PDA

View Full Version : Tank Question - Leaking tanks

gofarlow
05-06-2010, 11:49 AM
I recently had 2 tanks hydro tested. One was an old steel tank, forget the specs, and the other was a crossfire 88\4500. Both past, but when filled with air they leak out of the pin hole on the valve. I am going back to the store tonight that sent them out to see if they will honor anything to fix them, but I doubt they will.

Any ideas on what the issue may be and if they are fixable?

thanks,

Gary

Bigwooly1013
05-06-2010, 02:17 PM
I recently had 2 tanks hydro tested. One was an old steel tank, forget the specs, and the other was a crossfire 88\4500. Both past, but when filled with air they leak out of the pin hole on the valve. I am going back to the store tonight that sent them out to see if they will honor anything to fix them, but I doubt they will.

Any ideas on what the issue may be and if they are fixable?

thanks,

Gary
most likely some o-rings bad in the regs.

crossfire regs are notorious for those o-rings drying out if they sit a long time before they are hydro'd. crossfire will rebuild the reg for 20 + shipping. or if you are brave there are ways to rebuild the old crossfire's at home although i will not post any of the info cause it's..........................interesting to say the least.

also a standard hydro doesn't include and kind of reg rebuild so there's nothing the store did wrong if the regs are leaking.

I learned this lesson the hard way on a batch of old out of hydro tanks i purchased.

ended up rebuilding like 5 regs out of what should have been profits..... you live you learn.

paintmann111
05-06-2010, 06:41 PM
The regs are taken off so the tank can be hooked up and tested. Whatever caused that oring to go bad was not the shops fault unless they somehow banged the reg enought to break or damage and oring.