PDA

View Full Version : Shoebox compressor review

BigEvil
05-25-2010, 08:36 AM
I got a sneak peak at the new Shoebox Compressor that Beemer brought with him to demo this past Tunaball weekend.

I have more pics which I will dig up later, but for now, here is one of it in action with the cover off;

http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s338/BigEvilOnline/Tunaball%204/DSC_0224.jpg

You can see the input line on top feeding it 85 psi from a small shop compressor. Beemer brougth along a small $40 Harbor Freight unit which was more than adequate to do the job.

You can also see my 68/4500 psi Crossfire tank all hooked up. We started out at about 800 psi in that tank before we ran the Shoebox.

Construction
The unit looks very well built, something we all take for granted when it comes to anything TK puts his name on. The outside case has a nice thick red powdercoat on it, and there are big beefy rubber feet on the bottom of the unit which both protects the underside of the motor and stops everything from bouncing around (or off a bench).

The motor itself likes very durable and quite possibly overkill. We filled several tanks over the course of the evening and I don't think that it would have broken a sweat.

The on/off switch is on the top middle front of the unit. It is that big spring looking thing in the pic, and reminds me of a giant "Ace Switch" that is found on the Xmags.

There is also a bleeder knob on the bottom front right above the output nipple.

The whole front is enclosed by a nice uncoated sheet metal cover that is easily removed with 4 allen screws.

Everything from the cylinders to the hard lines and fittings look very robust and easy to access.

The only thing I can really critique is that they used a glass fuse instead of a plastic one, but im kinda picky.

Operation
Stupidly simple. Plug in your 1/4" nipple from the 85-100 psi air supply to the top, Hook your tank to a 1/8 output nipple on the bottom and turn the unit on.

85 psi goes in the top, to the first stage piston, out to the second stage piston where it gets further compressed, then out to the tank.

The shut off on the Shoebox is simple and ingenious. A spring loaded lever 'bumps' the switch off when the tension on it builds up from the pressure in the cylinder reaching 4500psi.

Yes, watching it fill a tank is like watching your grass grow. It helped that there was still some air in the tank to begin with. I think it took about 2 1/2 hrs to fill that particular one. The one after was just about empty and took approximately 3hrs.

The Shoebox itself is not nearly as noisy as the shop compressor. That small one we used for the demo had to kick on regularly due to the small size of the resevoir, and that added to the noise some. I figure that if I hooked one of these up to my shop compressor with the 50 gallon tank, it would not need to kick on nearly as often.

Another really great side effect of all of this, is that when your tank is finished filling, it is basically at ambient temperature. That means that it wont cool off and the pressure in your tank wont drop.

Conclusion
I was kinda on the fence about picking one of these up, but after getting a chance to play around with one im sold. For the amount of tinkering and tech work I do these days, it will be great to have a virtually unlimited supply of air.

Big thumbs up from BigE :cheers:

MeŠiCX
05-25-2010, 08:55 AM
Very cool! I'm hoping to check one out at LL3 this weekend.

Mongoose
05-25-2010, 09:03 AM
I must say i was very impressed with it @ tunaball.

And beemer should be the next billy mays.....he did a great job of explaining it and answered every question i had.

Temo Vryce
05-25-2010, 09:03 AM
We're all kinda biased towards Tom here, but that's a great review all the same. If played more I would consider picking up one myself. Here's hoping that they sell like hotcakes.

Smoothice
05-25-2010, 09:13 AM
I'm pretty impressed it was filling that fast. I mean initially it was supposed to
take 24 hours.

Tunaman
05-25-2010, 09:17 AM
I will second the review. I was the lucky soul to get the first one. I am trying to blow this thing up but it ain't happening. Very high quality and really works great. Gonna fill the scuba with it today and see how that goes. Another great product from TK. A "must have" for any serious paintballer or tinkerer.

CatoRockwell
05-25-2010, 10:18 AM
So here's the real question: How do i get my hands on one of these if i cant make it to LL3?

Tunaman
05-25-2010, 10:29 AM
So here's the real question: How do i get my hands on one of these if i cant make it to LL3?
tom@tomkaye.com as far as I know. I believe he is going to sell the first batch then give the dealers a crack at it.

Newt
05-25-2010, 10:33 AM
Any chance these will be at dday this year?

garbageman705
05-25-2010, 01:35 PM
How much do they cost.

Dayspring
05-25-2010, 03:12 PM
How much do they cost.

Last I heard, ~$400

Beemer
05-25-2010, 06:22 PM
Beemer Mays......Hmmm. :ninja:

First, from dead empty to FULL on a 4500/72ci takes 4Hrs.

There should be some for sale at LL. ;)

That one wont break Tuna. We already broke all the demolition models in the shop and fixed the issues. Then again there are a few things we didnt try yet.......carry on with trying to blow it up. :cool:

Keep an eye on TK's compressor thread for availability.

http://home.comcast.net/~beemerone/AoIL.gif

GoatBoy
05-25-2010, 07:20 PM
So what is the recommended setup to keep the air filtered and moisture-free?

Guardian
05-25-2010, 07:44 PM
^^^I would imagine a filter & moisture trap on the output of the air compressor .^^^

Question for Big E or Tuna since I just sent Tom an Email . Is there a kill switch or can the compressor be safely shut off in the middle of filling a tank ? Most of my tanks are 3K's .

going_home
05-25-2010, 08:11 PM
I must say i was very impressed with it @ tunaball.

And beemer should be the next billy mays.....he did a great job of explaining it and answered every question i had.

That does have a good ring to it.

Billy Beemer !

Great job !

:clap:

BigEvil
05-25-2010, 08:58 PM
^^^I would imagine a filter & moisture trap on the output of the air compressor .^^^

Question for Big E or Tuna since I just sent Tom an Email . Is there a kill switch or can the compressor be safely shut off in the middle of filling a tank ? Most of my tanks are 3K's .

That lever with the spring on it is the on/off switch.

smilestyler
05-26-2010, 08:29 AM
That lever with the spring on it is the on/off switch.
Perhaps he means "Is there an automatic shutoff at 3000 psi?"

Tunaman
05-26-2010, 11:59 AM
no. 4500 but that can be adjusted down to 3000

cockerpunk
05-26-2010, 12:29 PM
can't wait to get mine!

Doc Nickel
05-29-2010, 04:59 AM
Who do I have to make fun of in a comic strip (http://www.the-whiteboard.com/autotwb1219.html) to get one of these?

Doc.

doc_Zox
05-29-2010, 08:09 AM
bill & adams magic box using jugaloo magnets would be a good start

CatoRockwell
05-29-2010, 09:47 AM
Who do I have to make fun of in a comic strip (http://www.the-whiteboard.com/autotwb1219.html) to get one of these?

Doc.
Airsoft please? I know it's a really easy target, but it would be funny. I read a lot of your comics, but I haven't read every single one. If you did already make fun of it, please forward link.

Or you could make a comic about the illustrious Tom Kaye returning to paintball and the Gardner Bro's declaring bankruptcy.

Oddux
05-30-2010, 02:15 AM
When're we looking at getting an actual FAQ for this thing? There are a number of questions that have been floating around some with two different answers (such as a 3k shutoff).

AGD
05-30-2010, 08:26 AM
FAQ has been up for a while on the facebook page under "Info"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Miniature-Compressor-for-Paintball/216287806129?v=info&ref=ts

AGD