PDA

View Full Version : Mini EP mag complete *Pics and Vid*

sslecyk03
05-16-2010, 11:20 PM
So this has been a long journey with this marker and it is finally in working order. It started with just making the thing smaller which led to capping the valve and using an inline sidewinder. Next I converted it to a pneumag and then finally to an ep mag using the scenario dreams T-board. Props to Mag79 for the pneu kit, p8ntbal4me for the UTB, and Deus Machina on MCB for the Cap machining.

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9483/epmaggg.jpg (http://img4.imageshack.us/i/epmaggg.jpg/)

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/1059/epmaggg2.jpg (http://img405.imageshack.us/i/epmaggg2.jpg/)

Now all the internal work was done by me with only a dremel so it isn't exactly the cleanest job. That all gets covered up anyhow though so I'm not too worried about it.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/3038/epmagint.jpg (http://img138.imageshack.us/i/epmagint.jpg/)

I made this video once again with low air and it shows at certain points. The first mode is semi, 2nd mode shown is the reactive trigger (low air is apparent during this) and last but not least some full auto.
YouTube- Mini EP Mag Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cWGssVSAQQ)

:shooting:

bound for glory
05-17-2010, 02:15 AM
so, not to sound like a :tard: but is that a pneumag or electro? starting a mag project myself, and i don't know which to go with...

ProblemKinder
05-17-2010, 04:36 AM
so, not to sound like a :tard: but is that a pneumag or electro? starting a mag project myself, and i don't know which to go with...

it's an EP mag (Electro-pneumatic) in full pneumags there is a 3 way valve actuated by a rod actuated by the trigger pull. in the EP the three way is electronic. everything after the three way is the same.

I don't get the point of EP mags. the attraction to pneumags is that they are super fast AND 100% mechanical. if your gonna go EP you might as well just go full electro IMHO.

this is a sweet marker :cheers:

Hook
05-17-2010, 07:48 AM
Now that is a thing of beauty. Congrats! :shooting:

Toll
05-17-2010, 10:04 AM
The point of anything tends to be "because I can"

Looks great.

mpsd
05-17-2010, 05:18 PM
Looks very good even though I don't like the grips so much (would preffer some rubber ones but that's me). I'm sure that if you apply some ano it'll look even better!

Now, how much pressure do you have comming out of the HPR (the AKA one)? And did you leave any of the internals on the back part of the valve? I mean, is there any o-ring or any other part left on it or just the cap itself?

Anyways, congrats on the project. I love custom stuff like that!

Loguzzzzzz
05-17-2010, 08:54 PM
it's an EP mag (Electro-pneumatic) in full pneumags there is a 3 way valve actuated by a rod actuated by the trigger pull. in the EP the three way is electronic. everything after the three way is the same.

I don't get the point of EP mags. the attraction to pneumags is that they are super fast AND 100% mechanical. if your gonna go EP you might as well just go full electro IMHO.

this is a sweet marker :cheers:
I believe that all other "Electros" except the E-mags and blow backs are technically EP in some form. Spoolies use the solenoid to move the are to the correct chamber. Poppits use the air to cock the ram and or move the ram to hit the poppit valve.

I believe that the EP has a better battery life over the pure electro frame such as the Hyper or Devilmag frame. These require the capacitor to store the energy to have the power to actually trip the mag sear. The EP relies on the LPR to deliver the power to trip the sear. One could argue that the EP will be less efficient that the straight electro but remember, we are talking about Automags here. Efficient and Automag should not really be mentioned in the same sentence. ;) :D

Pneumagger
05-17-2010, 08:58 PM
You can have a mechanical spool marker... you just have to count a sealed chamber volume to meter the shot charge instead of the dwell time.
It's pretty inefficient without the electronics.

sslecyk03
05-17-2010, 09:22 PM
Looks very good even though I don't like the grips so much (would preffer some rubber ones but that's me). I'm sure that if you apply some ano it'll look even better!

Now, how much pressure do you have comming out of the HPR (the AKA one)? And did you leave any of the internals on the back part of the valve? I mean, is there any o-ring or any other part left on it or just the cap itself?

Anyways, congrats on the project. I love custom stuff like that!

Thanks first off.

I also would love to have rubber grips but I can't find any rubber sheeting to make them out of locally. Plus I don't know how well they would come out or how to cut them precisely.

The pressure to the valve is around 500 but I'll have to get a new gauge to double check that.

Beside the cap I also had a new reg pin machined that is shorter to allow it to be capped off and also thinner to allow a higher air flow.

mpsd
05-17-2010, 09:25 PM
Thanks first off.

I also would love to have rubber grips but I can't find any rubber sheeting to make them out of locally. Plus I don't know how well they would come out or how to cut them precisely.

The pressure to the valve is around 500 but I'll have to get a new gauge to double check that.

Beside the cap I also had a new reg pin machined that is shorter to allow it to be capped off and also thinner to allow a higher air flow.

Thanks for the info. Would you mind showing us some pics of the cap and that reg pin you've mentioned?

:cheers:

sslecyk03
05-18-2010, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the info. Would you mind showing us some pics of the cap and that reg pin you've mentioned?

:cheers:

Yea sure I will do that soon

ProblemKinder
05-19-2010, 12:13 AM
I believe that all other "Electros" except the E-mags and blow backs are technically EP in some form. Spoolies use the solenoid to move the are to the correct chamber. Poppits use the air to cock the ram and or move the ram to hit the poppit valve.

I believe that the EP has a better battery life over the pure electro frame such as the Hyper or Devilmag frame. These require the capacitor to store the energy to have the power to actually trip the mag sear. The EP relies on the LPR to deliver the power to trip the sear. One could argue that the EP will be less efficient that the straight electro but remember, we are talking about Automags here. Efficient and Automag should not really be mentioned in the same sentence. ;) :D

well all guns are pnuematic in that they use air to operate in some fashion. but i guess what I'm arguing is the point of using a solenoid to open a 3 way valve allowing air to operate a piston which trips the valve as opposed to just using an MSV-2. seems silly to subject yourself to the chance of your battery dying.

yes, the 'mags do leave a little something to be desired in the efficiency category. I guess now that I got a pneumag on the way I should look into a 4500/90 tank now huh? shoot...these things just keep sucking all my money away!

ProblemKinder
05-19-2010, 12:14 AM
Thanks first off.

i like these grips. :cheers:

BUT... I like the first set you had on better :D

Flatliner333
05-19-2010, 07:51 AM
Can we see some video of it shooting paint? It is cool to see something totally different like this once in awhile. :cheers:

sslecyk03
05-19-2010, 01:47 PM
well all guns are pnuematic in that they use air to operate in some fashion. but i guess what I'm arguing is the point of using a solenoid to open a 3 way valve allowing air to operate a piston which trips the valve as opposed to just using an MSV-2. seems silly to subject yourself to the chance of your battery dying.

yes, the 'mags do leave a little something to be desired in the efficiency category. I guess now that I got a pneumag on the way I should look into a 4500/90 tank now huh? shoot...these things just keep sucking all my money away!

There is something about tripping the microswitch that feels so much smoother than when I had the MSV-2. It is shorter and crisper IMO and my short stroking has been reduced to nothing.

I have been busy as hell lately though and will get more pics and a vid shooting paint asap.

ProblemKinder
05-20-2010, 12:03 AM
There is something about tripping the microswitch that feels so much smoother than when I had the MSV-2. It is shorter and crisper IMO and my short stroking has been reduced to nothing.

I have been busy as hell lately though and will get more pics and a vid shooting paint asap.

i see. what's the advantage of this over full electro? cool factor? :cool:

sslecyk03
05-20-2010, 12:18 AM
i see. what's the advantage of this over full electro? cool factor? :cool:

Whoever said it earlier put it best...most "electros" are actually EP's. The only real difference is using air to trip the sear or using a ram that is powered by air. EP's are less efficient but tend to have better battery life.

ProblemKinder
05-21-2010, 05:23 AM
Whoever said it earlier put it best...most "electros" are actually EP's. The only real difference is using air to trip the sear or using a ram that is powered by air. EP's are less efficient but tend to have better battery life.

the fact that all electros are TECHNICALLY 'EP' is painfully obvious. all guns use air to propel the paintball (hence, all guns are pnuematic) that's a duh. I'm talking about pnuematically actuating the sear as opposed to electrically doing it. obviously once you get past the sear, it's going to be pnuematic. in the future, when I says EP I am referring to a marker that uses a combination of electrons and air particles to actuate the sear.

that being said, you mentioned that a full electro is less efficient? than an EP? how so?

also, just out of curiosity, has anyone actually ever put a board in an EP to take advantage of ramping and what-not, or do they just use a solenoid to open the 3 way and that's it?

sslecyk03
05-21-2010, 12:13 PM
the fact that all electros are TECHNICALLY 'EP' is painfully obvious. all guns use air to propel the paintball (hence, all guns are pnuematic) that's a duh. I'm talking about pnuematically actuating the sear as opposed to electrically doing it. obviously once you get past the sear, it's going to be pnuematic. in the future, when I says EP I am referring to a marker that uses a combination of electrons and air particles to actuate the sear.

that being said, you mentioned that a full electro is less efficient? than an EP? how so?

also, just out of curiosity, has anyone actually ever put a board in an EP to take advantage of ramping and what-not, or do they just use a solenoid to open the 3 way and that's it?
yes..they all have boards. Mine has 8 different firing modes, ramping included. If you watch the video in the first post I showed a few

sslecyk03
05-21-2010, 10:30 PM
So I gave in to temptation and took the ano off the valve....and I must say it looks pretty darn good. Hard to tell it is even a mag now. :ninja:

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1503/img0682a.jpg (http://img132.imageshack.us/i/img0682a.jpg/)

ProblemKinder
05-22-2010, 11:20 PM
So I gave in to temptation and took the ano off the valve....and I must say it looks pretty darn good. Hard to tell it is even a mag now. :ninja:

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1503/img0682a.jpg (http://img132.imageshack.us/i/img0682a.jpg/)

Wow. Looks awesome!