PDA

View Full Version : Is this a scam, or an idiot, or both?

Frizzle Fry
05-16-2010, 06:54 PM
Quick question...

Found a buyer for one of my markers over on Peanut Butter 'n Nation, we talked, haggled, and came to an agreement on what to pay. I sent him my PayPal address, and he PM'ed me asking me to send a request for payment. I responded telling him he could just make the payment to my email address, and that's the usual method for payment. He still wants me to send him a request :confused:

Is this some sort of scam? Is there some sneaky way that he's trying to screw me? Or his he a paranoid/lazy moron?

Thanks in advance...

MANN
05-16-2010, 07:13 PM
lazy moron, but usually safe

mag79
05-16-2010, 07:15 PM
I do those all the time. You can ask for a paypal invoice or a money request, it actually gives the buyers more protection.

Frizzle Fry
05-17-2010, 03:11 AM
I do those all the time. You can ask for a paypal invoice or a money request, it actually gives the buyers more protection.

So what, I send him a perfectly good working marker, then he turns around and says it doesn't and I get screwed? I'm not sure I want to go down that road.

mag79
05-17-2010, 05:51 AM
So what, I send him a perfectly good working marker, then he turns around and says it doesn't and I get screwed? I'm not sure I want to go down that road.

He can do that either way.

If he starts a dispute paypal will put a hold on your account, they won’t release the funds until he show proof that the item was returned.

The way we all send money around here is unsafe; the good thing is that most of us trust each other.

Send him a money request and put in details:
"This money request if for a dust black automag, includes automag body, classic rail, intelliframe w/ duckbill asa, and fully tuned classic valve”
Further details of the marker: (link your sale thread)

Frizzle Fry
05-17-2010, 06:05 AM
He can do that either way.

If he starts a dispute paypal will put a hold on your account, they won’t release the funds until he show proof that the item was returned.

The way we all send money around here is unsafe; the good thing is that most of us trust each other.

Send him a money request and put in details:
"This money request if for a dust black automag, includes automag body, classic rail, intelliframe w/ duckbill asa, and fully tuned classic valve”
Further details of the marker: (link your sale thread)

I'll try that... I've had 3 people bite on this damn marker and then not pay... I hate PBN.

behemoth
05-17-2010, 03:13 PM
If you send a payment request to someones email, they dont need a paypal account to pay for it.

He's trying to pay you, and you're calling him a lazy moron. :rolleyes:

Send the request, get your money, and ship the gun.

Also: If you havent figured it out, 9/10, you can google a users name, email, aim, whatever, and find out if they're legit or if they have any aliases, etc.

I've bought and sold thousands and thousands of dollars worth of things, and never been screwed once. Coincidence? I think not.

Frizzle Fry
05-17-2010, 04:01 PM
If you send a payment request to someones email, they dont need a paypal account to pay for it.

He's trying to pay you, and you're calling him a lazy moron. :rolleyes:

Send the request, get your money, and ship the gun.

Also: If you havent figured it out, 9/10, you can google a users name, email, aim, whatever, and find out if they're legit or if they have any aliases, etc.

I've bought and sold thousands and thousands of dollars worth of things, and never been screwed once. Coincidence? I think not.

I didn't call him anything, I asked a question because the guy was being squirrelly and I like to stay informed.

The guy already has a PayPal account. He was allegedly waiting for a payment to clear to his account, but he had very low site feedback (sporadic <$10 purchases over a year) and his PayPal account wasn't verified.... Believe it or not, I'm aware that Google exists. It didn't show anything, but it often doesn't with an effective B/S/T scammer. The deal fell through because he refused to provide information, and I ended up selling the marker to an AO'er who was very forthcoming and easy to deal with, so it's a non-issue at this point.

You've gotta start somewhere when it comes to feedback, but I'm always wary of new members to any site that have low feedback. When I encounter a weird situation I ask for other peoples experiences.I've discovered that OTHER PEOPLE have OTHER EXPERIENCES than my own and might be familiar with situations that I am not. :rolleyes:

As far as being screwed goes, it's not as easy as you put it. I've lost markers and money to people who were formerly "well respected members of the paintball community", people who, at the time, nobody would hesitate to do business with. Just like you have to start somewhere with feedback in general, you have to start somewhere with negative feedback...

behemoth
05-17-2010, 04:33 PM
You're right. I apologize. Mann was the one doing the name calling.

Glad you got the situation resolved.

Frizzle Fry
05-17-2010, 04:45 PM
You're right. I apologize. Mann was the one doing the name calling.

Glad you got the situation resolved.

No problem. Sorry for being snappy...

Selling that Etek was a weary experience, but thanks to Correia3 it had a happy ending.

As awesome as it is to shoot mags, it's even better selling them, because the volume of time-wasting spam is at a minimum. Just another reason to love AGD.

I swear I got over 20 PMs on PBNation in the first hour asking about trades ranging from Ipods to Xboxs to (I kid you not) "wicked good" marijuana. Then there were the "not to lowball, but I've got $75ish in PayPal" guys, and finally the two guys who said they were ready to pay... then didn't. It's a freakin' zoo over there, I swear... It's OK as long as you aren't selling a $300-$400 electro, but man oh man is it a dark road to go down if you are :p