PDA

View Full Version : Old school body, but updated

big poppa fluff
05-19-2010, 10:12 PM
Has anyone ever thought about taking the old school minimag bodies and RT bodies and maybe redoing them. Maybe making them out of aluminum, putting cocker threads in them and a place for a threaded feednecks. Just to update the classics. I have no machining skill so I cant do it. I would like to see what the rest of the A.O. universe thinks. Post your thoughts and the machinist Guru's might answer...For a Price :rofl:

Boltaction
05-19-2010, 10:30 PM
Not quite related.The first mini i had in 99', I made a front grip out of wood that slid over the minimag "slots" on the front if the body. fit my hand perfect and gave it that "rifle" feel. not sure what happened to that piece. mustve sold it with the gun.

PAINTHEY
05-20-2010, 08:58 AM
Part of the attraction to the old school bodies are the unique power feeds and twist loc barrels. You can also take them to an auto body shop and have them blasted for a few buck and it looks brand new.

That being said, a slotted front mini style ule body would be nice.

OPBN
05-20-2010, 10:27 AM
I thought I read that someone on here like Venomous or one of the others was kicking this very idea around? Can't seem to find the thread now. Personally, I would love to see a MiniMag body in aluminum. Heck, I wouldn't mind if it was still twist lock. Problem for me would be price. I'm relatively cheap and not sure if I would pay $140+ for a MM body.

Spider-TW
05-20-2010, 11:35 AM
Are you thinking a ULE body with the minimag/RT extension? That has been relatively ignored I think. Now you could have an extended karta style (or anything else) in the front.

big poppa fluff
05-20-2010, 03:18 PM
Are you thinking a ULE body with the minimag/RT extension? That has been relatively ignored I think. Now you could have an extended karta style (or anything else) in the front.
What I see in my head is the same style minimag body/RT body now just aluminum, ULE ball detentes and with cocker threads. Your gun would be just as lite as the rest, it could be anodized to what ever color you want, you could use cocker barrels which are the most common type, and it would still have that old school look. I just bought a minimag body I'm putting on a pneu-frame and such, I have lots of cocker barrels, but now i have to buy a mag barrel just for one gun. This gun will be the heaviest one I got; That not that big of a problem but i see the potential for better.

sniper15
05-20-2010, 05:00 PM
they make barrel adaptors to go from mag to cocker threads. why not just pick one of those up instead of payin for another barrel?

Hobbez
05-20-2010, 05:48 PM
For me, the point is more keeping the look of the minimag body, but reducing the weight. I for one, would definatly buy an aluminum ULE body that looked like a minimag. What style of barrel it used is irrelevant to me. I'd just pick up a freak back in whatever threads it took :p

big poppa fluff
05-20-2010, 07:39 PM
they make barrel adaptors to go from mag to cocker threads. why not just pick one of those up instead of payin for another barrel?
ya, I know they have those but sometime there hard to find. Also think of the weight difference ans the feedneck opinions... the pro's far out weigh the con's. How much could something like that cost 100.00 to 120.00. People pay way more for aftermarket bodies.

MFM-70
05-21-2010, 07:03 AM
ya, I know they have those but sometime there hard to find. Also think of the weight difference ans the feedneck opinions... the pro's far out weigh the con's. How much could something like that cost 100.00 to 120.00. People pay way more for aftermarket bodies.

Here is a copy of an e-mail reply set to me from Doc's shop about 3 weeks ago concerning the adaptors:

On 4/27/10 10:23 AM wrote:> Doc's> Do you still have any "Automag twist lock to Autococker" thread adaptors?> If so, how much including shipping?

Yes we do, we have about 2-dozen left. They are listed in the store under the parts category here: http://docsshop.com/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=59 and they're included in the current sale for $35.95. Shipping is dependent on where you are, in the US we use Priority Mail and it should come out to about $6.00, overseas is more depending on where you are. Thanks Doc's Shop

Spider-TW
05-21-2010, 08:04 AM
Here is a copy of an e-mail reply set to me from Doc's shop about 3 weeks ago concerning the adaptors:

On 4/27/10 10:23 AM wrote:> Doc's> Do you still have any "Automag twist lock to Autococker" thread adaptors?> If so, how much including shipping?

Yes we do, we have about 2-dozen left. They are listed in the store under the parts category here: http://docsshop.com/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=59 and they're included in the current sale for $35.95. Shipping is dependent on where you are, in the US we use Priority Mail and it should come out to about $6.00, overseas is more depending on where you are. Thanks Doc's Shop
That's a good sign to see before you order. Doc does them in runs, so people can get disappointed when they throw some money at Doc in paypal and nothing happens. If you catch him during "shop season" his service is great.

big poppa fluff
05-21-2010, 09:55 AM

thanks for the link I'll pick one of these up. :dance:

sniper15
05-21-2010, 09:59 AM
i was gonna say something bout docs but totally forgot earlier lol if i had the money id snag one right now they look great

sjrtk
05-21-2010, 02:28 PM
I like the idea or an aluminum mini styled body. If it cost the same as a standard ULE i'd buy 1 or mabey 2 if i can sneek it past the woman.

DevilMan
05-21-2010, 02:31 PM
I would like to see an AL body, centerfeed like the ULE but able to take TL barrels! Of course then there is the shortage of CF TL barrels. Sooo... a slight offset feed would be cool as well.

DM