimes you can get lucky. A good gauge can run hundreds of dollars. That is why you won't find them on paintball tanks. Even most shops don't have good gauges. A gauge that starts off good often gets damaged just by the constant banging around.

LONEWOLFOO1
04-26-2010, 07:34 PM
Does any company make a 950+ output screw in tank?

Ando
04-26-2010, 08:18 PM
Ninja is coming out with a specially built reg for mags. They're still testing pressure ranges so the final pressures is TBD. Hopefully it'll be adj from 900 to 1100+ psi.
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3336590

athomas
04-27-2010, 05:22 AM
You can make any tank output pressure higher by shimming the current regulator spring. Some are just easier to do than others.