PDA

View Full Version : Physical difference between classic and X valve?

Hobbez
05-18-2010, 08:11 PM
So, I bought my first mag new in '88 and never found anything else that I enjoyed using since. I just kinda skipped the whole x valve and level 10 thing until a few months ago, because I'm a slow shooter who tends to aim. I have a lvl 10 on my classic and love it. Because of that, I have begun to think about an x vavle recently. I've been looking at the exploded diagrams to see the differences. I see the regulator half has a different setup in it than the classic. I am curious about how the different setup makes the x valve so much better and if there is anything that can be done to a classic valve to bring it closer to an x vavle.

Spider-TW
05-19-2010, 10:38 AM
The big difference is in the reg pin in the x-valve. It acts like a regulator bypass when dump chamber pressure drops. This allows the full inlet pressure to sit on top of the on/off pin, so that you have bottle pressure there of 800 psi (+) instead of pressure regulated by the valve back (~475 psi). This gives you the reactive trigger effect and jump starts the dump chamber fill which cuts the fill time to about half (~25-30msec at normal pressures, whereas the classic runs around 50-60 msec)

The RT on/off is nice in classic valves. That and the level 10 are about all you can do to a classic.

If you have a really old AIR valve and have some shootdown, you need to check that the air passage on the reg back lines up at 12 o'clock with the hole in the valve. If not, you can just drill one that does.

If a classic is too slow, you can make an Electro-Pneumatic conversion that reliably keeps up in semi with average human fingers (10-14 bps). Some people don't even need the electro part.

That's what makes mags fun, you can do lots of stuff to them.

athomas
05-19-2010, 04:30 PM
So, I bought my first mag new in '88 ....I assume you mean '98.

What Spider-TW said is bang on. There isn't anything you can do to a classic valve that will make it act like a retro/X valve, although as mentioned, you can make some mods that will improve the performance a tiny bit.

flyingpootang
05-19-2010, 04:56 PM
I would recommend a RT on/off with a .750 pin which will lighten up the trigger pull a lot.