PDA

View Full Version : Powder Coating ULE type bodies

gunangel
05-20-2010, 08:27 PM
Hey folks,

I'm looking to get a few of my mag parts powdercoated including a few ULE type bodies with the stainless steel washers. Is it alright to leave it in during the powdercoating process? If not, can someone point me in the direction of proper removal method?

Thanks!

Saleenlmz
05-20-2010, 09:48 PM
For powdercoating it's ok to leave the steel washers in. The curing oven is usually around 400F. For ano it's needed to be removed.

gunangel
05-21-2010, 01:23 AM
that's what i thought since it only needs to be coated on the outside. the cleaning/prep bath won't do anything will it?

thanks for the reply!

Saleenlmz
05-21-2010, 10:11 AM
It depends on how they prep it. The wash is a mild etching solution or heavy degreaser. They most likely will be able to apply the powder over the ano but they may want to bead blast it first. I would recommended talking to the company your going with to see what they think is best. Also you should remove the feedneck, as they can tape or plug the threads off. If you don't the powder will join the two parts during the curing process and will be more difficult to remove later.

Shirow
05-21-2010, 11:05 AM
When I had mine powdercoated, it was bead blasted first to remove the existing anno. If they are going to do a bath, you probably still need to remove the washer.

Just ask 'em.

gunangel
05-21-2010, 01:25 PM
thank you very much!

Shane-O-Mac
05-21-2010, 02:32 PM
Ken at KP Customs is the man to go to for Powder Coating. He will know exactly what needs to be done.

athomas
05-21-2010, 04:02 PM
Make sure if they paint or powder coat, that any bare aluminum is zincate coated first. If not, then the paint/powdercoat will eventually come off when the aluminum oxidizes under the coating. Don't powder coat inside the body or at the point of contact where the body sits on the rail. The extra thickness in these areas will make the setup be out of tolerance for proper operation.