PDA

View Full Version : Palmer's Stabs and Level 7 Classic Valves

StealingYerMail
05-10-2010, 10:28 PM
I threw a PPS Stab on my Classic Valve. I want it set at 800psi, correct?

Just wanted to make sure... I'm not too knowledgeable with the Classic Valve yet.

fishmishin
05-11-2010, 12:08 AM
Yep that will be plenty, especially since that is all your going to get out of the stab anyway. ? though, why are you using the stab?

StealingYerMail
05-11-2010, 12:11 AM
I wanted two regs, I was told it wouldn't be a bad idea and I had some spare coin so I figured why not. Every one always asks, "why the Stab?" but the other party seems to think it's a great idea, so I figured it couldn't hurt to try.

But I take it I should set and leave the Stab at 800 then adjust velocity through the Classic Valve, right?

fishmishin
05-11-2010, 12:23 AM
Yes that is correct, you will still adjust the velocity on the markers reg. I imagine you could do it with the stab as well since your using a classic valve and you won't have to worry about shoot down. I was just wondering by the way, thats all.

Spider-TW
05-11-2010, 08:20 AM
The lower you can run the stab, the better efficiency you will get (up to a point). It all backs up on your firing rate and duration, but if you can work with lower pressures around 600, the CO2 is better behaved. There is no cure for freezing a CO2 bottle, but by making better use of the CO2 to start with, you can delay the final freeze.

M600
05-11-2010, 03:58 PM
isnt the output pressure on a hpa bottle 800 psi anyway?

StealingYerMail
05-11-2010, 04:34 PM
It dependson the bottle, butmost seem to be about that.

But I'm running co2 for the time being.

Spider-TW
05-11-2010, 04:55 PM
isnt the output pressure on a hpa bottle 800 psi anyway?
That's a good average [for CO2 ->]. It depends on the temperature. 800 is about the vapor pressure at 70 degrees F. At 90 degrees F, your looking at about 1000 psi ( I have a dinky chart). Half a loader quickly and your down to 600 psi (depending on your bottle size). If your mag charges with cold vapor and warms up, that shot will be hot. The extra reg shifts some of the changes in front of the mag reg and keeps it warmer, longer. It doesn't cure anything, just stretches it out.

Leaving bottles in your car in the sun will usually blow the burst disk, but that doesn't say much around here.

StealingYerMail
05-13-2010, 08:52 PM
I'm getting really bad consistency since I installed the Stab. I'm not talking about new reg fps fluctuations, but I'll be shooting like everywhere. Like I'll chrono five shots and get 246, 246, 178, 304, 240. FPS limit was 250.

I have my Stab at 800psi. I didn't notice any shoot-down on the field and I was using an APP 50rnd hopper. At one point my gun just completely choked like the tank was empty and I got lit up. When I got back to the staging area, the gun worked fine.

So either I had liquid co2 get into the gun or the reg is choking the gun. I'm thinking about removing it. Any suggestions?

Should I try lowering the Stabilizer down to like 6-700 psi?

Spider-TW
05-14-2010, 08:09 AM
I would leave it 800 until you get the fluctuations settled out. This is really the main problem with additional regs, you have the extra trouble shooting and maintenance. Once you have things working right, you can turn it down as low as your highest rate of fire will allow. You might back it down a little, just so that it isn't set to it's highest output all the time.

Did you lube the reg before you installed it? I wouldn't depend on factory grease without at least throwing some oil on top for the first time.

I've heard that you can run a horizontal bottle into a stab, but I wouldn't depend on the stab to beat down a bottle full of liquid.

Make sure your mag valve is well maintained and oiled. The stab will steal a lot of the oil you put in the asa and it's hard to know if the valve got enough. With macro line, I will put a couple of drops in the valve fitting sometimes just to be sure. If you are running macro line, you can put on a long bypass line to check your mag valve if it comes to that.

Since your not shooting very hot, I would think the stab is just sticky.

StealingYerMail
05-14-2010, 12:47 PM
Alright.

I have never serviced a Palmer's Reg, but I;ve serviced enough regs to know what's up. I have a lot of Militia Lube (dow 33). Is that good for the Stabilizer or should I use just oil? To be honest I haven't read the instructions, planned to do that when I actually took it apart.

athomas
05-14-2010, 08:41 PM
Only use a stabilizer on a mag that is using CO2 to help keep liquid out. If you are using HPA, an additional regulator will cause shootdown. The stabilizer should be set around 700psi in order to maintain good flow.

StealingYerMail
05-14-2010, 11:53 PM
Sounds good. I'm rolling co2 for now until a really nearby field can get their compressor in. But I'm getting mixed opinions between 700psi and 800psi.

I would appreciate any insight... gonna buy a bag of paint tomorrow and fine tune it for next week.

athomas
05-15-2010, 07:22 AM
CO2 pressure is about 870psi at room temperature. In order to maintain good flow through a regulator, you need about 200psi pressure difference between the input and output. Setting the output of the stabilizer at 700psi gives 170psi pressure differential. The mag operates at about 450 to 500psi when using a level 10 bolt. Allowing for the 500psi chamber pressure, the input to the valve needs to be about 700psi in order to maintain a good flow rate into the valve. Therefore, the 700psi stabilizer setting achieves a good flow rate for CO2 while maintaining a barrier to keep the liquid CO2 away from the input to the valve.

StealingYerMail
05-17-2010, 12:57 PM
Thanks. I took the Stab off for a bit, but then got a leak down the barrel that stops when I hold the trigger. So that is a powertube o ring fix, right? Does anyone know the size of that o ring?

athomas
05-17-2010, 03:44 PM
I don't know the size of the oring, but it is the same size as the large oring used in the on-off assembly.

StealingYerMail
05-17-2010, 05:34 PM
I called AGD and it turns out they're 010. Just in case that ever helps anyone out.