PDA

View Full Version : Weird tank issue...

Frizzle Fry
05-25-2010, 08:51 PM
I recently picked up a 68/45 off another forum. It included Angel "Lok-Sok" skins/tank-covers.

Anyway, the tank looks good, but when I pulled the bottom skin, I found that the butt of the tank was covered in some sort of rubbercement-like substance. I'm guessing that the previous owner did this to keep the Lok-Soks on (they tend to fall off) but now I don't know how to get rid of it without potentially damaging the resin coating of the tank!

Any thoughts on how to remove it? I'm gonna contact the seller to see why he did this, but it was very freshly hydro'ed so I'm not too worried about it covering damage.

runningboar
05-26-2010, 05:27 AM
I recently picked up a 68/45 off another forum. It included Angel "Lok-Sok" skins/tank-covers.

Anyway, the tank looks good, but when I pulled the bottom skin, I found that the butt of the tank was covered in some sort of rubbercement-like substance. I'm guessing that the previous owner did this to keep the Lok-Soks on (they tend to fall off) but now I don't know how to get rid of it without potentially damaging the resin coating of the tank!

Any thoughts on how to remove it? I'm gonna contact the seller to see why he did this, but it was very freshly hydro'ed so I'm not too worried about it covering damage.

GOO Gone?

Hook
05-26-2010, 06:38 AM
Got any pictures you could share?

BigEvil
05-26-2010, 06:49 AM
If its rubber cement you can just peel it off. If its hard, carefully chip it off.

M98Punk
05-26-2010, 09:26 AM
Goo Gone! It works on almost anything and is pretty darn harmless

correia3
05-26-2010, 09:32 AM
Goo Gone. Elmer's makes a product called "Sticky Out" that is basically the same thing if you can't get Goo Gone.

Newt
05-26-2010, 09:44 AM
The fiberglass or carbon fiber is an epoxy based material, so it's going to be very resilient to most chemicals you put on it. Solvents in descending order of caustic strength:

Aircraft stripper (will remove even anodizing)
Lacquer thinner (acetone plus some nasty stuff as I understand)
Acetone (will thin uncured epoxy resin. may weaken dried epoxy, fiberglass, or carbon fiber)
Mineral Spirits/paint thinner
alcohol
orange stuff/natural cleaners, etc

When you're unsure about a substance, it's a good idea to start at the low end, and go with the first thing that works well as you work up the list.
Hope that helps!

Frizzle Fry
05-26-2010, 02:39 PM
Goo-Gone is one of my go-to cleaning products, followed by Simple Green. I just wanted to be sure there was no risk.

Whatever this material is, I've ruled out rubber cement and hot glue because it's a little too squishy.

I'll try to get some pictures.

Frizzle Fry
05-26-2010, 03:36 PM
Goo-Gone, Simple Green, and cleaning alcohol (used separately of course) aren't doing it.

Anybody know if Besting Rubber Cement Thinner will damage the carbon fiber?
http://papercement.com/eco_thinner.html

I can't seem to find a list of ingredients.

GoatBoy
05-27-2010, 12:13 PM
Without seeing the nature of the stuff, if you don't want to use chemicals, can you just mechanically scrape the adhesive off? I.e. sit down with an old plastic credit card and just scrape/pick it off?