PDA

View Full Version : How come #2

Beemer
05-09-2010, 12:42 AM
How come we use a 3000 or 4500psi pressure vessal to start up stream and we dont give a second thought to what pressures or rateing the hardware we use down stream will see.

So ya send your set up out to a third party to be tested. Didnt someone do that.

I got a third how come thread in mind. Then I guess a thread on why I think[or how] this game or hobby [it clearly aint a sport]I love so much got stupid.

mostpeople
05-09-2010, 12:52 AM
How come we use a 3000 or 4500psi pressure vessal to start up stream and we dont give a second thought to what pressures or rateing the hardware we use down stream will see.

So ya send your set up out to a third party to be tested. Didnt someone do that.

I got a third how come thread in mind. Then I guess a thread on why I think[or how] this game or hobby [it clearly aint a sport]I love so much got stupid.

I'll give you a hint, you're not part of the solution to that question. Further proof of that will be that I know you will ban me for saying this.

cya

Beemer
05-09-2010, 02:13 AM
I'll give you a hint, you're not part of the solution to that question. Further proof of that will be that I know you will ban me for saying this.

cya

LOL who said anything about a solution let alone banning you. When was it ban worthy asking questions or for help on AO? If you have an issue with me feel free to PM or Mail me as many other members have. You can hate me as a Mod but you have no reason to hate me as a contributing member for asking questions.

Maghog
05-09-2010, 06:18 AM
You're starting on the back end of this one Beemer. It would be much more important to know how it is that we are letting people set up their fill cylinders and air systems without any kind of certification whatsoever. The equipment's shortcomings are secondary to me.
When constant air came around, everyone started messing around with it. Me included. I did many things that I was not supposed to, and I had quite a few hair raising encounters as a result. I decided to get informed, and I'm much better off for it.
Here on AO, I'd wager that the majority of us are filling and using high pressure cylinders properly. I have seen first hand how some field owners have faulty, or even downright dangerous fill stations.
There's no accountability, no regulations, and there probably will never be any.
Oddly enough, the track record speaks for itself. There are remarkably few incidents involving high pressure, at least nothing major.
I've seen plenty of tampering and false assembly that it amazes me that there are not more accidents. Unless something jolts the status quo, then nothing will change.
So I'll say you're original question is a good one, it's even one of the very basic no-no's of airsmithing.
You're other question about the fill nipple is also good, but you know as well as any of us, that if you came out with separate fill nipples, people wiould just start messing around with those as well.
I think in the end it speaks more towards worrying about the way that we operate fill stations all together. It's one thing to tinker with the mechanics of a gun, but it's tampering with air in anyway is very dangerous.
I took a safety course on maintenance and care for pressure cylinders once, and it was very helpful to me and the people who I played with. Most gas supply companies offer one or know where to go. I can only say that it's worth it.
Dan@Triggernomics

mostpeople
05-09-2010, 04:19 PM
LOL who said anything about a solution let alone banning you. When was it ban worthy asking questions or for help on AO? If you have an issue with me feel free to PM or Mail me as many other members have. You can hate me as a Mod but you have no reason to hate me as a contributing member for asking questions.

I don't hate people for anything they do on the internet, its all petty. You've banned me for less beemer, but calling you out, now its hard for you to ban me this time in front of people who have seen the posts.

You're part of the problem, quit being a mod here and be part of the solution.

Smoothice
05-09-2010, 06:14 PM
I don't hate people for anything they do on the internet, its all petty. You've banned me for less beemer, but calling you out, now its hard for you to ban me this time in front of people who have seen the posts.

You're part of the problem, quit being a mod here and be part of the solution.

Sounds like you are in love with Beemer. Keep pulling his pig tails...

mostpeople
05-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Beemer has pigtails?

GoatBoy
05-09-2010, 08:20 PM

Your view of the history of paintball seems to differ from mine.

Are you saying that there was ever a Golden Age in paintball when it wasn't stupid? When it attracted engineering and scientifically minded people en masse? Or even *educated* people? Or even thoughtful people who really cared?

I don't recall that time. Ever.

LK-13
05-10-2010, 10:20 AM
actually there is an applicable certification, but it is not compulsory.
here in Canada you can get a certification to work on or fill SCUBA Equipment as part of your Dive certification or as a stand alone piece of paper.

there is a similar certificate available for working with hydraulic / pneumatic systems but again not compulsory.

I buy most of my bits and pieces from a hydraulic parts supplier and make sure things are rated 10X over instead of the 3X the industry calls for.

maybe over kill, but it doesn't cost anymore and no one will ever be injured by my gear.
that's the only thing I really care about.

d4m4don3
05-10-2010, 10:35 AM
This is America Beemer, for things to change the industry as a whole would have to get hit right where it hurts, in the pocketbooks. That will take a serious lawsuit and possible government intervention.

CatoRockwell
05-10-2010, 11:27 AM
Thats exactly what I'm afraid of, the last thing anyone needs is the government telling them what to do. Government shouldn't be our nanny.

Beemer
05-10-2010, 09:14 PM
maybe over kill, but it doesn't cost anymore and no one will ever be injured by my gear. that's the only thing I really care about.

Ding ding, thats the right and SMART thing right there. Yet I am supposed to trust my SAFETY to stupid. Nobody gets it. The STUPID affects MY safety not just the stupid. But really you should care about the stupid injuring you or being a risk to your safety. Thats the point. I know for a fact my GUN is as safe as it can be in a goggle off zone. How do I know OR trust that the stupids gun is. I dont and at times I feel I should have my gogs on in a SAFE zone. :(

Thats exactly what I'm afraid of, the last thing anyone needs is the government telling them what to do. Government shouldn't be our nanny.

Well when we prove we cant govern ourselves thats what will happen and its obvious to me we cant. It took two DEATHS from lawn darts or jarts and the CPSC BANNED them. Remember we are at two deaths now for what ever the reason with the gear we use. I know there is the stupid factor but the gov dont care.

You dont have to take my word for it but I have talked to some doctors, lawyers, engineers and some folks at the CPSC and when they hear and see how things are done you know what I hear? Well thats not very smart or thats stupid. One doctor that was shown some pics of welts said, what ever you are doing to cause that, stop it.

I could elaborate more but I am not at liberty to use names or quote people. One reason for this is nobody has any testing for much to be looked at.

One person I talked to said I could quote him only if I showed him some test results to review. But its ok to bunker you at five feet at 280fps at 10bps. :tard:

CatoRockwell
05-10-2010, 11:09 PM
Not to discount what you said, but doctors don't know everything. They are taught one school of reactive medicine and many of them assume they know everything because they went to medical school. But that's for a different thread in a different section of the forum.

I've been shot by paintballs for over 13 years, and no permanent damage has ever been done. Other than the fact that I bruise less easily now. Next I'm going to hear that the paint from the gel capsules gives you cancer ;)

Again, back to the subject, I think that it should be left to personal choice, I'm careful about filling my tanks, and if I owned a compressor I wouldn't let just any jack@$$ fill his own tank.

Just because I personally feel this way, doesn't mean I believe that this should be protocol for everyone else. If you want to take extra safety precautions with your equipment, property, and land thats cool. By no means does that mean everyone else should have to do it.

It should always be left up to personal choice, if you don't think a certain field has strict enough safety requirements, then don't play at that field, don't buy that person's equipment, etc...

Beemer
05-10-2010, 11:35 PM
Guess I railed my own thread. :argh:

Thats the point we dont even have protocol to follow. Dont even get me started on slam or flash fills. Everyone should have to follow safety protocol but what is it.

Beemer
05-10-2010, 11:57 PM
Your view of the history of paintball seems to differ from mine.

Are you saying that there was ever a Golden Age in paintball when it wasn't stupid? When it attracted engineering and scientifically minded people en masse? Or even *educated* people? Or even thoughtful people who really cared?

I don't recall that time. Ever.

Yup thats exactly what I am saying. Started playing in 86. When did you start playing. To bad you missed it.

fishmishin
05-11-2010, 12:35 AM
I have often thought about other peoples gear while at the field. I know all it takes is that one idiot that has no clue to really hurt someone. I have been smacked by a remote while standing in line waiting to fill my tank. The player in front of me hooked his remote up to his tank before filling his tank, which would have been fine if he would have checked his connection. What happens? He starts throwing air in his tank and the remote line blows off and cracks me in the knuckles. It wasn't that bad, but it makes me think about the people around me running around with 4500psi bombs. For example, what if some idiot really doesn't know not to put oil in his fill nipple, and you happen to be the closest one to him when it decides to go BOOM ??

I guess at some point you have to hope that the reffs in the chrony stations aren't idiots as well, and may call someone on their stupidity before it does actually have the chance to cause any damage. I guess best thing we can do for now is be safe ourselves, and try our best to help promote safe game play around us. Oh and make sure to shoot Beemer as much as possible at TB4 :D J/k Beemer, glad your making it though.

GoatBoy
05-12-2010, 12:02 AM
Yup thats exactly what I am saying. Started playing in 86. When did you start playing. To bad you missed it.

Yeah, must have been before my time then.

How was HPA safety handled in '86 at the paintball field?

d4m4don3
05-12-2010, 03:26 AM
Yeah, must have been before my time then.

?? It wasn't handled at all? HPA was a later advent.

Frizzle Fry
05-12-2010, 03:40 AM

People waited about a decade for Tom to use it in paintball applications, then started doing what we do now. I'll tell you, you did NOT fill a tank at the field from '96 to '04 unless you worked there, were a friend of the owner, or were on a team (and I mean team, not all the "teams" that you see these days).

Not being a player until the early 90s I never witnessed it firsthand, but from what the guys who got me into the sport say, the paintball from 1990 forward has almost NOTHING to do with what was being played back then. I mean, I see a ton of differences between 1993 and now, but apparently what was going on in upstate NY and western MA in the mid-80s was even more alien than that.

Bigwooly1013
05-12-2010, 07:21 AM
The thing i find even more odd is that of the 6 different fields i've played at in recent times (since i came out of "retirement") not a single one has ever check the hydro date on any of my tanks before allowing me to start filling them.

Now personally i care about having this stuff inspected and maintained because i value my life and the life of those around me.

It was very unusual to me as well when i started back playing again last year after a 9 year hiatus the whole concept of a fill station for HPA. From the time i started playing in 1996 till the time i packed the equipment away in 2001 i never once went to a field where HPA wasn't filled by someone in the proshop.

Some fields it seems almost taboo to even mention the safety topics relating to HPA or even CO2.

My conclusion on the lack of respect for the gear we use now is that as players we've quit demanding the focus to be on safety and pushed for the sport to be more convenient for us.

If i missed some codewords and am off base here then please disregard my post.

Frizzle Fry
05-12-2010, 07:33 AM
I've noticed the same thing as Wooly. Some fields these days are downright annoying with how often they check hydro dates and re-chrono markers, but most I encounter don't check the tank unless it's a big game or event and chrono you once (if at all!) before first game starts. It's sloppy, and it leads to "incidents" that give the sport a bad name.

Recently at Boston Paintball Outdoor, I took the tank cover off my Ninja to get my first fill of the day. The guy filling it didn't check the stamp, but told me that I should buy a tank cover. I responded that I'd taken it off so he could see the hydrotest date, and he looked at me like I was crazy. Granted this kid was probably being conceived around the same time my boots were being stitched, but he was doing all the fills and didn't check a single tank.

This was the day I mentioned in thread #1, where "team" member was filling a 3k tank on a 4.5k station, blew the burst disc, and tossed it on the ground screaming.

CatoRockwell
05-12-2010, 09:13 AM
That sucks where you guys are at, I would recommend not attending events that don't emphasize safety. Here in Utah any big event or shop, will A. check the hydro, unless they know you, like me, I'm always in there, so they don't really check anymore. B. They usually fill it.

I will admit there have been several events I have been to where they let me fill my own tank, and while that is convenient, because I know how to safely check my gear, there are several there that it concerns me that they would be allowed to do that. I definitely agree there should be an emphasis on safety, and any event I host will have a trained individual filling tanks.

I can't control what other people do with their property and liberty, but I definitely complain to event staff when I see a 12 year old filling his own tank.

On a slightly different topic, at a lot of pic up games in the last few years I've noticed a lot of people don't even put barrel condoms on their guns when they come off the field :wow: I tell people to put a barrel condom on, but after a while I just started wearing my mask off/on the field.