PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

harleywrench001
05-04-2010, 11:54 AM
I've been playing since I was 10 (now 27) but I took about 5 years off when I joined the army.

I've been back into the sport for a year and a half now have a classic automag and a few other

markers but I just received my tax check and I want a mag set up as fast and light as

possible. I haven't messed with E-Mags or Pneumags so I don't know which is better, i.e.

faster. Also not even real sure excactly how a Pneumag works. I do realize that I need an

X-Valve and level 10 but what other suggestions. Also if anyone has a mag set up about as

good as you can get that wants to sell it let me know. Thanks in advance.

xero28
05-04-2010, 12:05 PM
For someone who was in the same boat as you a few years ago (stated balling at 13, took a few years off at 20, picked it back up four years ago, I'm 30 now), I have ended up with an EgoMag. Here is a little bit of a process through my Mag life:

http://automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=250227&highlight=project

This doesn't include the stock Classic mag that I started out with, the MicroMag I picked up, or the standard Pneu-Mag that I made. I love the EgoMag. It is light (under 2 1/2 pounds), fast (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egIj09o80aI) and just all around sweet. One of the best shooters I've ever handled. It was surprisingly easy to assemble as well, though if you're not technically inclined, there are plenty of people who would be able to assemble one for you. Welcome back to the fray, good luck with your new (and endless) project. :shooting:

harleywrench001
05-04-2010, 02:11 PM
For someone who was in the same boat as you a few years ago (stated balling at 13, took a few years off at 20, picked it back up four years ago, I'm 30 now), I have ended up with an EgoMag. Here is a little bit of a process through my Mag life:

http://automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=250227&highlight=project

This doesn't include the stock Classic mag that I started out with, the MicroMag I picked up, or the standard Pneu-Mag that I made. I love the EgoMag. It is light (under 2 1/2 pounds), fast (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egIj09o80aI) and just all around sweet. One of the best shooters I've ever handled. It was surprisingly easy to assemble as well, though if you're not technically inclined, there are plenty of people who would be able to assemble one for you. Welcome back to the fray, good luck with your new (and endless) project. :shooting:

So how do you go about building an EgoMag b/c that sounds like the best setup.

xero28
05-04-2010, 03:04 PM
So how do you go about building an EgoMag b/c that sounds like the best setup.

Take a look through some of the threads about PneuMags and how they work and see how those are set up. Here is a thread about EgoMags:

http://automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=245213&highlight=egomag

Basically, all PneuMags use a pneumatic piston running off of a low pressure regulator (LPR). The piston (the most common one is a MPA-3) hits the sear (which has the trigger rod removed) to fire the gun. In a PneuMag, the low pressure air going to the piston is controlled by a 3-way (most commonly used is a MSV-2). This is triggered by a rod behind the trigger of the gun (usually in an Intelliframe).

So, in EgoMags, the same piston is used, but the 3-way is replaced by an electronic one (this is the one I have http://www.airsoldier.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AOS&Product_Code=SMC-S070C-SDG-32&Category_Code=SOLENOIDS It's the smallest available, Loguzzzzzz here on AO can hook you up, as he did me). This 3-way is then controlled by the electronic board in the trigger frame.

Really, the hardest thing to do is mount the MPA-3 (piston) in the correct spot in the trigger frame to make sure it hits the sear correctly, everything else is just running pneumatic tubing and wires around and finding places for them to fit.

Here is a little info on my build.

http://automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=247559&highlight=etekmag

Also, make sure you look for older Ego frames since the newer ones have a bunch of curves along the top and won't sit flush with the rail. The one I have is from an Etek Ego (I guess it's the low-end Ego or something, but it works great).

Honestly, there are a lot of other people with much more experience than I have building these (Loguzzzzzz for example), but I'd be happy to help you out any way I can.

:cheers:

SCpoloRicker
05-04-2010, 03:14 PM
If you aren't married to the idea of shooting a mag, I would point you towards a used AKA Viking or Excalibur. Fast enough for most field limits, dead on reliable. Plus they are one of the companies I always liked.

I owned a DevilMag, one of the early custom run e/pneu mag builds. If you are a tinkerer, there is plenty to be done with the Mag platform. Lots of good info here on the board, and guys will help you out.

Smoothice
05-04-2010, 03:24 PM
If you aren't married to the idea of shooting a mag, I would point you towards a used AKA Viking or Excalibur. Fast enough for most field limits, dead on reliable. Plus they are one of the companies I always liked.

Never shot one. But aren't they on the heavier side?

xero28
05-04-2010, 03:26 PM

I owned a DevilMag, one of the early custom run e/pneu mag builds. If you are a tinkerer, there is plenty to be done with the Mag platform. Lots of good info here on the board, and guys will help you out.

And though I gave you all of the info about the EgoMag, I'll agree with this. I also own an AKA Viking. It's a great shooter (though slightly heavier, but they can be milled and lightened). They are built extremely well, very similar to AGD's rigorous tolerances.

xero28
05-04-2010, 03:27 PM
Never shot one. But aren't they on the heavier side?

My stock '03 Viking with CP ASA, 2-Liter, and battery weighs exactly 3 pounds.

harleywrench001
05-04-2010, 07:45 PM
And though I gave you all of the info about the EgoMag, I'll agree with this. I also own an AKA Viking. It's a great shooter (though slightly heavier, but they can be milled and lightened). They are built extremely well, very similar to AGD's rigorous tolerances.

Well I do really like Mags and I was under the impression that Mags are about the fastest mech marker you can build. To to help with the advice you guys are giving ( greatly appreciated by the way) Yes I am a tinkerer and the first thing I do when getting a new marker is take it apart and learn all the ins and outs. I had myself talked into buying a new ego but I mostly play woodsball with a little speedball mixed in and I want something built tough that shoots fast. I'll check out the vikings but probably still want to build a Mag.

harleywrench001
05-06-2010, 09:28 AM
OK, decided to build a pneumag and probably end up w/ and egomag. Ordered a pneumag kit w/ magnet mod, Phoenix body, X-vavle w/ level 10, and I think a buddy of mine has an Etek 2 frame and board from where he added a star frame. The only thing that I can't get right now is the electronic solenoid, there sold out here: http://www.airsoldier.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AOS&Product_Code=SMC-S070C-SDG-32&Category_Code=SOLENOIDS and I can't find them anywhere else. Sound good so far?

xero28
05-06-2010, 10:07 AM
OK, decided to build a pneumag and probably end up w/ and egomag. Ordered a pneumag kit w/ magnet mod, Phoenix body, X-vavle w/ level 10, and I think a buddy of mine has an Etek 2 frame and board from where he added a star frame. The only thing that I can't get right now is the electronic solenoid, there sold out here: http://www.airsoldier.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AOS&Product_Code=SMC-S070C-SDG-32&Category_Code=SOLENOIDS and I can't find them anywhere else. Sound good so far?

Sounds good, should work well for you, only if you do go with the EgoMag, you will not need the entire PneuMag kit, just the piston, you won't need the MSV-2 or the mag mod. You will also need a low pressure regulator. Palmer's Micro-Rocks are among the best, but really any should do. Contact Loguzzzzzz here on AO for the solenoid. I got mine from him and I believe he has more of them. Good luck with the build, sounds like a nice one.

Bigwooly1013
05-06-2010, 02:42 PM
hmmm on this topic. i'm wondering m-90 frame + ego board = easy win? Just not sure about where or how to mount the board. or am i missing a big piece like trigger?

harleywrench001
05-06-2010, 04:22 PM
hmmm on this topic. i'm wondering m-90 frame + ego board = easy win? Just not sure about where or how to mount the board. or am i missing a big piece like trigger?

M-90 frames are nice, just trying to decide exactly how much money I want ties up in this thing. I know as soon as I get the Phoenix Body I'm only gonna want the best to go on it though. :D

ProblemKinder
05-06-2010, 10:46 PM
i say go Pneu-mag. that's just me. I like to stay as mechanical as I can (exception being hopper, of course)

usagi_tetsu
05-07-2010, 09:08 AM
I'd say start out with a fairly stock 'mag that meets your lightness requirements - ULE body, ULE rail, X-Valve, your choice of frame (intelliframe or y-frame, would be my choices), and the so-called "bicycle" foregrip - and then go pneumag later on if you feel you're not getting enough out of the more basic setup.

harleywrench001
05-07-2010, 11:09 AM
I'd say start out with a fairly stock 'mag that meets your lightness requirements - ULE body, ULE rail, X-Valve, your choice of frame (intelliframe or y-frame, would be my choices), and the so-called "bicycle" foregrip - and then go pneumag later on if you feel you're not getting enough out of the more basic setup.

Already running a classic (not lightened) and I would like a little more speed and lightened trigger. Plus I can't do anything half way, it's always balls to the wall. :headbang: :shooting: