PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy question....

diablo779
05-22-2010, 09:23 PM
Tonight I sighted in my red dot sight, more or less, but i still get a bit of strays. Most of them land in a pretty decent and tight group, but a quarter to a third of them fall within a circle about 3x the size. Any suggestions as to why this may be?

Thanks

68 Automag
X-Valve
ULE trigger pull kit
Tac One Warp Right mainbody
Q-Loader
18" all aluminum Dye Boomstick
Holographic Red Dot sight
and of course, compressed air

Paintballs used today were RPS Premium, but I normally try to use Marballizers when I'm able to.

runningboar
05-22-2010, 09:36 PM
Tonight I sighted in my red dot sight, more or less, but i still get a bit of strays. Most of them land in a pretty decent and tight group, but a quarter to a third of them fall within a circle about 3x the size. Any suggestions as to why this may be?

Wind, flat spots or dimples in the paint, variations in diameter of the paint, where the paintball was sitting in the breach when it was fired or any number of other things that I didn't mention.

Painball guns are not tackdrivers, regardless of what manufacturers claim. Some days the planets line up, the humidity is just right and the paint is fresh and you are able to shoot BBs, most days that is not the case. My experience is a sight on a paintball gun is just a reference point and once you have shot enough paint through your gun you can be just as accurate with kentucky windage. Chris

Ando
05-22-2010, 10:25 PM
Painball guns are not tackdrivers, regardless of what manufacturers claim. Some days the planets line up, the humidity is just right and the paint is fresh and you are able to shoot BBs, most days that is not the case. My experience is a sight on a paintball gun is just a reference point and once you have shot enough paint through your gun you can be just as accurate with kentucky windage. Chris
I approve this message.

mark cody
05-22-2010, 10:47 PM
Sights on paintball guns are useless you walk paintballs on target.To many varying factors for accurate paintball flight.

Boltaction
05-23-2010, 07:37 AM
what runningboar said.

Shirow
05-23-2010, 08:55 AM
Any suggestions as to why this may be?

You are shooting a paintball gun.

sjrtk
05-23-2010, 11:30 AM
Copy and paste above responses. The only marker i have a sight on is my Pro-Carbine (it looks cool) i use it as a reference for ranging a target. The battery died years ago and I never replaced it, works better with out it anyway.

diablo779
05-23-2010, 11:47 AM
Painball guns are not tackdrivers, regardless of what manufacturers claim.

I do understand this, I just figured the variances would be somewhat consistent, as opposed to 6 or 8 in a row almost on top of each other, and then 3 or 4 way off in all different directions. The paint is brand new, so I doubt it's had a chance to dimple yet, but maybe there's some size variances. I do use the red dot as a guide, and half the time I just sight down the barrel, especially for quick shots.

Does anyone have any opinions about the Evil Pipe system? I've thought about trying it for a while.

Thanks for all the input

Drix
05-23-2010, 01:18 PM
Having used barrel systems for a while now, I'm not sure I've ever noticed any sort of accuracy increase with having barrel backs- the only thing I've seen is the ability to manipulate breaks under certain weather conditions and slight efficiency differences. You may want to rethink your approach to a kit as opposed to finding one or two barrels that you like (maybe a .682 and a .689)

runningboar
05-24-2010, 03:13 AM
Does anyone have any opinions about the Evil Pipe system? I've thought about trying it for a while.

Thanks for all the input

I might have a lot of people disagree but I think the paint is more important than the barrel. I have gotten some really good paint that shot great out of several different barrels and bores, on the other hand, I have never seen even the most expensive barrel compensate for crappy paint. I do have a nice freak system for my autococker, I hate roll outs, but for my mags I have an old J and J that works very well for me. Chris

Loneassassin
05-24-2010, 08:58 AM
I might have a lot of people disagree but I think the paint is more important than the barrel. I have gotten some really good paint that shot great out of several different barrels and bores, on the other hand, I have never seen even the most expensive barrel compensate for crappy paint. I do have a nice freak system for my autococker, I hate roll outs, but for my mags I have an old J and J that works very well for me. Chris

I agree with this. And you can't just buy high-end paint and assume that it will all shoot with the same accuracy. Unless every ball is consistent and dimple free, they won't all shoot accurately. That said, I've been shooting Marbalizers for a long time and for me, they've always been extremely accurate and consistant. I've never seen a mishapen Marbalizer paintball...

With paintballs, you get what you pay for. I've actually observed for awhile now that it might indeed be less expensive in the long run to buy more expensive paint. Because with excellent paint I can one-ball people in the hoppers, elbows, and feet all day, whereas low-end paint I have to keep shooting to get eliminations.

Shirow
05-24-2010, 09:57 AM
In regards to barrel kits, I've come to the conclusion that they are mostly useless, especially if they have a ton of closely spaced backs.

Most people agree, I think, that you are better off over or underboring - specific paint to barrel match seems to be the worst. You also can't assume every ball will be exactly the same size so even if you wanted a perfect paint->barrel match, you're not going to get it.

I think if I was going to buy barrels all over again (already have a kit) I'd just get one big bored barrel and one small or just do something like get a Deadlywind barrel and get a large insert with it (689 or 687) and a small Ty brass insert (675) and stop there.

I have a J&J edge kit with a 684, 687, 689 and 693 back selection, I mostly use nothing but 687. 684 isn't small enough to really underbore and 687 is big enough to overbore the field paint where I play.

I doubt I will ever use the 689 or 693 backs.

If you don't really care about efficiency (which, honestly, I really don't at this point.. if the field has free air, who cares?) just get a Lapco Bigshot or whatever barrel you like with a decently large bore and use that.

XM15
05-24-2010, 10:57 AM
I agree with everthing posted. Paintball guns are no different than a musket. They shoot a imperfectly round ball down a smooth bore barrel. A ball is not the best shape for a projectile for accuracy and distance. The other problem is trigger control and gun control when firing a paintball gun is pretty close to non exsistant. The gun is jerking and pulling all the time. The balls are slow enough that it is easy to throw fliers off target. Shoot a real firearm the way most guys shoot a paintball gun and the target will look like a shot gun hit it. Its actually amazing paintball guns are as acurate as they are.