PDA

View Full Version : RT finish question

marked74
05-26-2010, 09:35 AM
Hey All,

I have an original RT (serial #00052 on the valve) that I'm in the process of restoring. At some point during it's history, a prior owner -painted- the body and rail. It's a very nice electric blue color, but it's spraypaint and therefore thick and it chips a lot. My first thought was to sand it down but I don't want to mess up anything underneath the spraypaint.

So - what was the marker finished with originally? Was it polished, or flat black? And, what can I do to safely get the spraypaint off?

Thanks!

Jacobd
05-26-2010, 11:24 AM
Soak it in paint stripper or another strong solvent and wipe the goop off. That should also reveal the original finish, unless the prior owner did something to it or it was the factory black finish (but hopefully no one would paint over that)

cougar20th
05-26-2010, 11:27 AM
I have successfully used acetone to strip paint of parts without hurting the anodizing. Just whatever you use do it in a well ventilated area.

marked74
05-26-2010, 11:43 AM
Awesome - thanks guys. Times like this I'm happy to have a garage and warm weather :) I'll let you know what it looks like underneath the goop.