PDA

View Full Version : automag newbie says hello!... and help.

lilstinkr
05-04-2010, 10:22 AM
automag newbie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hello all! ive been playing pb for about 10 years off and on. nothing seriouse just fun with friends. I own an icon led,view loader, (see, nothing high end).
i was in a pawnshop last week and saw a pb marker for 99 bucks. so we haggled a lil and now i am a proud owner of an auto mag.gonna try to post these pics of it because to tell you all the truth i don't even know what i have. i had never even heard of an auto mag. Oh, i finally got the guy down to 25 bucks! whatadeal!....i hope...so if any of you auto mag eficianadoes could help a po boy out and give me some feedback it would be much apreciated.

Ando
05-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Oooooooooooo...Snap!!!

Got another one guys

Welcome to the Mag community brother and good snag on the mag. :clap:

behemoth
05-04-2010, 11:36 AM
so if any of you auto mag eficianadoes could help a po boy out and give me some feedback it would be much apreciated.

Well, If you've been playing for 10yrs, I can assume you're not 13.

Please stop typing like you are.

Welcome to AO, enjoy your stay.

lilstinkr
05-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Ok, i will work on the grammar. I can't seem to figure out how to post a pic. I tried useing jpeg but got a warning that i was doing it wrong. So I looked on the rules/ ban list, etc. no luck. So i will apologize in advance for my ignorance. Can someone tell me how to do it or at least direct me to the information.
and thanks Ando, glad to be here. I hope to learn alot from you guys, you have some very interesting articles. I've had the gun for a week and I think I'm in love! hehe!

Ando
05-04-2010, 12:34 PM
Use photobucket.com

lilstinkr
05-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Use photobucket.com
hey, thanks man!

http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab342/lilstinkr_photo/paintball/th_IMG00261-20100430-1953.jpg (http://s878.photobucket.com/albums/ab342/lilstinkr_photo/paintball/?action=view&current=IMG00261-20100430-1953.jpg)

http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab342/lilstinkr_photo/paintball/th_68autosomethinganother.jpg (http://s878.photobucket.com/albums/ab342/lilstinkr_photo/paintball/?action=view&current=68autosomethinganother.jpg)

kcombs9
05-04-2010, 04:33 PM
^^

Nice snag. id say if its in working condition its worth least 175?

the double trigger is the best part imo. I'm not a fan of twist lock bodies/barrels so that would be the first thing to go...

the classic valve can get up to 13+bps so that will last you tell you can get an rt/x-valve :shooting:

enjoy :cheers: let us know how it works

mpsd
05-04-2010, 04:51 PM
From what I see in the pics, you have done a great deal. This gun should be worth between $120 to $150. It has:

- Powerfeed twistlock body
- AM/MM rail
- Classic valve
- SP barrel (teardrop?)
- Bechmark double trigger frame
- and a stupidly looooooooong drop LOL

Good catch.

:cheers:

ProblemKinder
05-05-2010, 03:47 AM
25 bucks? it probably doesn't work. lemme dispose of it for you :ninja:

athomas
05-05-2010, 05:40 AM
Definately a good deal. Thats a Kapp drop forward. They sold for more than $25.00, let alone getting a whole double trigger gun setup with it.

lilstinkr
05-05-2010, 07:41 AM
I want to thank you all for the info on my new (to me) gun. I have tried it out and it works great. All I have right now is a few 20oz Co2 bottles to put on it. I have read a few threads stateing that some form of hp bottle should be used. Does it shoot better with hp? Or is it because of the moisture related with Co2?

sorry problemchild(yeh, I lived in germany) I think I'll hang on to this one. But thanks for the offer.

Ando
05-05-2010, 07:59 AM
I want to thank you all for the info on my new (to me) gun. I have tried it out and it works great. All I have right now is a few 20oz Co2 bottles to put on it. I have read a few threads stateing that some form of hp bottle should be used. Does it shoot better with hp? Or is it because of the moisture related with Co2?

sorry problemchild(yeh, I lived in germany) I think I'll hang on to this one. But thanks for the offer.
Won't you have a popo problems with that marker in Germany? What part do you live at, I use to live around Wurzburg.

fishmishin
05-05-2010, 08:09 AM
Yes they run a lot better on hpa. They will run on hpa, but you may need a expansion chamber, and a anti-siphon tube in your co2 tank. The biggest problem with the co2 is drawing liquid co2 into the valve. If you are planning on sticking with co2 I have everything you will need to set up the expansion chamber, exp chamber & vertical adapter in my misc sale thread. I would recommend moving over to hpa though. Its much easier on the internals in the valve and way more consistent as far as velocity goes. With co2 you velocity tends to vary a lot. Welcome aboard to the mag community. You will find just about every piece of info you could ever need to know about mags via a quick search. Oh and nice snag, you got an awesome deal.

Here is my sale thread in case you want to look at the exp chambers and a VA. Both are in the 14th pic. I would suggest the black benchmark exp chamber between the 3 red ones.
http://automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=250615

lilstinkr
05-05-2010, 09:50 AM
Won't you have a popo problems with that marker in Germany? What part do you live at, I use to live around Wurzburg.

don't live there anymore, lived in Shweinfurt for 3 years. Army. had some good times in Wurzburg, Green Goose! And a hgreat castle there.

Ando
05-05-2010, 01:26 PM
don't live there anymore, lived in Shweinfurt for 3 years. Army. had some good times in Wurzburg, Green Goose! And a hgreat castle there.
ROFL....

I loved the "The Lighthouse" drinks and the huge Long Island Iced Tea they had there we're the best. My beer of choice there was Kill Kenny. I would kill just for a taste. :D

When were you there? I was there in the military too from 98-00

lilstinkr
05-10-2010, 01:06 PM
ROFL....

I loved the "The Lighthouse" drink and the huge Long Island Iced Tea they had there. My beer of choice there was Kill Kenny. I would kill just for a taste. :D

When were you there? I was there in the military too from 98-00

96-99. Lotta great memories, too bad I was too young to think about taking pics of the beautiful country. And yes, I too long for the kill kenny. Did you ever go to the Kruitzburg Monastary?Must be the best beer in the world! And man those munks can drink! hehe :cheers:

lilstinkr
05-10-2010, 01:13 PM
Yes they run a lot better on hpa. They will run on hpa, but you may need a expansion chamber, and a anti-siphon tube in your co2 tank. The biggest problem with the co2 is drawing liquid co2 into the valve. If you are planning on sticking with co2 I have everything you will need to set up the expansion chamber, exp chamber & vertical adapter in my misc sale thread. I would recommend moving over to hpa though. Its much easier on the internals in the valve and way more consistent as far as velocity goes. With co2 you velocity tends to vary a lot. Welcome aboard to the mag community. You will find just about every piece of info you could ever need to know about mags via a quick search. Oh and nice snag, you got an awesome deal.

Here is my sale thread in case you want to look at the exp chambers and a VA. Both are in the 14th pic. I would suggest the black benchmark exp chamber between the 3 red ones.

Ya, I'm seriously thinking about stepping up to hpa. I just hate to have half my stuff co2, and half hpa. But if i'm going to run an auto mag looks I need to. so I'll look into your stock for a tank and other stuff. By the way... What other stuff do i need? As you know I'm just getting my feet wet in this area of things. Thanks for all the help so far.

VailSkibum
05-10-2010, 04:12 PM
I suggest you feed your new addiction here:
Official Automag Pictures Thread (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5895&page=70&pp=30) :wow:
Careful, there's no known cure.

Ando
05-10-2010, 06:54 PM
96-99. Lotta great memories, too bad I was too young to think about taking pics of the beautiful country. And yes, I too long for the kill kenny. Did you ever go to the Kruitzburg Monastary?Must be the best beer in the world! And man those munks can drink! hehe :cheers:
Ya. A few of the guys would run out there on keg runs for parties. I went out on 2 trips and again coming back from Munich for Oktoberfest.

Runamok
05-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Welcome Stinker!
You got a steal on that Mag. But don't let those guys rag you on the drop fwd. My "Baby" (my 1st Mag) is set up with an Air America Apocalypse with a 114 / 3000 tank. Only thing bigger is a SCUBA tank. I had to build my drop to balance the weight of the tank and reg. And it's long!And it doesn't even have a pedigree, But I love the balance point being right over the field strip screw. Feels good to me ,and Tweek out your Mag to your liking.Meet you in the middle!

lilstinkr
05-19-2010, 11:26 AM
First off, I would like to thank all of you again for the info and links. Very helpful. Now you all know I want to go some sort of Hp tank route. So here inlies the question, what's a decent price? Is weight the only difference between carbon fibre and steel? will my gun take the abuse of more psi without modification? Thanks for any advice you can give. I cant wait for monsoon season to quit so i can go shoot somebody!

ps. Does anybody have suggestions/opinions on the Qloader? I've seen some pretty trick setups using them and i was thinking about trying one. :shooting:

CatoRockwell
05-19-2010, 11:34 AM
carbon fiber, is lighter and you can do 4500. If you want to do higher output pressure your mag should be fine, just be careful on that macro line, they have specific tolerances.

P.s. Stay away from the qloader. They work fine, but they limit your interactions with other players (you can't give each other paint) plus they are very specific on paint, and fragile paint they may break, causing the cleanup nightmare of a lifetime.

I used to run with a qloader, until I went to D-Day for the first time last year, the paint swelled in the humid air, and got just slightly too big and the qloader wouldn't feed, I ended up going and buying a Invert Too hopper, which fortunately for me was only $40 at the time.

Point is, they are fun when they are working, and I got mine working very well, but if you ever want to play at events, or don't want a hassle, with tuning the spring, and cleaning up breaks in the coil that will inevitably happen; then steer clear of this thing.

EDIT: Oh and did I mention that they are a Pain in the @$$ to load at any event with different deadzones?

mpsd
05-19-2010, 11:38 AM
First off, I would like to thank all of you again for the info and links. Very helpful. Now you all know I want to go some sort of Hp tank route. So here inlies the question, what's a decent price? Is weight the only difference between carbon fibre and steel? will my gun take the abuse of more psi without modification? Thanks for any advice you can give. I cant wait for monsoon season to quit so i can go shoot somebody!

ps. Does anybody have suggestions/opinions on the Qloader? I've seen some pretty trick setups using them and i was thinking about trying one. :shooting:

Regarding the air tanks:
- Difference between steel/aluminum and carbon fibre tanks is that the CF ones can handle up to 4500 psi while the metal ones can only go up to 3000 psi. On a Mag, I'd recommend going with 4500. The more psi, the more shots you get between reffils.
- Those pressures are the maximum pressures inside the tank, not the output. The output is usually regulated at 800 psi, which is about the same thing a CO2 tank puts off so no need for any adjustments or changes to the valve. Of course there are air regulators that are set to lower or higher pressures than 800 psi but I woudn't recommend anything lower than that for a Mag (don't buy a LP reg).
- As for prices, it depends on what you going for. Air tanks range from $35 and up to $230. I was looking earlier today at Action Village's web site and they have a great promotion for a motorized VL hopper with a 48ci/3000 psi tank for $50. That tank would get you around 400 to 450 shots between reffils so if that's enough for you, I'd jump over that combo.
- If you buy a tank, either new or used, pay attention to it's expiration date. Air tanks as well as CO2 tanks have to be verified and tested every three or five years (depends on the tank's specs) so if you buy a used tank, be sure you won't have to spend an extra $30 or $40 to get it inspected shortly. If you buy a new tank, try getting a 5 year rated one.

As for the Q-Loader, they are really tricky. I've bought a set and tryed using it but just couldn't. It's still here, taking dust so I should sell it in the next weeks/months. I really didn't like them. But that's just me.

ProblemKinder
05-20-2010, 12:06 AM
Yes they run a lot better on hpa. They will run on co2, but you may need a expansion chamber, and a anti-siphon tube in your co2 tank. The biggest problem with the co2 is drawing liquid co2 into the valve. If you are planning on sticking with co2 I have everything you will need to set up the expansion chamber, exp chamber & vertical adapter in my misc sale thread. I would recommend moving over to hpa though. Its much easier on the internals in the valve and way more consistent as far as velocity goes. With co2 you velocity tends to vary a lot. Welcome aboard to the mag community. You will find just about every piece of info you could ever need to know about mags via a quick search. Oh and nice snag, you got an awesome deal.

1. The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters. :rolleyes:

bound for glory
05-20-2010, 06:36 AM
hey josh! go easy on the guy. would i correct you for tying your boot laces wrong ;)