PDA

View Full Version : Lying eBay seller?

DoubleDutch
05-09-2010, 08:46 AM
So last night I sniped a Magna loader for $25.51 (plus $5 shipping). I get a message from the seller saying that after going over the hopper, he suddenly discovered that the lid is broken and that "there is something wrong with it" and refunds my money. He asks me not to leave bad feedback.

This morning, he re-lists the hopper with exactly the same description.

My guess is he didn't get what he wanted for it and wants to try again. Other than leaving bad feedback (which I fully intend to do), is there anything else I can do?

Original sale:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260597945848

Relisted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260599759690

Message he sent me:

hello i regret to inform you that i was just going over the hopper
and it
seems that the lid is broken n something is wrong with it .
I am very
sorry for the inconvinence and i will refund you fully. I
would
appreciate it 100% if you would not leave me feedback for
this mistake. i
am very sorry again

thank you very much

-paintballboy93

georgeyew
05-09-2010, 08:58 AM
That's pretty shady. I would contact eBay about it. Or I would call him out on it in his new listing.

reckid1986
05-09-2010, 08:58 AM
report him to ebay. leave bad feedback

marshallf221
05-09-2010, 09:08 AM
Shaddy without a doubt, looking at the pictures of the item there is no lid on the hopper anyway. But you bought it he still has it and unless you agree to cancel the deal since he has the product he is obligated to deliver it to you unless you do not want it. He had no reserve so what you won it for is what is due to him and the hopper is yours. File a complaint with ebay and post negative feedback for the seller. Good luck, but as I see it ebay is on your side and if you used paypal they will be on your side to. :shooting:

Ratt
05-09-2010, 09:14 AM
I say you go after this twerp. Send him a message, and tell him that if he doesn't send you the Magna, then you are going to report him to ebay and leave bad feedback.

CatoRockwell
05-09-2010, 10:46 AM
I say you go after this twerp. Send him a message, and tell him that if he doesn't send you the Magna, then you are going to report him to ebay and leave bad feedback.
I agree, give him a way out to send it to you without involving higher authorities, if he doesn't then take is @$$ down!

reckid1986
05-09-2010, 10:51 AM
we should all blow up his email... :argh:

Ratt
05-09-2010, 12:30 PM
I was feeling a little feisty after reading this thread, so I couldn't help but to call him out on his b.s. I sent him a message thru ebay:

Scammer!! Isn't this the same hopper that you had listed last night? And didn't someone win that hopper for $25? I guess you didn't like the price, so you told the guy that it had a broken lid, refunded his money (without him agreeing to it), and relisted the same item with the same exact description. I hope this guy files a complaint thru ebay. If you don't send him the hopper, you should be kicked off of ebay. You suck.

His reply:

First of all it does have a broken lid . If u want picture proof will do . I'm an honest guy n I'm not selling that one cuz it is broken . This hopper I am selling now is my friends just with my shell on it . I am no scammer . I've never met anyone as rude as u . U don't know the story leave it alone

I call shens...

DoubleDutch
05-09-2010, 02:08 PM
Ok guys, I left bad feedback, tried to start a case but I guess since I got my money back, I couldn't start a dispute. I did send an e-mail though on the case to eBay. I then reported his new auction and put the info in there too.

Oh and thanks for helping me call him out Ratt. He basically sent me the same story after I left the feedback:

This is what he sent me:

well since u dont like to write me back you dont understand the
one i
relisted is my friends with my shell . id be more then happy
to send you
pics to show that the lid is missing o mine im not a
liar or a scammer
or anything like that im just saving you the
trouble of being angry when
you get a broken hopper and if i
was either a liar or a scammer i would
not have refunded you the
minuet i recived my money but i did . please re
consider your
feedback ..
Thank you have a great day

-paintballboy93

I guess I could offer to change my feedback if he sends me a working hopper. I wouldn't trust him enough to pay first though, I'd have him ship first and then only pay after I verify the hopper works.

I am somewhat surprised at the fervor I am getting from this post, and the twin one I got going on MCB. I guess no one likes a scammer because the next person could be you. I am not too terribly upset about this because I didn't lose any money, but I still think it ain't right and that is why I am doing as much as I can to mess him up.

Ratt
05-09-2010, 02:52 PM
Yea, I guess one could say that since you got your money back - no harm, no foul, and you should just let it go. But, it's the 'principallity' of the matter. I have no proof that he is lying, but my gut tells me he is full of it. Yea, I HATE scammers... :mad:

Hobbez
05-09-2010, 07:46 PM
This has happened to me twice so far on ebay. And both times the item was relisted and one resold for 50% more and the other sold for more than double what i paid. And that doesnt evan count the two non-paying bidder complaints that I had to file just this week. There seems to be as many scammers as legitimate buyers\sellers on evilbay these days. Unfortunatly, you can't avoid it anywhere, I lost $150 right here on these forums recently. It makes me sad that I have to be suspicious of everyone... :confused: :cry:

Drix
05-09-2010, 07:59 PM
If your pissed off turn him in, he hasn't done anything for you but piss you off. Sure he was "nice" in returning your money but he diddn't have to.

A bigger slam dunk is: Since you paid paypal for an item that you did not recive, you're still entitled "protection". He returned money to you as a gift- because he gifted money to you (a gift is a gift after all). Paypal will not recognize it as restitution- bad feed back and another 25 bucks in your future my friend.

Beemer
05-09-2010, 08:00 PM
I lost $150 right here on these forums recently. It makes me sad that I have to be suspicious of everyone... :confused: :cry:

Did you leave bad feed back? Explain.........Bad traders get banned here.

Hobbez
05-10-2010, 07:48 AM
Name was djpotter. It was my stupidity, he didnt have feedback. I posted in the bad traders thread, but hes already disapeared so.. :confused: I was trying to set up the wifes marker in a hurry and got bitten. Learned a lesson though. Well, two lessons: research who you trade with: and paypal will just give you the finger if you didnt buy it on ebay....

TwilightG
05-10-2010, 07:54 AM
...and paypal will just give you the finger if you didnt buy it on ebay....

Not entirely true.
There was a guy here, about a year ago, who purchased a whole bunch of parts from various AO members including Cyberave, Hook, and myself.
6 months later, issued a PayPal dispute against everyone he purchased from. I think everyone except me lost their money to him :(

Hobbez
05-10-2010, 08:03 AM
Policies have changed on paypal recently. Be careful how you pay. As of march 10th, if you pay anyone from that second tab, paypal will not protect you. I was told this directly from a paypal CSR on the phone. Her name was Julie, she was nice. I feel bad cause I yelled at her :cry:

Ando
05-10-2010, 08:30 AM
If you do a personal payment, you can't fill a claim and anything over 45 days after the sale the buyer can't file either.

A few other things changed but nothing monetary wise.

There's a good 30 people here that I wouldn't think twice about doing a personal payments to. Big thing with that is like Hobbes said, do your research.

Mongoose
05-10-2010, 08:46 AM
Not entirely true.
There was a guy here, about a year ago, who purchased a whole bunch of parts from various AO members including Cyberave, Hook, and myself.
6 months later, issued a PayPal dispute against everyone he purchased from. I think everyone except me lost their money to him :(

I remember hearing about that....i think the guys wife found out and he tried to play it off so he wouldn't be in trouble with her. I'm pretty sure Cyberave didn't lose any money at the end.

DoubleDutch
05-10-2010, 09:34 PM
Ok so now I've been going back and forth with him through eBay messaging, at least he is a good communicator Haha. I basically told him that the feedback stays unless he sends me the hopper with a lid, as described in the original auction, or give me $10 off so I can get a lid myself. He said he can give me $5 off.

I said OK, still a good deal. I did a "request total", assuming he could adjust the total, maybe by zeroing out the shipping. He told me to just PayPal him $27. I said no way I am completing the transaction outside of eBay, and that is not the price we agreed on anyway. He at first said something about fees, implying that I was responsible for them. I called him on it, and then he said he'd put $5 in the hopper and send it, after I send the full original amount.

What would you do? I don't really trust him very much at this point, but I'd like to have that hopper. Can I trust that eBay will have my back in case he tries to scam me? I have his PayPal info from the original payment and refund, he is not a verified PayPal member. If he is not a verified member, and he scams me, and I open an eBay case, and he closes or abandons his PayPal account, will I be out of my money? It is not that $30 is that much money, but I'd hate to have him "win", you know what I'm saying?

Beemer
05-10-2010, 10:24 PM
Name was djpotter. It was my stupidity, he didnt have feedback. I posted in the bad traders thread, but hes already disapeared so.. :confused: I was trying to set up the wifes marker in a hurry and got bitten. Learned a lesson though. Well, two lessons: research who you trade with: and paypal will just give you the finger if you didnt buy it on ebay....

Ok just to keep it public in talk. He has been banned. If anybody has an issue with a trader PM a Mod. We will watch the bad Trader forum more closely. As of now he is banned here along with a few others I just saw in that forum. Note get your contact info before you post in the bad trader forum. My mail here is public and if you are a bad trader and want to fix it feel free to mail me. "Beemerone at comcast dot net"

I just went thru this with two GOOD members who had issues with a trade. I pissed one of them off but it got worked out.

Ok dont mean to side track but it is relative. Dont dick around on AO with trading, you will get banned fast if we here or see it. I will go make a sticky in the bad trader Forum.

Beemer
05-10-2010, 10:36 PM
Ok so now I've been going back and forth with him through eBay messaging, at least he is a good communicator Haha. I basically told him that the feedback stays unless he sends me the hopper with a lid, as described in the original auction, or give me $10 off so I can get a lid myself. He said he can give me $5 off.

I said OK, still a good deal. I did a "request total", assuming he could adjust the total, maybe by zeroing out the shipping. He told me to just PayPal him $27. I said no way I am completing the transaction outside of eBay, and that is not the price we agreed on anyway. He at first said something about fees, implying that I was responsible for them. I called him on it, and then he said he'd put $5 in the hopper and send it, after I send the full original amount.

What would you do? I don't really trust him very much at this point, but I'd like to have that hopper. Can I trust that eBay will have my back in case he tries to scam me? I have his PayPal info from the original payment and refund, he is not a verified PayPal member, but from there I gather that his name is Joshua Greenstone from Mahwah, New Jersey. Does anyone know him? Claims to be a D1 player, whatever that means. If he is not a verified member, and he scams me, and I open an eBay case, and he closes or abandons his PayPal account, will I be out of my money? It is not that $30 is that much money, but I'd hate to have him "win", you know what I'm saying?

Ya I know what you are saying. See the bolded parts. Dont be stupid. Play him it could be epic. ;) You can get another hopper. Shut this dick down. :ninja:

Ratt
05-11-2010, 07:33 AM
Don't give that tool a single dime. Let the bad feedback stay (give him more bad feed back if you can...), but don't give this guy your money. How many total transactions did that kid have...was it 3 or 4? He is not established. He has no reason to stick around after he takes your money. And if he does stick around, ebay will not help you. Screw him.