PDA

View Full Version : Weird Hydro Question

Frizzle Fry
05-08-2010, 09:15 PM
So, most tanks have a 4 year hydro and can only be hydrotested 5 times, right? I've often taken that to mean that a tank has a 20 year lifespan maximum.

My question is this; is it actually a 20 year life span? Or is it that you can only have it hydro'ed 5 times? Could a tank that's been hydro'ed only a few times over its 18 years of life (and been out of hydro for a few years, unused, before being tested again) still have more than just 2 years of use and play left in it?

Fatalis
05-08-2010, 09:20 PM
You have 3 year tanks and 5 year tanks. I believe, correct me if I am wrong, but they can only have a life date of 15 years.

Frizzle Fry
05-08-2010, 09:23 PM
You have 3 year tanks and 5 year tanks. I believe, correct me if I am wrong, but they can only have a life date of 15 years.

Right, one of my fiber air tanks (not for paintball) does not have a life date stamped, and has only been hydro'ed twice (out of hydro for 3 years, was only re-hydrotested one time). I'm wondering if the thing is worth having hydro'tested if it's only going to be good for 2 years.

Also, does anyone know whether 13ci HPA tanks fall under the same OD rule as 9oz C02 tanks?

Hobbez
05-09-2010, 08:34 AM
Carbon fiber tanks have a 15 year lifespan, but there is no limit on times hydro'd. You can have it tested every day if you wanted, but when its 15 years old, your tester should refuse to pass it. As far as the 13ci tank, i know if its fiber, it still needs to be tested. No idea about aluminum hpi tanks.