PDA

View Full Version : Marker efficiency

Gadget
05-05-2010, 07:15 AM
My Google-fu skills have failed me, so wondered if anyone else could help.

Having recently got into scenario play, air efficiency has jumped up my list of priorities when choosing a marker. Has anyone tested a range of markers to establish relative efficiency?

Any recommendations on an efficient make/model of marker (for some reason Bob Long and AKA are ringing bells, but I've no idea why)?

xero28
05-05-2010, 09:03 AM
Not YET. :ninja:

PanzerGen
05-05-2010, 09:15 AM
Both newer Bob Long markers (especially the Vice and Protege) and AKA markers can be extremely efficent when setup properly. I currently own a Vice with a low pressure poppit, and it gets right around 1800 shots per 68/4500. With the standard poppet, 2000 shots is considered the norm (I believe most AKA markers get around that number with the same tank).

Loneassassin
05-05-2010, 09:54 AM
High end poppit guns tend to be a lot more efficient than spool valve guns (and I'm sorry to say, Mags are spool-valved and don't get the greatest efficiency.)

Poppit guns that are efficient include Autocockers :shooting: , Bob Long Intimidators and all of their various models, MacDev Cyborgs, Egos, etc. But they all have to be set properly to obtain maximum efficiency. A good base estimate would be about 16-1700 shots off a 68/4500 tank. I get 2000 shots with my MQ-valved E-cocker, and about 17-1800 with my standard valved mech cocker.

Low-end poppit guns tend to be very inefficient, such as Tippmanns, Spyders, etc. It boggles my mind how many woodsballers and scenario players choose these guns when they are (in my opinion) the worst possible options for that style of play. (Heavy, gas-hogs, hard on paint, LOUD, etc....)

Some spool-valve guns are getting better on efficiency - I've heard that MacDev's Droid gets about 1500 shots on a 68/45.

For me, anything over about 1200 shots on my 68/4500 is acceptable for scenario play, because it's not like I'm going to survive that long and won't be able to go back and refill.

In one medium sized scenario I played in (125 people per team), I shot just over 1 case of paint in two days. And that was with my Cocker set to PSP ramping 15bps. And I easily shot 70+ people over the course of the two days. It really just depends on your style of play. I get up in the front lines as quickly as possible and use really short bursts of fire (and usually get eliminations), as opposed to the play style where you stay back further and unload gobs of paint at the other team. (both styles can be effective :cheers: ). If you fall into that second category, you might want to consider a highly efficient gun.

Gadget
05-05-2010, 01:06 PM
Thanks - reason I ask was that I was at a big game event on Sunday and ran my X-valved mag in the morning but found myself running out of air before I ran out of paint (carrying 5 locklids and a rotor with 4000psi fills). Tried my old clunker Ion in the afternoon and had a similar issue.

Ironically I've got an Angel 1 with magno valve and boost bolt which sounds like it would probably have been a better bet, but sidelined it due to a leaky ram, doh! :)

Very tempted to pick up a Viking to try, shame the $/£ exchange rate sucks for me at the moment!

GoatBoy
05-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Low-end poppit guns tend to be very inefficient, such as Tippmanns, Spyders, etc. It boggles my mind how many woodsballers and scenario players choose these guns when they are (in my opinion) the worst possible options for that style of play. (Heavy, gas-hogs, hard on paint, LOUD, etc....)

Haha... so true.

How much paint are you guys flinging before having to head back to some form of resupply? Aren't you limited to what you are wearing? Or do you guys have people bring you paint in the field or something?

If your gun can make 1000 shots off a single fill... Do you typically wear more than 1000 rounds? (Roughly, 6 pods and a full hopper.)

Loneassassin
05-05-2010, 01:54 PM
The most paint I've ever carried in a game was 6 pods and a hopper (scenario game). I only did that for one session of the scenario and then backed it off to 4 pods and a hopper. That's the most I'm willing to carry and still be able to play the way I like. I just couldn't stand the way it felt to have that much paint - I couldn't run or move nearly as fast.

Most of the time in woodsball or speedball, even tournaments, I only carry 3 pods and a hopper. I rarely get into that 3rd pod, even in long woodsball games.

kcombs9
05-05-2010, 02:03 PM
I run an 88/45 so its not the same but I run hopper and 4 pods and never worry about running out of either. x-valve emag btw